April 19, 2024, 05:36:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear running lights

Started by chucktrue, July 10, 2018, 06:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chucktrue

2006 Dyna Wide Glide:

Anyone have a problem with the rear running light(tailight) not coming on.

Thx group.

Chuck T

Hossamania

Yes. The bulb was burned out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

chucktrue

My bulb is good. Brake light works. I must have a short somewhere. Thx.

Hossamania

July 10, 2018, 07:35:34 AM #3 Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:07:14 AM by Hossamania
Check the wiring harness under the rear fender, it may have been rubbed by the tire. Check under the seat, it should have a plug for the harness, a good place to check for power to the light. Check the plug itself at the light for power or damage.
How did you test the bulb?

rigidthumper

Just because the brake lamp works, doesn't mean the bulb is good- there are two circuits in that bulb,  running lamp ( which is on continuous, and more likely to burn out), and brake lamp, which has a separate power wire, and only operates when the lever/pedal is operated.
Simple test light ( or try a spare bulb) can check power/wiring.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

DanThe Man

Reviving this with a Road King running light question. I install some lights for a buddy and I seemed to have screwed up. I installed a kit, eBay special that he bought. Driving light on top and amber signals/running on the bottom. I now have no running lights, all around, or tail light. I know I need to get back in there and test some wires but I thought I would ask here first if anyone had any ides. 2017 Road King. When I was in the headlight it looked like someone had already been in there and committed some butchery. The Otho other signals in from are mirror signals with sequential leds. We're on there when he bought the bike. They are coming off as they are to small to be worth a "Potty mouth". TIA.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
I thought I was wrong once but i was mistaken.

Hossamania

Right now your only option is to go back in and test from the beginning, fuses, connectors, etc. Disconnect things and start reconnecting one at a time to find a fault. Does it have some type of aftermarket relay to make them work? I believe that is a canbus system, which has special requirements when changing out OEM lighting.

DanThe Man

That's what I'll do. I believe you're right about the canbus system. I have a feeling it's a fuse. I can't get over there until next week so he'll be cranky backseat he can't ride. Oh well, then take it to a shop n pay full price. That said though it was weird. We hooked up the additional right signal and nothing. No signal, nota. When we hooked up the left then both signals worked. But no running lights. I'll sort it out.

Hossamania

He should be able to check fuses easy enough.

PoorUB

There is not many fuses on a Canbus bike. The ECM handles the overloads and shuts off the bad circuit.

I would strip off the accessory lights and try it with nothing extra hooked up. Then add something and try it, then add more. Also if you are connecting into an existing lighting circuit the ECM might see the additional lighting as an overload and shut off the circuit. You may need to add relays to get the extra lighting to work. Wire the accessory lighting right to the battery, with a fuse, and a relay controlled by the stock lighting circuit. Canbus can be tricky. I have been doing my own wiring and electrical troubleshooting for ever and Canbus kicked my but the first time I ran into it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

DanThe Man

Yeah I kind of thought it was something like that. Gonna head over there Wednesday and do it over. Removing his little mirrors, with the built in sequential signals, and leaving the new signals. I think that will do the trick.