April 23, 2024, 08:40:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cv 44 carb

Started by joelp34252, August 19, 2019, 07:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelp34252

Piston diaphragm on the 44cv has a tear in it. Googled the part# and came up with nothing. Does anyone know if the diaphragm from a cv40 carb is the same? Also anyone know a source for 44 cv parts?

Joel 2001 FLHT

Hossamania

August 19, 2019, 08:08:07 AM #1 Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:20:35 AM by Hossamania
Yes, the piston diaphragm from a 40 will work, I did it last year, not really sure what the difference is, but it's working.
As far as parts, try to find an old tuning kit, either on eBay, or if lucky, maybe a dealer can locate one, but doubtful. Jets and needles from a 40 do not work in the 44.
Not sure if CV Performance has anything anymore. Woods Performance may.
I know when mine finally gives up the ghost, I'll probably have to go to a Mikuni 45.
Actually, I see that the 44 carbs are still be available new from the dealer, I will probably go that route again.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

joelp34252

Thanks Hoss. I will order a 40 diaphragm and hopefully that will keep me going for a few more years. I did notice a lot of wear 0n the bottom corners of the vacuum slide but this carb has a lot of miles on it. Maybe when it is used up the electric bikes will be cheap and plentiful and i'll go that route!!

Joel 2001 FLHT

Hossamania

Don't forget to put in a new accelerator diaphragm and spring too, and clean out all the passages. Possibly a new o-ring on the enrichener.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Evo160K

August 19, 2019, 09:29:45 PM #4 Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:34:56 PM by Evo160K
joelp34252,

If all else fails, try this RP 30 rubber adhesive,  http://instantca.com/industrial-adhesives/cyanoacrylate/rp-series/

It works great, I've used it for years and actually fabricated rubber parts with it, not to mention simple repairing of o-rings and such.  The repair will be the last area to fail.

djl

Did the same as Hoss with the CV40 diaphragm. It arrived all wrinkled and out of shape but a few minutes soaking in hot water and it reverted to original shape.

IIRC, CV40 jets will work in the CV44; a 190 main is a 190 main.  The problem is that the CV40 jets are sized 155 to 185 in half sizes, i.e., 155-160-165, etc. to 185 and then jump to 200.  However, the CV44 jets start at 190-195-200 and then increase in size from 200-250 in full size increments.  200 MJ is the largest CV Performance sells, so if the OP needs a MJ larger than 200, gotta look elsewhere. That is probably what Hoss meant; CV40 jets won't work in a CV44 becasue they are too small. Needles are not interchangeable.

I needed a 210 to 220 main to jet the CV44 on my all bore 107 and had to do some hunting to find one.  As Hoss points out, needles are not interchangeable.  I have a needle/jet chart for the CV44 with part numbers, needle profiles, etc. and ordered a list of parts from what was then Zanotti's and was able to get jets the jets and an N8EL needle but that was at least 6 years ago.

76shuvlinoff

QuoteActually, I see that the 44 carbs are still be available new from the dealer, I will probably go that route again.

I got one from Surdyke a few years ago for my shovel.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway