April 20, 2024, 08:42:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

47 Knuck value

Started by hbkeith, November 08, 2012, 03:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

Hey you Knuckleheads . I got a buddy who has a 47 thats been sittin for 30 years in nice storage.he has owned it since about 1970,he bought it as an original bike but like alot back then,stripped it down to build chopper. He has started it a few times threw the years. The drivetrain and frame (neck is not raked),oil tank, and rear wheel are only things still  original ,has old narrow glide frontend,sporty tank , flat fender etc., he is thinking about gettin rid of it , he knows he is never gona do anything with it now. I could have bought it from him 10 years ago for $5000  :cry:,What do you guys think would be a fair ballpark price for me and him both now? thanks

easyricer

If everything is on the up and up I would say $8500 would be a fair price for a working and running late Knuck that has been trimmed down. Of course the more original parts he has, the more it is worth.
I just went round and round a few weeks ago with an insurance adjuster over the value of my 1950 Pan, that has been modified with Shovel tops and aftermarket sheetmetal. I told him that a "Rule of thumb" would be $15000 starting price for the value of a complete working and running antique Harley. Subtract from that if parts are after market, chromed or missing, add to it if all original (meaning the parts that the bike had on it sitting in the dealership)
He about had a stroke to learn that a rusty all original, but running clunker was worth more than a restored show bike.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

tomcat64

a friend of mine sold a 47 knuck motor with good numbers last year for $7,200.00 that was the motor only!  original knucks that are complete are bringing HUGE $$, many are ending up in Japan and Europe... sort of sad!

ricochet

That's what I got for a 47 el motor with matching numbers and a bit of it had been masaged like ground down, sanded and customized over the years.

$7300 on ebay about a year ago. 

ricochet