April 18, 2024, 09:58:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tire size

Started by dubepj, June 16, 2019, 04:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

I recently acquired a 2013 Dyna Switchback with about 8000 miles.  Just about ready for a new rear tire.  The tire on now is a Dunlop D401 160/70B17.
Any reason you guys know of not to go a bit narrower.  Like 150. Not going to switch rims.  Wide rear tires cost more and I know of no advantage.  I don't think they last longer.
Thanks for your advice.

jrgreene1968

I got the exact opposite problem.. I wish I could fit a wider tire

Boe Cole

I always look at the bike being designed for certain sized tires and am reluctant to think I'm better than the engineers that designed the bike.  Just my way of looking at things....
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

kd

Quote from: dubepj on June 16, 2019, 04:27:58 PM
I recently acquired a 2013 Dyna Switchback with about 8000 miles.  Just about ready for a new rear tire.  The tire on now is a Dunlop D401 160/70B17.
Any reason you guys know of not to go a bit narrower.  Like 150. Not going to switch rims.  Wide rear tires cost more and I know of no advantage.  I don't think they last longer.
Thanks for your advice.

Check the load ratings and tread depth of both.  You will often find the larger tire higher rated with deeper tread.  That's 2 advantages right there.
KD

Nastytls

I know Avon will tell you what rim sizes they want a specific tire size on, usually within .5'' increments.  Other manufacturers may offer similar information. Take a look around their sites and see what you can find.