March 29, 2024, 07:02:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl H.

Right! And dealing with liquid sealants on the production line is a mess. It also makes it difficult to exchange a worn spacer in the shop.
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

IronButt70

Quote from: HOGMIKE on July 30, 2019, 08:48:44 AM

Follow the money! It's a 25c hose
Exactly. If you can cut corners and save $100 per bike and you build 200k bikes that's $20 million to the bottom line.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

PoorUB

Quote from: Karl H. on July 30, 2019, 10:35:58 AM
Right! And dealing with liquid sealants on the production line is a mess. It also makes it difficult to exchange a worn spacer in the shop.

No sealant required. A chamfer on the inside of the spacer and a small cross section o-ring will seal the spacer to the shaft. No added parts other than a 25 cent o-ring.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FSG

Quote from: PoorUB on July 30, 2019, 07:27:30 AM
But having a slight vacuum in the engine crankcase is a good thing.

I still wonder why not fix the leak between the engine and primary? :idunno:

why not fix the right side hyd clutch slave area that is allowing the oil to build up  :scratch:

road-dawgs1

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 30, 2019, 05:27:24 AM
Did they
Quote from: road-dawgs1 on July 29, 2019, 06:06:32 PM
So I went to the dealer and bought a qt of gear lube to bring with me. While there I stopped into service and asked about not seeing any side cover gasket on the warranty parts list and asked if they indeed checked like the instructions advised to. After a round-about discussion regarding the existence of the oil deflector being a standard running change in the 19 model year that I won't get into here, they conceded and got me in and checked for the deflector.....low and behold it was still there. They removed it, buttoned it up and I was on my way. Im still bringing the gear lube (and 1 qt of engine oil) with me just in case. I'll be on my tomorrow morning with a little peace of mind.

Did they check/set fluid levels in both the trans and primary, too?

They did set the levels as appropriate. Did 400+ miles today on my first leg and all seems well. Didn't check the levels again, I'll do so after tomorrow's leg. The Muller Hydro Clutch is working very well too.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

cbumdumb

1500 miles trans at same level and this is stop and go,back and forth to work. Not saying it is fixed but so far so good. :sheep:

road-dawgs1

Checked the trans fluid tonight after 850 miles into the trip and all is well.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

HogMike

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on July 31, 2019, 06:11:46 PM

Nice when everything is working properly huh?
Now that I've got some miles with your same setup (hydro clutch and primary vent) my oil migration has stopped and the touchy clutch has been addressed.
It's actually a fun bike to ride as it should be!
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

jamminhd2000

What was done to your bike to solve migration problem? Just venting primary? Thanks....jimmy

Jaycee1964

This will end up being a full blown recall sooner or later.  Someone will run their trans dry, lock it up due to lack of lube and wipe out.  NTSB will chime in and "In the interest of rider safety the MOCO will do the mods free of charge!"..... :emsad:
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

IronButt70

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on August 01, 2019, 04:49:19 AM
This will end up being a full blown recall sooner or later.  Someone will run their trans dry, lock it up due to lack of lube and wipe out.  NTSB will chime in and "In the interest of rider safety the MOCO will do the mods free of charge!"..... :emsad:
I heard of a trike rider who already grenaded his tranny. Just had the bike "serviced" at his local dealer before heading out on a cross country trip. Luckily he didn't wipe out. Just ended up stuck out in the middle of BFE.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on July 31, 2019, 09:46:09 PM
What was done to your bike to solve migration problem? Just venting primary? Thanks....jimmy

Well first they installed the vent, but it was still migrating a little and I found that the dealer didn't follow the instructions on the kit to remove the oil deflector on the mainshaft. Once they removed it, it has been fine. I also run the Muller Hydro Clutch, not sure if that helps or not. Does make it much nicer to ride though.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

road-dawgs1

Quote from: HOGMIKE on July 31, 2019, 07:13:53 PM

Nice when everything is working properly huh?
Now that I've got some miles with your same setup (hydro clutch and primary vent) my oil migration has stopped and the touchy clutch has been addressed.
It's actually a fun bike to ride as it should be!
:missed:

Yes, a lot better to ride. We are now in St. Charles, MO and have logged about 1200 miles and it has been great.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

rbabos

The vent is still a bandaid to two other possible flaws in the same area that can cause the same condition. Vent is the easiest work around for now to mask it. I'm not going to comment on it, however. The MoCo can fix their own "Potty mouth" without using other peoples ideas for solutions.
Ron

DTTJGlide

Sadly the engineers don't have the final say on things, I feel they know what the problems are, but management & the bean counters ask for a range of possible fixes & the  choice comes down to cost. They tried the plastic plug first because it was the least costly, they may have been told it wasn't a sure fix, but they'll try the cheapest first anyway.

FSG

QuoteThe vent is still a bandaid ................................ 

:agree:

PoorUB

And mean while more motorcycles are hitting the roads with no "real" repair or update, just the band aid.

It makes me wonder if the bean counters would have let the engineers do there job three years ago that the real problem would be cured and at less cost when you count the time and energy wasted.

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on August 04, 2019, 10:49:54 AM
And mean while more motorcycles are hitting the roads with no "real" repair or update, just the band aid.

It makes me wonder if the bean counters would have let the engineers do there job three years ago that the real problem would be cured and at less cost when you count the time and energy wasted.
Don't forget improved M8 reputation as well. Last I checked they are in business to sell bikes and all of this crap isn't helping that. Speaking of engineers, wonder who designed this cluster fk for battery R&R?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46lis2gGho
Ron

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on August 04, 2019, 04:34:52 PM
Don't forget improved M8 reputation as well. Last I checked they are in business to sell bikes and all of this crap isn't helping that. Speaking of engineers, wonder who designed this cluster fk for battery R&R?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v46lis2gGho
Ron

Damn near as bad as a BMW! :hyst:

I wonder where that negative terminal screw went? Down into the oil tank? :banghead:

FSG

Quote from: PoorUB on August 04, 2019, 05:11:04 PM

I wonder where that negative terminal screw went? Down into the oil tank? :banghead:

yeppers

if'n the dip stick needs to be removed the oil tank needs a condom or a flush fitting plug

not covering it is just asking for trouble 

Rockout Rocker Products

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly  :hyst:

I'm guessing those clips don't jump back on there as easily as they come off.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

SixShooter14

FWIW, I just saw a video from Sturgis that showed a 2019 Street Glide 114 that had the primary vent tube pre-installed.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

road-dawgs1

Quote from: SixShooter14 on August 08, 2019, 05:28:49 PM
FWIW, I just saw a video from Sturgis that showed a 2019 Street Glide 114 that had the primary vent tube pre-installed.

I've read that 5/19 and after build dates came with the vent.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

IronButt70

Quote from: road-dawgs1 on August 08, 2019, 05:53:59 PM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on August 08, 2019, 05:28:49 PM

I've read that 5/19 and after build dates came with the vent.
Was roaming around the local dealer this AM looking to see if any on the floor had the vent. Nope. Salesman saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told him primary vents. He said OK and walked away. Think he knew what I was talking about?  :scratch: