April 19, 2024, 06:33:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

speakers

Started by mikeb, June 10, 2019, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb

blew a speaker in my 2007 fltr. would it be a 5.25 round ????? whats with those 5x7 ovals? how do they fit ? anyone using them?

biggzed

Yes, 5.25" round is the stock size. A 5x7 may fit with the correct adapter. I believe some CVO years cake with a 5x7 in the fairing. Not sure what years.

If you're looking to upgrade the most popular way is to get a 6.5" adapter and choose a 6.5" round speaker. There are tons of options.

Zach

mikeb

does it matter what the watts are if im not using an after market amp? maybee 40 to 60 watts? does it matter whether the speakers are 2 or 4 or 8 ohms? what are you running on your bike??

Hossamania

Yes, ohms matter more than the wattage rating of the speakers. The ohms must match the radio or amp. The wattage of the speakers should be greater than the output of the radio or amp.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Leed

The stock speakers should be 2ohms and that's what you want to use as a replacement unless you're upgrading the radio and/or adding an amp.

biggzed

June 12, 2019, 09:13:28 AM #5 Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:19:28 AM by biggzed
Like others indicated, if you're sticking with the stock head unit and no amp you need to match the ohm rating of stock.

I've been down the stereo rabbit hole for too long. My current set-up is 3 amps, a DSP and 8 speakers. It's stupid really.

If you don't want to add an amp and were basically happy with the stock system, here is what I would recommend. http://hogtunes.com/speaker13/speaker13/352FAA.html

Ask about an HTT forum discount, I think they offer one. They are an upgrade over stock, plug and play and customer service is excellent.

Zach

Quote from: mikeb on June 11, 2019, 02:25:17 PM
does it matter what the watts are if im not using an after market amp? maybee 40 to 60 watts? does it matter whether the speakers are 2 or 4 or 8 ohms? what are you running on your bike??

Cozz

I put in a set of JL Audio 6.5  speakers with eBay adapters, a few years ago when I got the bike. I think they are 4 ohm. They still sound great. Can that cause damage to the head unit long term with them being 4 instead of 2 ohm?
2004 Electraglide Ultra Classic

Coyote

Quote from: Cozz on June 12, 2019, 02:36:40 PM
I put in a set of JL Audio 6.5  speakers with eBay adapters, a few years ago when I got the bike. I think they are 4 ohm. They still sound great. Can that cause damage to the head unit long term with them being 4 instead of 2 ohm?

No, it won't hurt anything but it's usually not done as you will only get half the power output of the amp.

biggzed

If you have an amp in the mix then the head unit gets taken out of the equation so to speak. You want to match the speaker impedance with the amp. So no issue.

Using speakers with a higher impedance than the rated power source is not a damage issue, just performance like Coyote stated. Using speakers with lower impedance (2 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm stable amp) could cause damage.

Zach

Quote from: Cozz on June 12, 2019, 02:36:40 PM