April 20, 2024, 06:41:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Battery Tender Connection Melted

Started by Bakon, June 10, 2019, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakon

2014 Limited with the battery tender connector from factory. Seems to go into main wiring harness. Anyone know where the other end is to replace?

I only eyeballed it near the fuse block but appears to go into a grommet and the wiring harness itself.

Buddy rerouted it out bottom of side cover (unknown why he did) but it layed on the left side pipe perfect to melt.
wasting time

motorhogman

If it was me and I know it's not I'd just get a new BT pigtail and hook it to the battery. Just tape up the old melted  wire and stuff it away safely.. Oh wait.. On that late of a bike maybe the computer will notice and start flashing codes ?  I don't know..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Rusticwater

June 10, 2019, 11:35:00 AM #2 Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:39:20 AM by Rusticwater
Quote from: BAKON on June 10, 2019, 10:14:28 AM
2014 Limited with the battery tender connector from factory. Seems to go into main wiring harness. Anyone know where the other end is to replace?

I only eyeballed it near the fuse block but appears to go into a grommet and the wiring harness itself.

Buddy rerouted it out bottom of side cover (unknown why he did) but it layed on the left side pipe perfect to melt.
Correct. The hot side is spliced into the 20A fused P&A circuit wire (R/BE).

Quote from: motorhogman on June 10, 2019, 10:26:57 AM
If it was me and I know it's not I'd just get a new BT pigtail and hook it to the battery. Just tape up the old melted  wire and stuff it away safely.. Oh wait.. On that late of a bike maybe the computer will notice and start flashing codes ?  I don't know..
This^^^^.

The other thing to consider, depending on how much good wire is available to work with before the melted portion, is cutting off the melted portion and splicing in a new BT connector harness.
Support the Maine lobster industry

FSG

Jim Bronson

Tape it up and use this. It has an inline fuse. Or just make one up for about half price.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Coyote

Ohio HD

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Coyote on June 10, 2019, 03:54:17 PM
Harley Cable
Well I forgot the link again. It must be a sign of something. Thanks Coyote.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Bakon

thanks everyone...was going to just splice in but this is quicker fix...thanks, save me soldering it together to old wires...
wasting time