March 29, 2024, 04:11:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SERT Vs. SEPST Vs. SEST?

Started by RaccoonCityKid, December 04, 2016, 11:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaccoonCityKid

I posted this question on 1130cc and Rbabos said I would have better luck on this forum.

I have a 2016 NRS and would like to add a Fitzgerald pipe and air filter this winter. I realize by doing that I will need to buy a tuner and have the bike tuned. Unfortunately I don't know anything about tuning a bike and the only good tuners in my area are the Harley dealers. I also don't feel like blowing up a new bike attempting to tune it myself.

There are several options for tuners, but the dealer I go to only knows how to work with SE tuners. I know that a lawsuit took place a few years ago and the race tuners and super tuners were pulled from the shelves. Eventually I would like to go beyond a pipe and filter and do a big bore job. From what I've been reading is that the race tuner/super tuners were able to do more that the street tuner, however the dealership s telling me that the street tuners is capable of doing everything the other two do. Can someone shed a little light on this claim? Should I go with a street tuner or fork out the extra coin for an unused super/race tuner? Is there a better option? I don't really trust those auto tuners and in my opinion nothing beats a good dyno tune.

Thanks for the help!

harleytuner

The race tuner (SERT) was discontinued in 2008. Even if you were able to find one unused they won't have any calibrations for your bike.  The Pro Super Tuner SEPST) would be your best bet if  SE products.  The street Tuner (SEST) only allows EPA compliant calibrations and severely limits the adjustments that can be made.  They work ok for smaller (stage I and II) build using HD products but I'd be Leary about using it on anything else.

TTS Master Tune would be my first choice, followed by the Dynojet Power Vision.

rbabos

Maybe moving this over to the AFR section will give more hits?
Ron

rigidthumper

SE Street tuner doesn't even offer an option for your bike.  SEPST has base maps for 1250 stage 1 and 1250 stage 2 or stage 2 w/ bigger throttle body, but they're hard to find at a reasonable price. TTS base map covers 2012 to present w/stock exhaust, so it would need dialed in for your selection.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?