Using your phone as a Bluetooth music source with no radio

Started by Garry in AZ, June 06, 2019, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry in AZ

So on the new FL Standard, there is no radio or speakers, but it's easy to add an amp and speakers to the bike.

For those who don't want to spend the money for a radio, there are several ways to get Bluetooth music to an amplifier.
Some of the Bluetooth interfaces include controls for track and volume, and others require you to use your phone for those controls.
I'm curious as to how many folks would prefer to use their phone to control volume and song selection, versus how many would prefer to have a button on the Bluetooth interface and keep your phone in your pocket or where ever?

So, would you,  "A" use the phone, or "B", have the controls included in the Bluetooth device and mount it somewhere accessible?

We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

jmorton10

Not really the answer to your questions, but I have reverted from having a Roadking (Dragonfly fairing & Harley lowers with speakers) with killer loud 4 AMP stereo (I was in the stereo business for years & still have wholesale connections for Fosgate etc.) to using Bluetooth from my Galaxy phone to a Sena setup in my Shuberth helmet.

I can hear Sirius/MP3/Spotify clearly at 80MPH at a fraction of the hearing damaging volume the old setup required LOL. Not only can I hear it, but it actually sounds good as opposed to a stereo that is trying to overpower wind & loud exhaust noise.

The Sena setup has a full function wireless remote that mounts on the handlebars but it is not necessary for full operation of the setup.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

IronButt70

Quote from: jmorton10 on June 06, 2019, 11:53:02 AM
Not really the answer to your questions, but I have reverted from having a Roadking (Dragonfly fairing & Harley lowers with speakers) with killer loud 4 AMP stereo (I was in the stereo business for years & still have wholesale connections for Fosgate etc.) to using Bluetooth from my Galaxy phone to a Sena setup in my Shuberth helmet.

I can hear Sirius/MP3/Spotify clearly at 80MPH at a fraction of the hearing damaging volume the old setup required LOL. Not only can I hear it, but it actually sounds good as opposed to a stereo that is trying to overpower wind & loud exhaust noise.

The Sena setup has a full function wireless remote that mounts on the handlebars but it is not necessary for full operation of the setup.

~John
:agree:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

dynabagger

I too have one of the Sena blue tooth sets. It's great. I don't think I'd want a factory system blaring so everyone can hear my music.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Hossamania

Quote from: dynabagger on June 07, 2019, 09:16:18 AM
I too have one of the Sena blue tooth sets. It's great. I don't think I'd want a factory system blaring so everyone can hear my music.

I wish everybody had your attitude, especially in a group ride with the idiot next to me blasting his tunes, or worse, a commercial on the radio.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Barrett

I have the Sena w/Sirius. I like it and having my phone available is a plus. I Don't call anybody while I'm riding but I do need to be available.

biggzed

I would rather have volume and track control on the BT interface controller. I would rather have my phone in my pocket, or in a glove box staying charged. Plus, the gloves I ride with aren't compatible with a screen phone, so I wouldn't be able to control much from the phone anyway.

Zach

Quote from: Garry in AZ on June 06, 2019, 11:32:44 AM

So on the new FL Standard, there is no radio or speakers, but it's easy to add an amp and speakers to the bike.

For those who don't want to spend the money for a radio, there are several ways to get Bluetooth music to an amplifier.
Some of the Bluetooth interfaces include controls for track and volume, and others require you to use your phone for those controls.
I'm curious as to how many folks would prefer to use their phone to control volume and song selection, versus how many would prefer to have a button on the Bluetooth interface and keep your phone in your pocket or where ever?

So, would you,  "A" use the phone, or "B", have the controls included in the Bluetooth device and mount it somewhere accessible?

jmorton10

My phone never leaves my pocket, but I can control all the functions of the bluetooth without ever touching the phone.  I would never call anybody either but I do need to be available.

I had just left on the bike last Saturday when my wife called & said "the fire alarm is going off at your mothers house".  Now, my Mom is 93 years old, lives alone in the house I grew up in & is amazing (all her friends died years ago).

I sped over there & when they got there I could barely get down her street.  There where two firetrucks, about 20 firemen & a Sheriff pulled in behind me & half the neighborhood was out in the street (it was a sunny eighty degree day).  It all turned out to be a spider web in a smoke detector, my mom wasn't even home & me showing up prevented the firemen from breaking it (they where just about to). I was thanking the head fire dude for showing up & he said "no problem, we weren't doing anything today anyway LOL"

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS