March 28, 2024, 02:52:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Edelbrock Carb.

Started by fxrglide91, January 26, 2019, 05:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxrglide91

I started to tear into (new to me) 72 fx. Got the top end off and waiting on a gasket kit. Question: It has a Edelbrock carb that only has the number 38 on it. Sent two emails to the company to see if I can get a rebuild kit for it, no answer. Reading thru this forum, I have yet to see anyone talk about Edelbrock. The top end is stock. I haven't had the time to peak at the cam yet.  Any comments on the Edelbrock beside throw it in the trash. This bike sat for about 13 years, however it did kick over and start.

Ohio HD

They were called Quick Silver by Edelbrock. I have never used one, but IMHO I would find a decent later model HD CV carburetor and eBay that old one for what ever you can get.

76shuvlinoff

Can't help you with the Edelbrock but if you desire solid reliability Ohio is spot on.  A 40mm CV with a press-on adapter off ebay and never look back.

Either way, good luck!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

fxrglide91

The only number I can find on it was 38. Would you think that means 38MM?

Hossamania

Quote from: fxrglide91 on January 26, 2019, 06:40:47 PM
The only number I can find on it was 38. Would you think that means 38MM?

That was my first guess.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hillside Motorcycle

Those Edelbrock carbs were a real bear to tune correctly.
An S&S E complete kit, or configure a CV to fit.
Either will work outstanding, set up correctly.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

fxrglide91

Could you give me a link for the complete Super E set up. Thanks.

rigidthumper

California Phil is your friend :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

Hillside Motorcycle

January 28, 2019, 08:23:28 AM #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:34:23 AM by Hillside Motorcycle
Deleted.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

rigidthumper

:embarrassed:  Sorry, Scott. I think of you more as an engine builder & machinist than a parts seller.
Hey OP: http://hillsidecycle.com/
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

Most of the vendors that support this site are also parts suppliers. I missed the post but there's nothing wrong with Scott pointing that out.

Burnout

Do yourself and the world a favor and render the Quicksilver unusable before recycling it.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Burnout on January 28, 2019, 10:06:20 AM
Do yourself and the world a favor and render the Quicksilver unusable before recycling it.

:teeth: :teeth: "render it unusable"....haha!

Burnout

One has to dispose of it responsibly so it does not come back to wreck some other tramp's day. 

76shuvlinoff

I'm too dumb to make an E run as smoothly as I accidentally made my CV run.  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Wicked

Just a story from my own experience -   The theory and design had me hooked! Waited almost 2 years before R.P. finally brought them to market .....   Initial findings on the early ones - took 3 men and  a boy to pull the throttle! Required a weaker return spring. next was instant freeze-up on cold starts. Didn't matter length/material of isolating spacer. Even none at all. Didn't matter size/flow of air filter either. Crazy rich was the only get-around.  Both those issues were gone once Edelbrock got involved.....however, I did not try one of theirs.
On my stockish shovel and a customers hopped up loaner I could never get that carb to perform as an "all-around" item! The ease of adjustability and if you wanted an almost no turbulence causing carb - they were the answer though! Fair bit of testing on my shovel could not get a sweet carb. Performance - yes. Idle - yes. Mpg - yes. Easy to adjust if needed - yes. However - not all at once! Best I could get on slow turning heavy shovels was still too lean up high.
Tried it on lighter EVO XLs and FXRs and it was considerably better, but not enough to sway me towards them. Like others - I now choose an "E" or an HD cv.        'Cept for my shovels.....them'll always get an SU.....  :hyst: !

Burnout

There is a reason they are no longer produced.

:turd:

HogMike

Quote from: fxrglide91 on January 26, 2019, 05:49:27 PM
I started to tear into (new to me) 72 fx. Got the top end off and waiting on a gasket kit. Question: It has a Edelbrock carb that only has the number 38 on it. Sent two emails to the company to see if I can get a rebuild kit for it, no answer. Reading thru this forum, I have yet to see anyone talk about Edelbrock. The top end is stock. I haven't had the time to peak at the cam yet.  Any comments on the Edelbrock beside throw it in the trash. This bike sat for about 13 years, however it did kick over and start.

Tried that carb on my 78 fx years ago, never got it to run well. Ended up with an SU mainly for looks (sporty gas tank on that bike) but it ran well.
Tried Lake and other carb dujur in those years, nothing seemed to get dialed in for me.
Ended up with S&S E and never looked back. I now have S&S E on my 93" pan and a G on my 113 evo. Done!
No more shovels in my barn, may have to get one now to play with!
JMHO
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Mark222

Yeah, I had one of the 38MM Q/SII E-Brock carbs.  Not easy to tune, as stated above.  Once tuned correctly it did well, but in the end, I went with a Mik 42 and never looked back.

I think I gave away the Q/S II to a fellow in need.

Mark

Burnout

Quote from: Mark222 on January 31, 2019, 01:14:58 PM

I think I gave away the Q/S II to a fellow in need.

Mark

Shame on you! You didn't do him any favor unless he had a bigger steaming pile.   :banghead: