April 25, 2024, 05:16:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

97 Heritage ST needs new shocks

Started by hogpipes1, June 23, 2019, 12:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

Asked this yesterday but it's gone . So whats a good set of shocks that will will great for a better ride . Gal has bad back thanks.

HogMike

I run progressive 422 on my lowered 2000 Heritage. I think they make the early models also.
They are just ok with my passenger, not so great solo.
But, I have them set for passenger weight.

HOGMIKE
SoCal

jrgreene1968

Quote from: HOGMIKE on June 23, 2019, 01:11:32 PM
I run progressive 422 on my lowered 2000 Heritage. I think they make the early models also.
I'm running the same on my Fatboy, but have it lowered. Rides tougher than a lumber wagon, maybe just a hair better than a ridged  :hyst:
I've been beating the idea around to try the shotgun shock, but everytime I get ready to buy, I come across a bad review saying how they suck

92flhtcu

I sell a lot of 422's, have not had bad feedback on standard height ride, usually get a lot of positive. Once you lower it, opinions vary

Just not as many choices out there for the softies of that generation

See your local indy, or call CaliPhil
Need a bigger garage

HogMike

Quote from: jrgreene1968 on June 23, 2019, 01:42:09 PM
I'm running the same on my Fatboy, but have it lowered. Rides tougher than a lumber wagon, maybe just a hair better than a ridged  :hyst:
I've been beating the idea around to try the shotgun shock, but everytime I get ready to buy, I come across a bad review saying how they suck

If you had it lowered a bunch, you may be on the rubber bump stop.
I had to raise mine up a bit and crank up the preload to get any decent ride.
Still not as plush as my bagger, but! FUN
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

jrgreene1968

Quote from: HOGMIKE on June 23, 2019, 04:30:29 PM
Quote from: jrgreene1968 on June 23, 2019, 01:42:09 PM

If you had it lowered a bunch, you may be on the rubber bump stop.
I had to raise mine up a bit and crank up the preload to get any decent ride.
Still not as plush as my bagger, but! FUN
:missed:

Yeah I dropped it all the way, but went around the block and raised it up some. It's probably lowered 1-1 1/2" . I knew it would kill the ride, but it's a bar hopper and love the way it sits. Trying to talk wife into buying me a street glide.. but she keeps saying soon as I buy her a new house  :hyst:

Ironheadmike

I set the preload so when I sit on the bike the rear fender goes down about 1/2 in .  Also , if you just want a replacement shocks , I have a set of stock ones that are in really good shape you can have .

Langwilliams

you could go with a shotgun shock....drop it for looks when cruising around town an air it up for a comfy ride when on the road.

BlueDeuce01

Rather than getting new shocks, I opted to replace the springs in my Heritage with Big Red springs from LA Choppers. I don't have it lowered as much as my Deuce, which uses the blue springs. I set the Heritage about 3/4 of an inch lower than stock (measured at the rear fender tip) with about 3 turns of preload. It rides pretty nice compared to previously.