April 23, 2024, 05:31:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2104 Road King Compensator Replace with SE?

Started by theroadglide, June 05, 2019, 03:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadglide

I am fairly certain that the compensator on my 2014 RK is going out. It knocks when it starts and knocks when I shut it down. It goes in later this week to confirm whether or not I'm right. I am 20 days away from no more extended warranty so this would be a good time to find out it's bad. On a stock 103 should I go with the OEM original parts or pay a bit more and have the dealer install a SE compensator? I'm lucky to have a dealer that is both competent and honest and typically does what I ask.

A benefit to finally taking the time to trailer it to the shop (it's way too far to walk home if I ride in) is that he can finally dyno tune it. The original Power Vision tune from Fuel moto with some Auto tunes is still running things and not real well. I look forward to getting more than 160-170 miles on the bigger part of a 6 gallon tank.

Thanks for your suggestions, Stephen.

Ohio HD

Get the newest style that uses the Torx fastener and the plastic glue on oil scoop trays.

les

H-D started putting the SE comp in the bikes starting 2011.  So, your bike has and SE comp.  But perhaps it's wearing out and you need a refresh.

Ohio HD

He doesn't have the latest SE or OEM unit. 2016 is when they oil drip to the Torx bolt started for internal oiling of the compensator.

Remember?

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=109064.msg1299908#msg1299908

theroadglide

Thank you for the replies. I'll see what the dealer says and have them install the newest style.

Stephen

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 05, 2019, 04:33:20 PM
He doesn't have the latest SE or OEM unit. 2016 is when they oil drip to the Torx bolt started for internal oiling of the compensator.

Remember?

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=109064.msg1299908#msg1299908
2014 models came with the oiled comp as a production item and retrofit. The SE was dropped from the name, although it is basically from the SE design with enhanced oiling capability. I remember it well for some reason. :cry: Might have even invented a few new four letter words that day.
Ron

C#

Mine got so bad on a long trip that I had to have a dealer do the work. I went to a small dealer in Muncie, In. They told me that they re-do them on a regular basis ('14 RK). When I was somewhere that I could look around for better info I fell like I should have bought a Baker replacement instead of anything that HD is using. For a while the bike was definitely different and smoother. Now it's back to the way it was before I had the original replaced (35k mi.). Only difference is that it isn't making as much noise... yet. If this one goes I will do the work and use a Baker.

kd

Check the stack height.  It may be a shim can bring it back.  Spoke wear is usually minimal but many units had marginal stack height when new. A little while later when it's broken in it starts to rattle.  Search 14+ compensator on here for the info you need.
KD

jmorton10

Quote from: C# on June 06, 2019, 08:26:12 AM
yet. If this one goes I will do the work and use a Baker.

I would keep researching that, the Baker has a worse record than the SE units.

A buddy of mine installed one the day before he left for Sturgis & it gave up with less than 1000 miles on it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

twincam8888

Quote from: kd on June 06, 2019, 08:38:06 AM
Check the stack height.  It may be a shim can bring it back.  Spoke wear is usually minimal but many units had marginal stack height when new. A little while later when it's broken in it starts to rattle.  Search 14+ compensator on here for the info you need.

:agree:
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

PoorUB

At one time I put the lastest version of the SE in my 2010 Ultra and it was great for a year or so then srarted knocking.  I measured the stack height of the springs and and added a couple shims. It was quiet again, at least until I sold it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

BVHOG

What's wrong with you guys, not even one of you here mentioned anything about the futuristic new 2104 model, probably take that long till they find a real fix
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

cheech

Quote from: BVHOG on June 09, 2019, 06:08:12 PM
What's wrong with you guys, not even one of you here mentioned anything about the futuristic new 2104 model, probably take that long till they find a real fix
That's why Harley is  all hell bent on electric bikes. No power pulses like a reciprocating engine.  Smooth linear power out of the motor, so they're just going to halfazz the comps until then. A work around so to speak.  LOL  :potstir: