April 26, 2024, 08:02:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Torque specs

Started by Sunny Jim, June 22, 2019, 06:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunny Jim

Probably an ancient topic, But here goes! what is the correct tension step by step for an M8 head using an MLS gasket?
More the point! Is it the same as a twin Cam?

Scotty

First off I have not done one myself but mate followed HD service manual procedure and has had no problems.
No real torque spec as they use degree's in the service manual.
Not really answering your question but at least giving you something.

speedzter

You may have found this :
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=102935.0

It appears they supply the same torque spec sheet as for the Twin Cam's.
So you can use the cometic method, or the factory method .

Hilly13

My thought is if your using cometic gaskets then use their torque spec, the Harley method could have you end up with too high a final torque. The reason I think that is when the MLS is squashed flat it stops compressing and who knows how much torque the 90° swing will end up at, might pull a stud, Harley gasket use their method, my take anyhow.
Just because its said don't make it so

Hilly13

One other thing that came up not long ago that makes sense as well, I dunno about M8's but if you use the SE studs then the effect will be even more pronounced as they stretch less than stock.

Scotty

Quote from: Hilly13 on June 23, 2019, 12:07:21 AM
My thought is if your using cometic gaskets then use their torque spec, the Harley method could have you end up with too high a final torque. The reason I think that is when the MLS is squashed flat it stops compressing and who knows how much torque the 90° swing will end up at, might pull a stud, Harley gasket use their method, my take anyhow.

I think what Hilly said but go a a step further and use a torque wrench and mark the degrees as well and see what the difference is when the torque wrench clicks.
Would be worth looking at as they may be so close it make no difference or could be miles apart.

Sunny Jim

Cometic recommends the 90 degree effect on the M8.

Hilly13

Chuck's my theory out the window, thanks for putting that up Jim, good info.

Scotty

Quote from: Hilly13 on June 24, 2019, 08:22:45 PM

I didn't believe my mate when he told me the instructions said use OEM specs but he was right.  :rtfb:

Hilly13

Quote from: Scotty on June 25, 2019, 01:29:21 AM
Quote from: Hilly13 on June 24, 2019, 08:22:45 PM

I didn't believe my mate when he told me the instructions said use OEM specs but he was right.  :rtfb:
Haha, oh well, always happy to be educated Scotty   :teeth: