April 26, 2024, 01:45:39 PM

News:

Road Glide Non-Vented Lower Fairing

Started by Cowtowner, June 04, 2019, 06:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowtowner

Hi, what hardware do I need to mount a set of non-vented lower fairings to a touring crash bar?

I have an '09 Road Glide and want to run an older style non-vented lower, but all the mounting hardware I can find seems to be for newer vented style. Is it just a couple of p-clamps or more involved than that? Don't care about quick detach.

Thanks for any advice.

kd

I don't know about the 09 up but the early non vented swap over with the slide vented that followed in the early 2000 bikes.  There appeared to be some differences in the engine guard mounts for some Road Glides.  I think if you search the part numbers on the engine guard you may have the answer
KD

Leed

Harley has a quick disconnect kit for the lower fairings.  That might have all of the things you need.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/detach-fairing-lower-hardware-kit#tabs

Cowtowner

Thank you both, definitely gives me some leads to check out. Once I have the fairings in my hands I think it will all make more sense too.

PoorUB

My memory is a bit foggy, but seems to me some years the standard  lower will not fit the RG. The bottom of the fairing is  in the way. Maybe someone else will know  which  years.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

phillyfan

I have a '09 also. I previously researched this extensively. What I found out is that on '09 RG vented lowers will not as the bike sits from the factory. You can change out the 3 fairing support brackets and then the vented lowers will fit.
As for the non-vented lowers, I never really looked into them, but I have seen some mounted.

This really sucks for me. I have had my fairing off over a dozen times for audio stuff and when I mounted the DSP I swore it wasn't coming off again. Unfortunately, for me to have vented lowers I have to change the brackets
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

Glide1962

The old non-vented RG lowers do use different fairing to crash bar mounts.  On older models the upper fairing sits at a different angle that newer ones.  If you get the old mounts your headlight will light up the trees until you adjust it.  :-)

They also came with a different clamp half for the faring mounts that has a flat surface on the rear face with a hole tapped in it.  The top of the lower bolts to the upper mount and the bottom has a P-clamp that attaches to the crash bar.

Skin

I do know that the lowers for my '05 RG will not fit my '11 RG and here are the top mount pieces for the '05.

Cowtowner

My non-vented lowers came yesterday (Fairing Factory), with four clam shells and two p clamps. Couldn't figure out the clam shells until I just saw the picture posted by Skin. All makes sense now, thanks!

The screws to hold the cap to the fairing itself are the wrong size so now just need to figure out the size on those, don't even know if they are sae or metric.

Not bothering with the glove boxes.

DanThe Man

Yo7 should be able t9 hit your local Lowes, auto zone or the like for black screws that will fit.   Good luck.
I thought I was wrong once but i was mistaken.