April 16, 2024, 04:15:59 PM

News:

Speaking of cv carbs

Started by 76shuvlinoff, December 17, 2018, 04:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

The other cv  thread has me interested again.

93" S&S "shovel" long block, Andrews 7 cam, dual plugged heads, 2Ki sparker, thunderheader.

I had a 40mm cv on it with a Leineweber cam that did not have enough duration and gave me 205-210 cyl pressure. It always cranked hard but once it was running it had great manners. The Andrews 7 got me down to 185 psi. Then I did something stupid and changed to a 44cv without a test ride. Since then the bike has been real cold blooded. Once good and hot it's fine. I have not tinkered with needles or jetting.

My question: is a 40mm cv adequate to run a 93" mill well into it's top end? I could not get there with the other cam.  I am tempted to go back to the smaller carb for the next season just to see how it behaves now.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Do you leave the enrichener on for a while, or do you push it in as soon as it will idle without killing? I run with mine on and let it go in by itself, works best for me that way.
Do you know what jets and needle are in there now?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

You know the smaller carb couldn't keep up with the old cam, but the new cam doesn't change your displacement, and will still need a lot of fuel and air on the top end. I would work on the 44 first. You know it works when warm, try and get the cold manners dialed in.

Ohio HD

Mark, here's some carburetor flow data from a shootout test that Mr. Max put together some time back. The entire report is too large to post, so here is just the flow numbers.

The CV40 data with or without a backing plate shows the flow at about 160 cfm @ 10. The CV51 at 1.55% more, about 250 cfm @ 10. So in my best guess, the CV44 can't be tremendously more flow that the CV40, I would guess around 20% more, or about 192 cfm @ 10.

I would try to jet the CV44 more to your motor. I don't think its at all too much carburetor, as the S&S E is 197 cfm @ 10.

[attach=0]

76shuvlinoff

Thanks guys, since I never write a damn thing down I'd have to open the carb to see what's in it. As I recall I could not kill the motor when I bottomed the idle screw so there's something else going on with it. When I parked it on the lift this fall it was overflowing so I need to take it apart anyhow.

Hoss,
I usually let it idle maybe a minute but not much more then shove the enrichener in and go. A 1/2 mile away at the first stop the idle sucks, at 2 miles it still isn't smooth but at 6-8 miles it's fine.  The 40mm was pushbutton but seemed to come up a little softer at the top. The E I have on the shelf was good at the top but I never got it smooth down low.  I don't even try to pretend to be a carb guy.

Fuel injection has spoiled me  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

Mark, HD J01696 has part numbers of items you may need.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/content/document/view?parameters=highlight%3D27934-99&id=1310

I also had this stashed away, HD numbers for jets and needles. I haven't verified their accuracy or if even available. Was just some data I ran across once and saved.

HD Tuner Kit (P/N 27419-99)
Main Jets
number 200 - 27105-88
number 210 - 27726-99
number 220 - 27775-99
number 230 - 27776-99
number 240 - 27778-99
number 250 - 27779-99

Spring 130/210 gm 27728-99

Slow Jets (3)
number 48 - 27165-90
number 50 - 27724-99
number 52 - 27780-99

Jet Needles (Listed Lean to Rich)
27727-99
27933-99
27967-99
27968-99

Hossamania

Leave the enrichener on when you start riding, it will idle down after a bit. CV carbs aren't like the E carbs when cold.
Like you said, once you get into it you may find an issue, and might have to play with jetting a bit.
If you can find the tuner kit Ohio listed, get it.

FSG

72fl

Quote from: FSG on December 18, 2018, 12:00:41 AM
J01696   SCREAMIN' EAGLE® BIG BORE 44 mm CV CARBURETOR KIT, 27934-99

I have a Screaming Eagle sitting out in the garage, it has a Black plastic knob to pull up for enrichner. Needs to be gone through as that will be done in the Spring. It has been a while since I looked at it, it has a what appears to be a Black Plastic type of adapter on one end of it, I don't see it in the parts break down drawing you attached, any idea what it is used for ?

Hogman

Just a Thought 72, First off, IF it's Plastic, I Really DON'T Know, But IF it's a Rubber Piece, it could very well be the Adapter to the Manifold. A Pic Might be Helpful in This, 72. Good Luck!!!!

ME
Hogman

JW113

Mark, the general rule of thumb with the CV40 is, on an Evo, they start to nose over around 90HP. Just my humble opinion, but seeings how the Shovelhead ports & valve angles don't typically flow as well as the Evo, I think a CV40 is plenty of carb for 93" Shovelhead motor for general street duty. If you were tuning for max HP for the drag strip, perhaps not, but I know that's not what you have in mind.

That said, the CV44 should be able to be tuned to resolve the cold blooded behavior. If you can dial in the idle jet clear to the seat and the motor is still running, that indicates that you have the throttle plate (idle speed screw) adjusted such that it's past the low speed transfer ports, and they are now acting like your idle jet. If you can pull the carb and look at the back end, you will likely see this is the case.

I fought a similar issue with mine, and I think it has to do with cam selection. Performance cams tend have poor manifold vacuum at idle, and don't pull enough air/fuel to keep the motor running. So the natural tendency is to open the idle speed screw to get it to idle. This has the consequence of exposing the transfer ports. The usual solution then is to drill an air bleed hole in the throttle plate, so that more idle air can get past the plate without having to open the plate past the transfer ports. It took me three or four attempts to find the right size bleed hole, of course starting small and gradually increasing.

On the cold blooded behavior, in general that's not such a bad thing other than the stumbling and coughing you have to endure until the motor gets warmed up nice and hot. My Ironhead is exactly that way also, so the solution is to use ever so much enrichener to get past that without trashing the spark plugs. Of course if you want to try and tune it the starting place is with the low speed jet. I typically use a 45 or 48. You can try increasing beyond that but your fuel mileage will take a hit at 50 or beyond. The other thing that can help the CV is to lift the slider needle with some shims, to get it into the tapered region sooner.

cheers,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on December 18, 2018, 09:05:47 AM
Mark, the general rule of thumb with the CV40 is, on an Evo, they start to nose over around 90HP. Just my humble opinion, but seeings how the Shovelhead ports & valve angles don't typically flow as well as the Evo, I think a CV40 is plenty of carb for 93" Shovelhead motor for general street duty. If you were tuning for max HP for the drag strip, perhaps not, but I know that's not what you have in mind.

That said, the CV44 should be able to be tuned to resolve the cold blooded behavior. If you can dial in the idle jet clear to the seat and the motor is still running, that indicates that you have the throttle plate (idle speed screw) adjusted such that it's past the low speed transfer ports, and they are now acting like your idle jet. If you can pull the carb and look at the back end, you will likely see this is the case.

I fought a similar issue with mine, and I think it has to do with cam selection. Performance cams tend have poor manifold vacuum at idle, and don't pull enough air/fuel to keep the motor running. So the natural tendency is to open the idle speed screw to get it to idle. This has the consequence of exposing the transfer ports. The usual solution then is to drill an air bleed hole in the throttle plate, so that more idle air can get past the plate without having to open the plate past the transfer ports. It took me three or four attempts to find the right size bleed hole, of course starting small and gradually increasing.

On the cold blooded behavior, in general that's not such a bad thing other than the stumbling and coughing you have to endure until the motor gets warmed up nice and hot. My Ironhead is exactly that way also, so the solution is to use ever so much enrichener to get past that without trashing the spark plugs. Of course if you want to try and tune it the starting place is with the low speed jet. I typically use a 45 or 48. You can try increasing beyond that but your fuel mileage will take a hit at 50 or beyond. The other thing that can help the CV is to lift the slider needle with some shims, to get it into the tapered region sooner.

cheers,
JW
another good summary jw

76shuvlinoff

Thanks JW, you've given me something to look for when I get into it.  :up:

It's been a while but I do remember it was a struggle getting a decent idle when I put it on. I need to get in there fix my stuck float plus check the jetting and needle anyhow. You're right, I'm not looking for drag strip performance, just a "Potty mouth" eating grin once in awhile.  :teeth:

And thanks to you all who commented plus Ohio and FSG for the parts info. I bookmarked this thread so I can come back to it.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rageglide

I ran a CV40 on a 95" Twincam, it had no issues pulling hard all the way to the rev limiter (6500).  Ran great

koko3052

Quote from: rageglide on December 19, 2018, 02:22:16 PM
I ran a CV40 on a 95" Twincam, it had no issues pulling hard all the way to the rev limiter (6500).  Ran great

BIG difference on intake flows from a twinky to a shovel! :doh:

72fl

Quote from: 72fl on December 18, 2018, 04:09:49 AM
Quote from: FSG on December 18, 2018, 12:00:41 AM
J01696   SCREAMIN' EAGLE® BIG BORE 44 mm CV CARBURETOR KIT, 27934-99

I have a Screaming Eagle sitting out in the garage, it has a Black plastic knob to pull up for enrichner. Needs to be gone through as that will be done in the Spring. It has been a while since I looked at it, it has a what appears to be a Black Plastic type of adapter on one end of it, I don't see it in the parts break down drawing you attached, any idea what it is used for ?

It actually was an adapter on the outlet side touse on different 3 and 4 bolt type air cleaner assemblies.

FSG

A few months ago I gave a younger brother an unmolested CV from an 05 Fatty to put on an 84 FXEF, I've no idea what jets he's running in it although I should find out.

76shuvlinoff

QuoteA few months ago I gave a younger brother an unmolested CV from an 05 Fatty to put on an 84 FXEF, I've no idea what jets he's running in it although I should find out.

Probably fired right up and he hasn't been home since.  :wink:
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Ha ha ha! Oh I mean Ho Ho Ho!

Don't know why, not a big fan of those rubber spiggot mounts that bolt to the Shov/Iron 2 bolt flange. Have become a fan of those adapters (from Killer Motorcycle Parts for example) that you JB weld to the CV and turn it into a 2 bolt flange. They are totally too cool for school IMO.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

JW   :agree:   I also told him that BUT ........  sometimes you have to work with what you can get hold of

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JW113 on December 25, 2018, 06:37:51 PM
Ha ha ha! Oh I mean Ho Ho Ho!

Don't know why, not a big fan of those rubber spiggot mounts that bolt to the Shov/Iron 2 bolt flange. Have become a fan of those adapters (from Killer Motorcycle Parts for example) that you JB weld to the CV and turn it into a 2 bolt flange. They are totally too cool for school IMO.

-JW

Both CVs I've had on the 76 have those JB welded adapters.  :up: :up:

- Ernest Hemingway

rageglide

Quote from: koko3052 on December 24, 2018, 06:39:23 PM
Quote from: rageglide on December 19, 2018, 02:22:16 PM

BIG difference on intake flows from a twinky to a shovel! :doh:

No argument.  Only commented because many feel a CV40 is too small for a larger displacement engine. 

Burnout

January 02, 2019, 09:01:42 AM #22 Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:08:09 AM by Burnout
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on December 17, 2018, 05:37:18 PM

Thanks guys, since I never write a damn thing down I'd have to open the carb to see what's in it. As I recall I could not kill the motor when I bottomed the idle screw so there's something else going on with it. When I parked it on the lift this fall it was overflowing so I need to take it apart anyhow.

Hoss,
I usually let it idle maybe a minute but not much more then shove the enrichener in and go. A 1/2 mile away at the first stop the idle sucks, at 2 miles it still isn't smooth but at 6-8 miles it's fine.  The 40mm was pushbutton but seemed to come up a little softer at the top. The E I have on the shelf was good at the top but I never got it smooth down low.  I don't even try to pretend to be a carb guy.

Fuel injection has spoiled me  :embarrassed:

This is normal CV carb behavior Trying to improve cold running will usually result in a drop in mileage, and make it want to blacken spark plugs.

Like JW sez, The idle mix screw not stalling the motor is probably because the throttle plate is open too far and it is pulling fuel from the transfer port.
Some guys drill a hole in the butterfly to get the throttle plate to close more for a more tune able idle.
I don't know what size hole to drill, it probably varies with different setups, so this is a trial and error thing.
Throttle plate position should be verified before going down this rabbit hole.

I am also a big fan of the press/glue on carb adapters. The rubber works but not for the long run, and I don't care for the floppy fit.
Although the solid adapter still needs support at the air cleaner backing plate.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hybredhog

A 40cv will have higher vacuum at the carb than a 44cv, helping starting & low speed performance. So bigger jets in a 44 will probably be to rich, vs. what the carb was designed for, bigger C.I. (draw), & better flowing heads, not exactly a shovel's head can deliver on average. Just for an example on old Kiehin butterfly carbs, 74ci. typically used a slightly larger jets than 80ci. Just because it took bigger jets to just get more fuel into the cylinder from lack of draw. the same basic thing happens when you try a S&S on a sporty.
    what I've used on some transitional fuel delivery problems, is to use a small file & just make a very small notch on the butterfly in line with the idle feed hole. It lets a little earlier/ and wider delivery from the passage, and only marginally more opening of the idle screw. Also you want a stock size slide hole on the slide, so it doesn't open to early.   
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

dirtymike

I sure would like to see a pic of this notch.Is it a 90 degree cut or a round cut. Dirty