April 23, 2024, 05:27:57 AM

News:

Rear Turn Signal Elimination

Started by Propflux01, June 20, 2019, 07:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

Wanting to remove and eliminate the turn signal bar on my 2009 UC. I have turn signals mounted on the bags, and the stock bar that houses the stock turn signals needs to go. However, the only thing I can find toncover the mess is this:

https://www.customdynamics.com/turn-signal-eliminator-kit-for-touring

But the problem is, my license plate is located above and out of the way under the tourpack, this bracket wants to put it below the tail light, which I don't want.

Is there another alternative short of replacing the whole fender? Anyone else run into this issue?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Propflux01

June 21, 2019, 04:56:32 PM #1 Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:46:31 PM by FSG
Perhaps someone might know what to use to fill these holes, short of aother light bar? ( not wanting a new fender or bodywork type stuff). Thanx in advance.

[attach=0,msg1303497]

Evo160K

My first choice would be to bend a round piece of stainless tubing the same diameter as the tubes guarding the saddlebags into a low/wide "v-shape" and mount it over the holes.  The idea being to more or less carry the theme of the bag bars across the fender.

Obviously some metal skills would be involved.  The stainless could be polished or plated.

FSG

you can bet your local NAPA/Auto Store will have those push in plastic buttons that will fit those holes

put them in a cardboard box first then spray with a rattle can

ViseGrips

June 22, 2019, 04:02:13 AM #4 Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 04:10:12 AM by ViseGrips
.. glass red dots with a chrome outer ring that have a tab to bend over to secure them..similar to the blue dot ones used on tail lights on motorcycles might also do the trick..

>>> https://www.mooneyesusa.com/Glass-Red-Dots-p/upa5010-5.htm

Sycho01

The link for the custom plate frame would work better aesthetically if you matched the color of the rear fender. If you went with the chrome one you could just paint the top of the frame to match the fender and it would sort of disappear. Either way it would move your plate to a more custom location below the tail light were it should have been from the factory. Other options require body work and repainting. That could be expensive. Painting the license plate frame could be done with a touch up spray can of paint. Pretty cheap option.

chaos901

Those would appear to be some interesting options.  Putting the "before" picture up gave them something to work on.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Propflux01

And thank you to all who responded. Now I have some ideas....

rking1550

This is on my roadking, with a added  tour pack. Just to show you how it could look. I like it and it cleans up the ass end nice without the tour pack on.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

Propflux01

Fugawee

Some of Those Stickers that Look Like Bullitt Holes Should Do the Trick.  Just Kidding.  Those Chrome or Black Metal Plugs Might Work.  Or Rubber.  I guess it depends on How You Like Your Bike to Look.  Fabricating One or Two of Pieces of Metal or Aluminum into Something Nice, then Painting, Chroming, or Powder Coating?  Those Bullitt Type of Fasteners used for Mounting License Plates Might take Your Eye Off of the Holes, or H-D or maybe the Aftermarket has a 2 or maybe 3 rail type, of Fender Accessory with Either Plain Ends, or Chrome Balls on the End that might work also.  That Might Need to Be Re-configured a Bit.  I don't Know.  I don't Blame You for Wanting to Fill In or Cover Them Up.  I Would do The Same.  I Have Enough Old Chrome Junk/Scrap Around that I Could Probably Engineer Something.  Good Luck,  The Possibilities are Endless.  Radio Antenna's, Flag Holders, Reflectors, One of Those Frame Down-Tube Mounted Tubes (smaller one) that Holds Your Registration and What-not with Two Clamps Mounted Horizontally?  Now You've Got My Old Brain Rattling...Good Luck.

04rkryder

tomboyjr

I had a similar problem. When I installed the detachable hardware for the tour pack on my Ultra, I wanted the license plate under the brake light to look like a Street Glide. I found this cheap plate holder on ebay that mounted using the holes for the signal light wires. I painted it black, and then bought a  brake light with the clear light on the bottom to light up the plate. Plate holder and new lens was under $60.

CndUltra88

Quote from: Propflux01 on June 21, 2019, 04:56:32 PM
Perhaps someone might know what to use to fill these holes, short of aother light bar? ( not wanting a new fender or bodywork type stuff). Thanx in advance.

[attach=0,msg1303497]

They kinda look like bullet holes to me.
Could be good fodder for those posers who pull up at stop lights or asking for directions to the Cafe Lattefrappachino shops.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Propflux01

Well, I found an alternative, But I need to know how to de-pin this type of connector. I want to do this without cutting the wire.

tomboyjr

This is how I did the new bike.  [attach=0]

rigidthumper

Quote from: Propflux01 on June 26, 2019, 07:49:13 PM
Well, I found an alternative, But I need to know how to de-pin this type of connector. I want to do this without cutting the wire.
There's a small, plastic "tang" that holds the pin in place. You can take a safety pin, and slide it down, along side the pin, until the tip engages the plastic- then gently pivot the plastic away from the pin, to the "release" position. Once the plastic is away, gently pull on the wire, attached to the pin you're removing, while holding the pin/tang in the release position.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

klammer76

Quote from: rking1550 on June 22, 2019, 10:48:25 AM
This is on my roadking, with a added  tour pack. Just to show you how it could look. I like it and it cleans up the ass end nice without the tour pack on.
That is what I use. I had mine powder coated gloss black.

klammer76

Quote from: Propflux01 on June 26, 2019, 07:49:13 PM
Very simple once you understand the amp pin and get the smallest eye glasses screw screw driver. That is what I use. Be patient. Hold the plastic connector, insert the screw driver and push down with your palm while pulling the wire out at the same time with your other hand.

Propflux01

I got them out, a big thanx to everyone!. What I did was get an FLHRSI light bar (without the license plate adapter). Bolted it on, and wiring the lights to run as regular tail lights rather than blinkers. On the connector that powers the rear tail/brake light, there is a forth wire bay that is not used. It supply's a constant 12v and is used only on international bikes. So I just slid the connector into it, and I am using some cheap low-light red LED's to run the new tail lights.