March 28, 2024, 04:53:06 AM

News:

17 Ultra limited radio interfence

Started by Ultrakid8, October 21, 2018, 04:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrakid8

While riding my 2017 Ultra Limited the radio is crackling. If I engage my clutch all the way the radio clears up. Let it go and crackles again. When I start the bike and idle in neutral no crackling. The crazy part is no consistency. The radio might be clear for 5 minutes or an hour before it starts doing this again. Cannot figure out how the hydraulic clutch can be affecting the sound system.

Hossamania

It sounds like a possible grounding or dirty connector on issue. Check your grounds, all your connectors, and the antenna for loose or dirty connections. Does it stop with just a slight pull on the clutch handle, or even just touching it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ultrakid8

It stops only when the clutch is fully engaged or idling in neutral with clutch not engaged.

Hossamania

At this point, my advice is limited to the suggestions above. Any wiring, connectors, grounds, antenna, related to the radio and clutch handle. Maybe not related to the radio as well.
Check for loose battery cables, loose grounds. Start with simple checks before going for more expensive options.
Hopefully a couple of the smart audio guys here will chime in sometime soon.

PoorUB

Strange, I can't see what a hydraulic clutch would have to do with radio interference! :idunno:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

Quote from: PoorUB on October 22, 2018, 07:26:43 PM
Strange, I can't see what a hydraulic clutch would have to do with radio interference! :idunno:

Changes the CAN bus signal for one thing.

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on October 22, 2018, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on October 22, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

Changes the CAN bus signal for one thing.

Wouldn't that change with just a little movement on the lever, rather than full engagement?

Ultrakid8

Update! The dealer changed out the module in the clutch lever assembly. Also did an update on the radio. It seemed to work. Service writer also said another bike with the same issue came in recently. After several visits it turned out that the abs system was causing the issue.
Too many electronics are linked together and one thing going bad can cause different issues.