April 23, 2024, 12:12:15 AM

News:

Charging system question.

Started by Paniolo, June 06, 2019, 07:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

One of my favorite little anechdotal stories.... Was on a road trip to Albuquerque, and somewhere in Arizona, Holbrook I think, met a group of three dudes that had ridden down from Alaska. One guy had lost his stator somewhere on the way, so they just kept going. They would stop every 100 miles-ish and get a flash charge at a gas station. He had straped a small DVM to his dash and used for a "fuel gauge", when the volts dropped a bit they'd fill'er up. Didn't plan to fix the stator until they got back home! If you think about it, the coil only draws 2 amps if that, and how many amp/hours is a Harley battery?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

fbn ent

I'm pretty sure these new fangled injected units draw more but I could be wrong....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Paniolo

Quote from: Phu Cat on June 08, 2019, 08:41:30 AMIf it turns out your stator IS bad, if you can afford it, have a Cycle Lectrics stator put in.  Yep, you'll pay more but it'll be the last new stator you'll ever need. 

Is this the one you're talking about?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

nibroc

that's the one and get a cycle electric voltage regulator too!!!!!!!!!!

Y2KRKNG

Be ready for a $1500 estimate for something that would take even a dummy shade-tree mechanic like myself about an hour to do.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

fbn ent

Yep....gather the tools and have at it....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

tdrglide

I've replaced a few stators over the years. Took me a bit more than an hour though. But my rates a are really low cause I work really slow. :wink:

I rode my 03 RG home once with a burned out stator. Less than 12v on gauge after I jump started it. By the time I got home volt gauge on dash showed a little less than 10v, it was still running. Fuel injected too. That was probably the limit tho. Replaced the battery too. It was maybe 5 years old.

Paniolo

Quote from: fbn ent on June 11, 2019, 09:28:23 AM
Yep....gather the tools and have at it....

I'll plan for that next time, although hopefully with a Cycle Electric stator, there won't be a next time.

But I'm gonna let a shop do it as I am having other work done too. I'm going to have the brass transmission shifter shaft bushing replaced. It's the one that's pressed into the transmission case that the shifter shaft pass through. All that requires the primary to be pulled so, there's the labor for the stator.

Life can only be lived in the present moment.