April 19, 2024, 01:19:54 PM

News:

tire question

Started by hogmandon, June 14, 2019, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

June 14, 2019, 04:12:32 AM Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:16:49 AM by hogmandon
Need new rear tire and have been using American Elite 111. Now I see a American Elite 4. What is the difference. Are they worth changing to.

PoorUB

Which tire are you asking about? There is and American Elite, and a Elite 3 & Elite 4, but no American Elite 3 or 4.

As for the Elite 4 it is replacing the Elite 3 so you will need to change to the 4 or something else. I would guess if you like the 3, the 4 should be fine.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

92flhtcu

as PoorUB asked, which tire are you really asking about? Often gets mis-stated on here
So what is on the front?
Need a bigger garage

calif phil

The Elite III is probably the longest lasting, if that is your main concern.  I prefer the American Elite as it is a dual compound and you get grip and mileage. 

hogmandon

The best combo I have found is the  camander on the front and American elite on the rear. the American elite on the front was great but cupped badly very quickly. I push it pretty hard in the turns. I am looking to replace both front and rear and was asking if the elite 4 was a better tire than the American elite

92flhtcu

on my baggers, all pre '09, I ve had no reason to run anything other than American Elite's
Again, more info always helps, Bike, riding style, etc
Need a bigger garage

chas

anyone know who makes the widest white wall?

bigfoot5x

I've been running the American Elites since they came out on my Street Glides and now on the wife's Dyna Super Glide. We get great mileage out of them. Never worry about riding in the rain or anything else. I have had the front one's cup on the Street Glides. However, the cupping does not show up until time to replace the tire on mine. Somebody recently suggested I should put 45 psi in the front rather than the 41 that is shown on the side wall. Just put a new front tire on, so thought I would try it.

Coff 06

I've had really good luck with the American Elite rear in the 200/17.Great mileage compared to everything else.That being said my experience with the 90/90-21 was less than desirable.The wear and mileage were terrible.So I'll stay with the AE rear and a different front tire
                  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

IronButt70

Quote from: bigfoot5x on June 25, 2019, 02:43:48 PM
I've been running the American Elites since they came out on my Street Glides and now on the wife's Dyna Super Glide. We get great mileage out of them. Never worry about riding in the rain or anything else. I have had the front one's cup on the Street Glides. However, the cupping does not show up until time to replace the tire on mine. Somebody recently suggested I should put 45 psi in the front rather than the 41 that is shown on the side wall. Just put a new front tire on, so thought I would try it.
Tires and pressures is/will always be up for debate. IMHO running 45 or even 41 in a front tire is a very bad idea. On hot summer days rolling down the road at 80 they could easily reach 50 PSI. The higher the pressure the less contact your tire will have with the pavement and the quicker they will wear out. I normally run 34 in the front and never run more than 36 for loaded travel and always get 25k miles or more on a front tire including the OEM 402 that came on my bike. Again all this is JMHO and YMMV. There are no mountains and very few twisties in Fl.  :smiled:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.