March 28, 2024, 08:10:26 AM

News:

Dunlop tires

Started by tomcat64, May 29, 2019, 12:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat64

So the wife and I finally got our on the road last Sunday for a few hundred miles and during the ride I noticed that my rear tire is getting close to replacement time. I just looked and I have just a shade over 13,000 miles on this tire. mostly 2 up riding, pulling a trailer around 5,000 miles of the total, and with my stage 5 tire shredder, I'm not light on the throttle. I'm pretty damn impressed, that is the most miles I've ever gotten and the  only thing I've done differently is keeping up on tire pressure..

bobrk1

Yeah  been  using  them  since  97 when  I  bought  a  road  king  new,never  had  a  issue  in rain  mileage  is good . A friend  ran a set  of michelen  said  that  in the  rain  kept  breaking  loose 

Moparnut72

Which Dunlop was it?
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

fbn ent

Quote from: bobrk1 on May 29, 2019, 04:36:00 PM
Yeah  been  using  them  since  97 when  I  bought  a  road  king  new,never  had  a  issue  in rain  mileage  is good . A friend  ran a set  of michelen  said  that  in the  rain  kept  breaking  loose

I've broken loose running 402s... :turd: :doh:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

92flhtcu

Tomcat-was it the OEM 407T or an American Elite? assuming a touring chassis bike.....
Need a bigger garage

crock

Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 29, 2019, 06:31:50 PM
Tomcat-was it the OEM 407T or an American Elite? assuming a touring chassis bike.....

Getting ready to pull the trigger myself so ???????????
Crock

SixShooter14

FWIW, I'm having a set of American Elites being put on right now. I'll try to remember to keep y'all posted on them.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

tomcat64

Quote from: crock on May 30, 2019, 04:47:10 AM
Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 29, 2019, 06:31:50 PM

Getting ready to pull the trigger myself so ???????????

44006-09 OEM tire..

tbird

I only got 10,000 miles out of a American elite. Same bike previous tire E3 got 12,000.   The front American elite the cords broke. I am anal about tire pressure. I wouldn't put American elites on my lawn mower.

PoorUB

Quote from: tbird on May 30, 2019, 08:54:07 AM
I only got 10,000 miles out of a American elite. Same bike previous tire E3 got 12,000.   The front American elite the cords broke. I am anal about tire pressure. I wouldn't put American elites on my lawn mower.

Strange!  My buddy and I have run through several  sets of American  Elites with no issues.  They are my go to tire for a bagger.

What model of motorcycle were you running them on?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Moparnut72

Thanks, I got 9,300 out of my OEM 402. It would have made 10,000 but I was getting ready for the riding season so I went ahead and replaced it. The front will probably make it to the next rear change unless the AE goes a lot further. My Indy says it will last longer. We will see.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

jsachs1

I use American Elites on both of my big bikes. No problems dry or wet or over 120 mph. :up:
John

92flhtcu

Tomcat-Thanks, going to try the Am-Elite? Same recipe as the 407T, just different tread pattern

TBird-what bike? My older Mu and MT rears do not get the mileage as the 180 rears(bagger speaking), however, it is much better than the 402's, and stickier
Need a bigger garage

Teardrop

I have been buying the stock OEM tires for my 2010 Ultra Classic.
2010 Ultra Classic

Langwilliams

V rod guys hate Dunlop tires, touring guys tend to like them...show's the different riding styles of the bikes. I bet tires are like oil, everyone has their favorite brand. I had 404's on my Fatboy an they seemed to skid too easily on a light bike. I have Michelin's on my SG an they seem great so far.

tbird

07 ultra  I believe the mu or 140

92flhtcu

TBird-yep, those sizes do not get the mileage like the 180, I'd say 10k is my normal rear mileage on the American elite, to me for the few extra bucks over the 402's and the better traction wet and dry is well worth it
So back to Tomcat-what is going on it this time?
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

My indie has told me that the Elites are a little cheaper the oem tires.
I got almost 20,000 miles out of an oem front and Elite rear, but they were not happy together toward the end, too much head shake, waited too long to change them. New Elites front and rear now, they handle great, I expect to get at least 15,000 out of them. This on a '12 Ultra.
On my old RoadKing, I get about 12,000 out of rear Elite, at least 4000 more than the stock Dunlop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

tomcat64

Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 31, 2019, 04:38:02 AM
TBird-yep, those sizes do not get the mileage like the 180, I'd say 10k is my normal rear mileage on the American elite, to me for the few extra bucks over the 402's and the better traction wet and dry is well worth it
So back to Tomcat-what is going on it this time?

I ain't messing with anything, putting the same back on..

Pete_Vit

Quote from: fbn ent on May 29, 2019, 05:13:08 PM
Quote from: bobrk1 on May 29, 2019, 04:36:00 PM

I've broken loose running 402s... :turd: :doh:
me too, wet roads felt like ice, Michilins CII's and so far the Avon Cobra's for me are great on the interslab and twisties on my Softtail
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

fbn ent

I've wondered about the Elites but I have been running Avons forever and it's hard to switch to try them.. 

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on May 31, 2019, 02:16:59 PM
I've wondered about the Elites but I have been running Avons forever and it's hard to switch to try them..

I go the other way, I've heard a lot about Avons, but it's hard to switch away from Elites.

tbird

1workinman

Quote from: jsachs1 on May 30, 2019, 03:31:28 PM
I use American Elites on both of my big bikes. No problems dry or wet or over 120 mph. :up:
John
Sir that getting it done lol .I been using the Michelin Commander II on both of my money pits  > Do you think I be better off with the American Elites . I don't take my bikes to the track , just ride with a few friends that again 

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on May 31, 2019, 04:49:12 PM

I go the other way, I've heard a lot about Avons, but it's hard to switch away from Elites.

Yeah me too! Can't get away from my elites on all my bikes
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

rking1550

Quote from: HOGMIKE on June 01, 2019, 01:38:56 PM

I've ran the elites,  tried the American elite. Just tried the Avon Cobra, first time on avon's, so far I'm loving them. They stick well and I feel well connected to the road.
Elites were good
American Elites, didnt care for those.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

Hossamania

Quote from: rking1550 on June 01, 2019, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: HOGMIKE on June 01, 2019, 01:38:56 PM

I've ran the elites,  tried the American elite. Just tried the Avon Cobra, first time on avon's, so far I'm loving them. They stick well and I feel well connected to the road.
Elites were good
American Elites, didnt care for those.

I should have specified I'm using American Elites.

fleetmechanic

We use AEs as the replacement tire on all of our '09-later bikes.  They seem to last as well as the D407s and are much cheaper since they are not an HD dealer only item.  We still put 402s on the '08-earler wheels as they seem to last a little longer than the AEs in that size.

fbn ent

The MoCo got smart with the 407s and told Dunlop they had to be only available through the Dealer. Dunlop got smarter by changing the tread and putting out the American Elite.

92flhtcu

and then Harley bitched and got the same recipe, but not tread pattern as the AmElite, hence the 407T
Need a bigger garage

fbn ent

Which came first, the AE or the 407? I don't quite get what you are saying. I'm probably just a bit thick....

PoorUB

Pretty sure the HD 407 showed up first. It was maybe a year later the American Elites showed up as a replacement tire for the '09+ baggers.

fbn ent

That's what I thought  :scratch:

fleetmechanic

The 407s were the first Dunlop OEM tire that didn't seem to make it into the aftermarket after a couple of years like the 402s and other earlier versions always did.  Our guess is that the AE came out as a way to deal with this, slightly different tread and widely available.
Seems odd that they need to compete with each other.

SixShooter14

Quote from: fleetmechanic on June 02, 2019, 08:16:39 PM
The 407s were the first Dunlop OEM tire that didn't seem to make it into the aftermarket after a couple of years like the 402s and other earlier versions always did.  Our guess is that the AE came out as a way to deal with this, slightly different tread and widely available.
Seems odd that they need to compete with each other.
I'd bet Dunlop doesn't make as much profit from the HD-only 407 as it does the general market AE. So naturally they'd want to hit the market from both sides, dealer-only and general public.

It's weird when you think about it, but does make sense financially.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

dynarat

my favorite tyre so far are avon cobra for grip not sure on mileage yet but would rather have traction over long lasting

ScottFree

I'm on my third AE rear, first AE front on my '04 Road King. First two rears went over 12K miles (were changed  because of upcoming long trips and probably had at least another 1-2K left in them).

In comparison, I'd get about 9-10K from the stock 402, but it would start squaring off around 5K. The AE never squares off like the 402 did. As it wears, its profile flattens out, but it always remains a smooth curve. I guess this is the result of the dual compound.

Just got back from a 2400 mile trip to North Carolina and Georgia. Rain, often heavy, almost every day (arrived at the motel one evening and found two feet of water in the parking lot and the outdoor pool completely submerged). Never had any problems with the AEs feeling secure on the wet stuff. Did you know you can pretty much have the Dragon to yourself when it's raining?

Norton Commando

Quote from: ScottFree on June 15, 2019, 05:43:28 AM

Never had any problems with the AEs feeling secure on the wet stuff. Did you know you can pretty much have the Dragon to yourself when it's raining?

Ha, I bet so, however, I wouldn't want to find out for myself!

Jason 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Alexintenn

yes you can LOL  I did it once with a KLR with knobies.  Be willing to bet it was the slowest run ever  done :-)

Alexintenn

I just had a set of American Elites mounted on a 2006 Road Glide.  Had an old worn set of Commander 2s that I didn't trust at all that came on the bike.

Tire pressure, manual says 36 / 40?  Does that sound OK for the American Elites?

scott7d

It's interesting how experiences and views can vary so much. The opinions on American Elites for example. I ride on the walls of those tires and scrape parts to the point where they literally fall off. Never felt like I was going to wash out with Elites, and mileage has been extremely reasonable. And another person said they wouldn't put them on a lawn mower. The internet is both a blessing and a curse.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

jmorton10

Quote from: dynarat on June 15, 2019, 01:02:36 AM
my favorite tyre so far are avon cobra for grip not sure on mileage yet but would rather have traction over long lasting

Same here, Avon Cobras are my favorite too.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

Quote from: Alexintenn on June 15, 2019, 07:26:23 PM
I just had a set of American Elites mounted on a 2006 Road Glide.  Had an old worn set of Commander 2s that I didn't trust at all that came on the bike.

Tire pressure, manual says 36 / 40?  Does that sound OK for the American Elites?

Those pressures will work fine. I know some say to run them higher, and I have, but now I'm back to 38 lbs each on both my '01 RK and '12 Ultra, and it's a better ride, and better handling. If I lose a thousand miles of wear, I'm ok with it, the last set lasted 20k on the Ultra, well over 12k on the RK.

PoorUB

Quote from: scott7d on June 15, 2019, 07:42:22 PM
It's interesting how experiences and views can vary so much. The opinions on American Elites for example. I ride on the walls of those tires and scrape parts to the point where they literally fall off. Never felt like I was going to wash out with Elites, and mileage has been extremely reasonable. And another person said they wouldn't put them on a lawn mower. The internet is both a blessing and a curse.

Same here, best tire out there IMO. I drag hard parts in corners from time to time and never any complaint on the AE's giving up on me.

fbn ent

Quote from: Hossamania on June 16, 2019, 10:24:20 AM
Quote from: Alexintenn on June 15, 2019, 07:26:23 PM

Those pressures will work fine. I know some say to run them higher, and I have, but now I'm back to 38 lbs each on both my '01 RK and '12 Ultra, and it's a better ride, and better handling. If I lose a thousand miles of wear, I'm ok with it, the last set lasted 20k on the Ultra, well over 12k on the RK.

36/40 is Dunlop's pressure, but if heavy, you may want to jack them up......Rear 1019# at 42/ Front 639@41