1992 Baker 5 speed tranny questions

Started by midwestcowboy, February 28, 2017, 06:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestcowboy

Good Morning All;
                           I have a 92 FLSTC with what I'm assuming is the original 5 speed Tranny. I received the new JP Cycle catalog and saw an upgraded Shifter Shaft Assembly(pg 12). I had the tranny gone through a couple years ago, but to be honest, can't vouch for the workmanship. I have had some issues with down shifting from 5 to 4 occasionally, but other than that all seems well......that said,
                           Is this an up grade worth considering? Or is periodically replacing the pawl carrier spring the better option? I have the service manual, but it's a little vague.. How far do I have to go to access the part in question?  I'm sort of on my own
here in the boonies, and like to do my own work anyway.
                            Finally, For the life of me I can't locate the pawl adjuster as shown in the manual. The local wrench never heard of making the adjustment as shown in the manual. The pictures I have aren't the greatest.
                                      Thanks & Happy Trails                                 

mattdrag

Adjuster is in between inner primary and tranny case, maybe small hex head or slotted with lock nut. If he works on transmissions and never heard of the adj--FIND A NEW GUY.  Mis-adjusted it can cause all kinds of shifting problems. The baker drum and shift pawl ( the part that rotates the drum) should be an upgrade. But to remove the pawl you will have to remove gearset. g

Mark P

If this is only happening in 4th gear then I would say it is a problem with the gear itself, a bent fork or bent fork rod. A shifter pawl out of adjustment will cause shifting issues though out the gears not in just one gear or two gears.