April 18, 2024, 12:11:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124 S and S cycle kit

Started by havenolife, September 29, 2019, 07:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

havenolife

part number 310-1052 S and S Cycle 124 kit has anyone used this complete kit do you like it would you do it again would you change anything how many miles on your kit and were there any problems with your kit I have a 17 street glide with the 107 M8 out of warrantee now and want to install this kit in the upcoming winter I would like any and all feed back I will also get new head bolts new steel intake thanks Jack
Harley Davidson making mechanices out of riders since 1903

Hillside Motorcycle

We use the S&S cylinders and various cams to establish a 124".
Last set of S&S M8 piston/cyls were -.026" below deck.
A lot of "shops" do NOT have in-house capabilities to correctly address that.
We do.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

a S&S cylinder kit is all i would recommend using,theres a lot of M8 kits out there with "who knows where their made" cylinders.like scott said,match a cam & headwork to your riding style

jamminhd2000

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on October 03, 2019, 04:11:44 AM
We use the S&S cylinders and various cams to establish a 124".
Last set of S&S M8 piston/cyls were -.026" below deck.
A lot of "shops" do NOT have in-house capabilities to correctly address that.
We do.
How do you address it? You take material off the bottom or top of cylinder?

VDeuce

Generally, material is taken off the bottom.

jamminhd2000

les

What's recommended to be changed to feed this beast?

rigidthumper

Tuner, clutch upgrade, new head bolts, SE manifold, pipes. If you want a little more, port heads, add TB & injectors.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 05, 2019, 05:51:04 AM
Tuner, clutch upgrade, new head bolts, SE manifold, pipes. If you want a little more, port heads, add TB & injectors.

Any recommendation on a specific throttle body and capacity injectors? 

rigidthumper

If you get the SE64 TB, it comes with the aluminum manifold. That manifold can be cleaned up a little.  The SE 5.5s are reasonable priced, and will feed it.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

Ohio HD

My cylinder guy always uses the bottom to insure the base is 90° to the bore. If the top needs cleaned, he dusts it first, then takes the required amount from the base.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 05, 2019, 01:18:32 PM
My cylinder guy always uses the bottom to insure the base is 90° to the bore. If the top needs cleaned, he dusts it first, then takes the required amount from the base.

Brian, I'm assuming he would true the bottom (or at least check it) first so it is jigged square and then go back after resurfacing to trim to length?
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on October 05, 2019, 03:55:33 PM

Brian, I'm assuming he would true the bottom (or at least check it) first so it is jigged square and then go back after resurfacing to trim to length?

Bill trues any cylinder base before boring, even if the application doesn't need checked for deck. He also checks bore alignment to the base before doing any work. When a guy has bored no telling how many thousand cylinders over 40 years, he's run into everything that can go wrong or arrive to him wrong.

Don D

This spigot is .027 thick. Not getting anywhere near it. The top was true to the base before cutting within <.001

Sunny Jim

We have recently had a broken spigot on a 107 bored to 117 cylinder. I am curious to hear of anyone else with a similar experience.
Is it possible that over tensioning the the cylinders could render them out of round and risk this malfunction of the spigot?

adayrider

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 05, 2019, 04:37:15 PM

Bill trues any cylinder base before boring, even if the application doesn't need checked for deck. He also checks bore alignment to the base before doing any work. When a guy has bored no telling how many thousand cylinders over 40 years, he's run into everything that can go wrong or arrive to him wrong.

Bill who?

havenolife

Harley Davidson making mechanices out of riders since 1903

Hillside Motorcycle

Mounted in an expanding mandrel, both cylinder head gasket surface, and cylinder base can be true in the same "chucking".
100% dead balls true to bore C/L.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"