March 29, 2024, 08:17:43 AM

News:

Pinion shaft oem measurements

Started by biker7, January 10, 2019, 09:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biker7

Does anybody know the std oem OD measurements of the pinion shaft end that goes to the bushing on a 1973 up Shovel? Mine's measures .561 Od on shaft and bushing ID measures .5625  I will replace the bushing but need to know if there is wear in the shaft before ordering or having a bushing made. Having oil pressure loss when oil warms up.

Ohio HD

Pinion to bushing fit is 0.0005" to 0.0012".  I don't know the new pinion size.

biker7

Thanks, the parameters in the repair manual I have state .0004 to .0012 but 1 tenth is not a problem. I called JIMS USA (since that was the manufacturer of the pinion shaft, according to previous owner) but the gentleman that took the call did not have any specs besides being made to OEM std size. I will really appreciate if someone can tell me the std size, before I make a desicion on a std size or oversize bushing. to

Burnout

Shovelheads have oil pressure?

As I understand it the only oil "pressure" in a Shovelhead is the check ball return spring and the light switch is activated by the backpressure from that.
Anything else is coincedental.

Are the lifters clattering?

What weight oil are you using?
Are you using 20-50w without an oil cooler?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

biker7

As I understand, all have some type of oil pressure, that is what the idiot light is for, to let you know you have no oil pressure, although it is more important to have oil flow.   
It is going to 0 on the gauge and light is going on when it warms up, 70w oil ( I live in Puerto Rico, 90+ weather year round). On the second ride I took on it, the front exhaust lifter did clatter for several minutes. After performing several procedures and checking other parts for tolerance, the only thing that seems to be out or on the last allowed tolerance measurement is the pinion shaft bushing. That is the last step before changing the oil pump for another one that I know works. Right now all I need is the oem std measure for the pinion shaft to verify against the meausre I have on mine to determine what bushing size to buy. Anybody out there who can help with the measurements pleeeeeeeeeezzzz?☺️

Ohio HD

If your measurements are accurate, I doubt that the bushing clearance 0.0003" out of tolerance is going to cause the oil light to come on. I agree if in there to make things as good as possible. I doubt that cam cover has an 0.0003" repeatable location when removing and installing it.

xlfan

The oversize reference for the pinion bushing is for OD of bushing in regards to cam cover.

If changed, pinion bushing needs to be line reamed with engine case as reamer guide.

Burnout

Most gauges that go to 60# will not show 3#.

But with 70w I would expect a bit more. Is the oil tank burn your hand hot when this happens?
Is it repeatable? Or a one time thing?

What turns on the idiot light is the spring pressure from the check ball.
If that spring is weak it may not create enough back presssure turn off the light.
In addition if a Non OEM style light switch is used it may not work at the low pressures seen on a Shovel.
I think the shovel switch has a 3# set point, many replacement switches may be higher 5-7#

You say a lifter did go soft, have you checked the lifter screen?

Do you have an oil filter in the return? If so I would cut it open to see if it has trapped metal in it.

I measured .5615 and .561 on the 3 shafts I could find in my junque pile.
I don't have an inside mic to measure any of the cover bushings.

biker7

Now we talkin'!!!  After the maiden ride I took on it I changed oil and screw on filter, put the oil screen with spring, since it didn't have one, dissasembled oil pump, took off head,  cylinders, and lifter blocks, blew all air passages, lappedthe valves, measured valve guides clearance, measured each tappet for tolerance and checked the bushing to shaft tolerance, which was the only one out of specs. I assembled everything took a second ride and same thing, light comes on after 20- 30 minutes of riding when idling and it progressess as it keeps getting warmer. It does have oil flow. I took cam cover off and will replace bushing to minimum tolerance. Will change pressure swith to check, but all pressure switches from 1941 to 1984 (non Evo) have the same application, what changes is the design and type of wire terminal on the switch, they all activate at the same low pressure. Will post results as soon as possible. Thanks to all for the help.

Burnout

Unless the oil is at 300° or the check ball spring is not stock and the pressure relief valve is not sticking, it's looking more and more like a pump issue.

My concern about the oil pressure switch was that a non-automotive one should be used. The HD switches work at a very low pressure and are able to sustain the 60#+ seen in a cold start.

xlfan

Have you done a pinion shaft run-out check?

wfolarry

Check your oil pump. If it's scored up you found your problem. Check the seal in there too.

biker7

Hi again,
Put new bushing with .0015 tolerance, mounted cone back, new pressure switch and gave it a go. Pressure up to 60, as it warmed up started dropping, about 20 some minutes later ( temp never goes over 150) it drops to zero, and idiot light starts to come on. Replaced pump, and 20 some minutes later, same thing. Took the pump that was originally on bike and installed it on another bike, let bike warm up and heat on for 1 hour with a fan, temp at 160 and pressure goes down to about 10-8 and when reved uo goes to 25-30. Afterwards took a 45 minute ride and pump works perfect on this other bike. Sooo I dunno what the hell is wrong! I am going to ck for shaft run out and see what I find. Knowing that pump is good, bushing is in specs what else, besides shaft runout, can I ck or do. BTW I am going to put the pressure switch from the test bike and gauge to test again after ck runout. Thanks for all the info.

Rusty1977

Old thread but did you figure out the problem with oil pressure?  I'm having same issues with a engine I just built. I never touched lower end and using delkron cases. I just went they top end , cam chest and oil pump but found nothing. 15 miles down the road and oil light comes on again at 2800rpm or lower. I'm stumped where to look next.

kd

The OP was last active on this site 11 days after he posted here. 15 months ago.  I wouldn't be expecting a response from him at least.
KD