April 19, 2024, 07:58:43 AM

News:

2007 Rear Pulley Interchangeable?

Started by fbn ent, June 09, 2019, 06:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

So...2007 Softail, 66 tooth...2007 bagger 66 tooth. Different part numbers though. I have a new bagger one and a guy (50 miles away) wants one for his Heritage.....Anybody??
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Scotty

Without checking but 99% certain the 2007 Softails had a 20mm belt and the Touring line had a 1" belt so they would not be interchangable

fbn ent

Ronnies says 1" on both. Different lengths of course. I wondering if the center is different on the two wheels. Or bolt holes...or offset :nix:.
He may have to bring his here to check them...

DTTJGlide

The bolt pattern should be the same, I'm guessing the offset might be different, should be able to measure it, if his is less there are spacers available.

Scotty

June 09, 2019, 08:30:01 PM #4 Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:40:35 PM by Scotty
Quote from: fbn ent on June 09, 2019, 07:22:41 PM
Ronnies says 1" on both. Different lengths of course. I wondering if the center is different on the two wheels. Or bolt holes...or offset :nix:.
He may have to bring his here to check them...

You said Softail.............now which one?? Heritage has 1" belt but the Fatboy doesn't it has a 20mm as does the Night train but the Deluxe has a 1"
So yes Ronnies says 1" for some and 20mm for some
You need to be more specific about which model not just the group they are in.
Now I see you said Heritage at the end and then yes that is 1"  :oops:
I wonder if it is just the cutout shape in the pulley that makes it a different part number as some have holes and some have a triangular type shape.
[attach=0,msg1301719]  [attach=1,msg1301719]

fbn ent

Scotty, that's why I put Heritage in the OP.

We're going to do some measuring so we all know...

FSG

usually it's just the offset that is different

put a Dyna Pully alongside a Touring Pulley, they'll look the same and have the same Casting Number on them, BUT the Offset will be different

klammer76

Quote from: FSG on June 10, 2019, 01:12:07 PM
usually it's just the offset that is different

put a Dyna Pully alongside a Touring Pulley, they'll look the same and have the same Casting Number on them, BUT the Offset will be different
Thanks for that info Gary. I was wondering about the Dyna pulley a few years back when I was looking for a 1 1/8" pulley.

FSG

and that's the problem buying used/2nd online from the likes of eBay where they list
an item off a XX year model and quote a Part Number which is actually the Casting Number

fbn ent

Well, turns out he was looking for an aftermarket pulley on an aftermarket wheel. Um...nope, no matchy.  :crook: The center was way smaller...

dynarat

i replaced a 2013 dyna 66 tooth with a 70 tooth of a 2005 softail bolt pattern was the same of set was different had to use a spacer 3/8 from memory it was also wider than dyna pulley .earlier softail must of run wider belt .but runs fine

SOCS

I put an older FLH 70T on my 2013 Slim, spaced it accordingly and it did fine.

fbn ent

He came to visit today and after measuring everything out the Touring one will fit with a little machining.

I don't know who's wheel it is but it has an insert/spacer that makes turning a bit from the center of the OEM one. He's happy...

Phu Cat

A buddy of mine from about 20 years ago had a problem with his chrome rear drive sprocket coming loose.  He could hear a noise whenever he throttled up but couldn't locate the problem. ( He wasn't real mechanical.)  Eventually while out with his wife one day he noticed two of the bolts were missing from the rear sprocket.  The rear wheel was so torn up it also had to be replaced.  Fairly expensive.  So whatever else you do when you install that different rear sprocket, make sure the  holes in the wheel are cleaned out well and use whatever locking goop the FM calls for, and are torqued to speck.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

fbn ent

Yes, I lost one on the Shovel years back. Swapped wheels front to back and properly installed the pulley. Had to use a couple screws to hold the small hub cap in place but has given me good service since.

FSG

the worst thing you can do to a rear pulley is fit one of those stupid chrome covers

OR

use those stupid chrome hex socket head bolts to hold the nice chrome pulley pulley on