March 28, 2024, 01:00:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Upgrades and PM

Started by IronButt70, February 18, 2019, 12:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

Should be getting my bike(17 FLSTC 37k miles) back in the next week after 2+ months of wreck repairs. Since the factory warranty will have expired I'm doing some upgrades and PM. Here's what I'm doing so far.
TTS100 cams
New inner cam bearings
New lifters- using stock push rods
New cam chain tensioner pads
Rocker lockers and new head breathers.
New cam and sprocket bolts.
All new gaskets and o-rings as needed.

Are there any other recommendations while I'm into the engine? I've never worked on a TC motor but I have wrenched on everything from lawn mowers to high performance outboard and offshore race engines to jet engines so I'm pretty confident I can handle this. I have all the tools needed and the service manual. Any advise or things to look for would be greatly appreciated. TIA
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

calif phil

You will like those cams.   I think you have a good plan laid out. 

biggzed

You might want to grab a cam sprocket spacer kit to have on hand. They aren't too expensive. Easier to have it and not need it then.... well you know.

Zach

doctorevil

If i remember right you cant use the stock  pushrods on the tts cams smaller base circle. Someone else will chime in.

Ohio HD

Rear cam sprocket spacers are $5.34 each. Most likely you won't need to change from the spacer that's in there.

25729-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.100 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25731-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.110 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25734-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.120 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25736-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.130 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25737-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.140 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 

IronButt70

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 19, 2019, 07:59:38 PM
Rear cam sprocket spacers are $5.34 each. Most likely you won't need to change from the spacer that's in there.

25729-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.100 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25731-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.110 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25734-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.120 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25736-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.130 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34 
25737-06  SPACER, CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET ALIGNMENT 0.140 IN THICK (USE AS REQUIRED)    1    5.34
Thanks. The instructions that came with the S&S inner cam bearings made mention of those spacers. Local dealer has them in stock if needed.

IronButt70

Quote from: doctorevil on February 19, 2019, 07:05:47 PM
If i remember right you cant use the stock  pushrods on the tts cams smaller base circle. Someone else will chime in.
Checked with the seller who is a member here. He said the stock push rods would be fine.

IronButt70

Since I'm going to have the rocker covers off is there any advantage to pulling the heads to up the compression ratio a smidgen with a thinner head gasket? Would that help the performance with the TTS100 cams or would it not be worth the extra work?

Ohio HD

If you have the time, and not concerned with the cost of the gaskets, I say do it. I wouldn't expect night and day difference, but every little bit helps.

"I" would replace the o-rings at the cylinder base if it were mine. To far into it at that point to not do it. You do not need to do anything with the rings, just put the cylinders back on and go. 

IronButt70

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 03, 2019, 05:12:37 PM
If you have the time, and not concerned with the cost of the gaskets, I say do it. I wouldn't expect night and day difference, but every little bit helps.

"I" would replace the o-rings at the cylinder base if it were mine. To far into it at that point to not do it. You do not need to do anything with the rings, just put the cylinders back on and go.
Thanks.

kd

The reduced quench alone would make me wanna do it.  Get a little detonation protection at least.
KD

rigidthumper

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 03, 2019, 04:55:31 PM
Since I'm going to have the rocker covers off is there any advantage to pulling the heads to up the compression ratio a smidgen with a thinner head gasket? Would that help the performance with the TTS100 cams or would it not be worth the extra work?

Be careful of "project creep", because once you have the heads in your hands, it's easy to say "I should replace the valve stem seals", and once the valve are in your hand, "a good valve job is money well spent", and since the heads are off, and you are replacing cylinder o-rings anyway, might as well chuck them up in the lathe and zero the deck height, etc.
If I was 8 bolts, and a little time away from, having the heads in my hands...I'm a big fan of .030" quench :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

IronButt70

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 04, 2019, 06:55:49 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on March 03, 2019, 04:55:31 PM

Be careful of "project creep", because once you have the heads in your hands, it's easy to say "I should replace the valve stem seals", and once the valve are in your hand, "a good valve job is money well spent", and since the heads are off, and you are replacing cylinder o-rings anyway, might as well chuck them up in the lathe and zero the deck height, etc.
If I was 8 bolts, and a little time away from, having the heads in my hands...I'm a big fan of .030" quench :)
You guys are killin' me.  :emoGroan:  :SM:

Barrett

I pulled my heads just for the .030HG. After I saw what they looked like I had to send them off to be worked over.
My new crank turned into a whole new engine also...

PoorUB

This is the reason I swear I will not pull the heads any more. Way too many "may as well being it is apart".
Pull the heads, check the valves, send them out for guides, valves and seals. May as well clean up the ports and mill a few thousandths off. Oops,  the pistons are .008" down the hole, pull the cylinders to get the pistons at zero deck. Next think you know you have a 150 HP/150 FTLBS 124" with $10k invested! :doh:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

IronButt70

Quote from: PoorUB on March 04, 2019, 01:59:41 PMNext think you know you have a 150 HP/150 FTLBS 124" with $10k invested! :doh:
If that ever happened my wife would make me disappear without a trace.  :bike:
Since this is probably my last bike I want the most reliability I can get without busting the budget.

PoorUB

You want dependability? IMO, the more you alter from factory the less dependable it becomes. Leave the heads on, it isn't worth it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

76shuvlinoff

New head breathers? Compensator ok?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

IronButt70

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 04, 2019, 05:31:52 PM
New head breathers? Compensator ok?
New head breathers going in. The bike is at the dealer for wreck repairs and they had the primary cover off. I asked about the comp and they said it looked good.

IronButt70

Quote from: PoorUB on March 04, 2019, 05:26:58 PM
You want dependability? IMO, the more you alter from factory the less dependable it becomes. Leave the heads on, it isn't worth it.
The more I think about it the more I think you're probably right. Just going with the cams, inner cam bearings, lifters and rocker lockers. Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. Y'all rock.

IronButt70

Got a call today that my bike was ready for pickup. Went to pick it up and started looking it over. The black powder coating on the inner primary cover was snow white. Their were finger prints all over most of the chrome parts. They cleaned up the prints and took care of the white out but how can they call me and expect me to accept this. Then they told me that the battery light would not go out because the ECM was looking for a siren according to the DW. WTF. I start the bike up and drive away, speedo not working. Now I'm fuming. Turns out someone plugged the speedo harness into the siren harness. How could they have test ridden this and not noticed the speedo wasn't working? Now speedo works and no more battery light. Bike runs fine and when I get home I put it up on the lift. Come out later and notice oil running down the side of the oil tank under the fill. Pull the fill cap and more oil runs out. The system was over filled by almost  a quart. Lucky it was in the 50s today. Tomorrow I'm going over the bike with a fine toothed comb. Then I'm going back to have a little chat with the store manager. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. Not what I expected after nearly 3 months.

02roadcling

Tell him you want to talk to the goofball that worked on your bike. If he won't tell you then look at your paperwork and there will be a name or employee number which everybody will also know. Then educate him. I'd bet he's a peon.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

IronButt70

Quote from: 02roadcling on March 06, 2019, 06:28:32 PM
Tell him you want to talk to the goofball that worked on your bike. If he won't tell you then look at your paperwork and there will be a name or employee number which everybody will also know. Then educate him. I'd bet he's a peon.

cling
That is what's baffling about this. I've been using this dealership for years and the tech that worked on it has been there a long time and has worked on my bike in the past. Never had anything like this happen before.  :emsad:

02roadcling

Bummer. He's messed up in some aspect of his life.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

IronButt70

Quote from: 02roadcling on March 07, 2019, 10:05:29 AM
Bummer. He's messed up in some aspect of his life.

cling
Could be. He definitely wasn't PFAing on this one. I really hate to complain but there is no excuse for all of this.