April 16, 2024, 02:29:06 PM

News:

Pants melted on pipe

Started by Frankie 5, June 18, 2019, 12:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie 5

Dress slacks melted on a black Rush exhaust slip on. Any idea how to remove?

TIA  Frank

Lone Ranger

I've used a brass fitting to rub off melted shoe from my chrome exhaust. The brass is a softer metal and doesn't scratch the chrome. You might try that.

Pete_Vit

Flat black slip on? that's one's beyond me  :emsad:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

IronButt70

I've had very good success using oven cleaner to remove melted on stuff from chrome pipes. Don't know if it would damage black exhaust. Maybe you could try a small test on an area of the pipe that doesn't show.  :nix:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

SixShooter14

steel wool and/or scotch-brite pad? Might not damage the black, but idk.  :nix:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

MikeL

Good thing it wasn't your skin.
I burnt my right leg on my Ultra pipe. It made a good mark. I didn't bother removing the skin. It took a couple of hundred miles to disappear.
Maybe the same for the pant fabric. It may burn off. Chrome is 1 thing ez off oven cleaner works good. On paint or powder coat I don't think so.

MIKE

CndUltra88

Send a picture and explanation to the folks @Rush exhaust and ask them.
They might have some useful info.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Panzer

CndUltra88 has a good  :idea:
Did the same as you coming from my doc. with Banlon slacks.
Thought it was some trucks brakes I was smelling till I looked down and saw my cuff melted to the pipe.
Can't help you with the black, just chrome....sry brother.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

Get it hot and try wiping it off with a wet cotton rag? Wear thick leather gloves, wipe quick.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: CndUltra88 on June 18, 2019, 05:14:56 PM
Send a picture and explanation to the folks @Rush exhaust and ask them.
They might have some useful info.
Rob
:up: good idea !

tomcat64

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tomboyjr

If your black Rush pipes are anything like mine were, you will be repainting them anyway after a few years-lol. In 6 years I had to paint them twice. They would get little bluish circles on them. But after painting they would look great again. I would use steel wool to scratch them up, then paint with high heat paint. The 2nd time I didnt even take the chrome tips off, just taped them and the baffle bolts.

Frankie 5

Thanks all. Rush says to use 91% rubbing alcohol on a warm pipe. I'll try tonight.

Frank

Pete_Vit

Quote from: FRANKIE 5 on June 19, 2019, 08:45:14 AM
Thanks all. Rush says to use 91% rubbing alcohol on a warm pipe. I'll try tonight.

Frank
:up: let us know how it works, and looks after

BKACHE

For me the stuff in brake clean breaks up the melt nylon/plastic. Just soak it - rag on it and spray it wet for a min. Then wipe it off.
Dan

guppymech

Quote from: Hossamania on June 18, 2019, 06:23:02 PM
Get it hot and try wiping it off with a wet cotton rag? Wear thick leather gloves, wipe quick.
This has worked for me before.  If you catch it while it's still melty the cotton rag will wipe it off without melting also.  If it goes through a bunch of heat cycles then it just gets hard and burned.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Panzer

Frank

Don't use it all, you can drink the rest if it doesn't come off. :baby:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on June 19, 2019, 06:20:15 PM

Frank

Don't use it all, you can drink the rest if it doesn't come off. :baby:
:emoGroan:

Fugawee

I've Used Lighter Fluid Over the Years to Remove Just about Anything on Exhaust Systems, Other Parts, or Stickers from the Factory with No Discoloration on Chrome or Paint.  Soak a Corner of a Soft Rag and Rub Lightly, but Quickly.  Or, Squirt a Little on the Spot and Let it Soak for a Few Seconds, the Start Rubbing Away.  The Fluid Evaporates Rapidly.  Whatever You are Trying to Remove will Turn into a Gummy Slop; kind of Like Chewing Gum on Hot Pavement. Use Another Rag and Remove That.  Don't Smoke, and Have Patience.  It's Getting Tougher to Find Lighter Fluid, at Least Where I Live.  The Only Place I Find It is at Some Type of Discount Tobacco/Cigarette Shop.  That "Goof Off" Product is Similar to Lighter Fluid, but I Never Had a Lot of Luck with It.  Good Luck.

tomcat64

Sambo62

I have black Basanni pipes and I used the get it really hot, damp cotton rag, thick gloves, wipe quick method mentioned by Hoss above.  Worked well.  Took a couple times to get it all, but I got it all off eventually.