April 18, 2024, 10:21:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Melted plastic on pipes

Started by jrgreene1968, June 13, 2019, 06:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgreene1968

Today something got on my new pipe and melted.maybe plastic, not sure.
I looked online and see where some peoplereccomend oven cleaner.Wandering if oven cleaner will mess up the chrome finish? Any other ideas to remove it?
I tried chrome polish, and it didn't touch it.
Thanks

FXDBI

Try gently scraping it off hot with a razor blade. Don't press hard try and find the right angle that lifts it without scratching it. Cleaner and polish after it cools off. It worked for me.  Bob

Scotty

I heat it up with a heat gun carefully and scrape it up with a wooden ice cream stick.
Not sure what you guys calls them over there.

SOCS

I have  had luck with Weiman glass cook top cleaner on both chrome and black ceramic pipes.

jrgreene1968

Thanks.. I'll give it a shot.  :up:

bobrk1

:slap:happened  to  me  I  waited  until  pipe  was  cold  and  used razor  blade  it came  off in a sheet 

Panzer

If it thick it will come off in a sheet, but if like a smear, using a razor blade will scratch it.
Using metal to metal, you'll have scratches.
I second the heat gun idea.......wipe and wipe, then try "Never Dull"......rub....rub.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Pete_Vit

I've had great success with plastics from boot heels and rain gear by starting the bike, heating the pipe up, and using a mild soapy rag and it wipes right off.
they key, at least for the issues I've had was to make sure it was good and hot, like when it melted to the pipe.   :smilep:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

jrgreene1968

I ended up trying 0000 steel wool sprayed down with wd40. It took it off, I was worried it was going to scratch, but can't tell where it was :up:

chaos901

I've used the real fine steel wool too with success.  May try the glass cooktop cleaner though in the future.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rredneckn2

If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Pete_Vit

Quote from: rredneckn2 on June 14, 2019, 07:57:02 AM
This works well
another first for me,  :up: I'll try and get some, try it out, thanks  :beer:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

PBSTN

I have used a penny. Seen video on youtube.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

jmorton10

I've been using 0000 stainless & windex for years, works perfect.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS