March 28, 2024, 10:25:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sealed Wheel Bearing Puller

Started by scootertrash1, March 13, 2019, 03:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

Bill

PM info =>  https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=77108.0

the new 9276B Non ABS bearing has metal grease seals on both sides AND only the outer race turns, the seals stay stationary, which is NOT how a bearing should work

I'd not be putting one in my bike   :crook:

This more to my liking

note what they say it replaces   :SM:

scootertrash1

When did HD start with the 25mm axles? Would it had been with the 2007's?

calif phil

I see so many wheels with bad 25mm bearings.  Almost never any 1" bearings failing. 

road-dawgs1

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 14, 2019, 04:12:10 PM
When did HD start with the 25mm axles? Would it had been with the 2007's?

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

billbuilds

FSG,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Bill

klammer76

Quote from: calif phil on March 14, 2019, 04:18:33 PM
I see so many wheels with bad 25mm bearings.  Almost never any 1" bearings failing.
I read about it all the time. So, why did they switch in the first place and why don't they go back to 1"? Is it something to do with ABS?

PoorUB

My guess is the 25mm is a standard bearing, where the 1" was not, not that it ever seemed to make a difference to Harley!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

sfmichael

Around 20-25K in my experience you had better start looking pretty closely at them

Pressure washer from an inexperienced detail guy knocked them out in my Deuce at about 6K miles

I scrutinize them closely at every tire change
Colorado Springs, CO.

scootertrash1

Thanks for ALL the responses. I've come to expect over the years on HTT.

Hossamania

I have 35,000 miles on the Ultra, getting new tires this month, I will definitely have them check the bearings and maybe just have new ones put in for peace of mind.
The weird thing is, with the '01 RoadKing, I can't remember ever changing bearings in over 100,000 miles, and I make sure they are checked every tire change.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

scootertrash1

Ordered a Pit Posse bearing puller/installer tool from Amazon. Comes with hardware enough for 3 HD bearing sizes as advertised. I received Saturday. I pulled the wheels off 2010 Ultra yesterday and removed bearings. The remaining 3 intact bearing units are garbage. There was going to be more problems soon!

scootertrash1

This afternoon I put most of the old ball bearings back in the race. I notched, with Dremel, a slot in the race big enough to fit the balls through with tweezers. I already had the inner race fitted to the remover device. Once I dropped a ball in through the slot, I simply rotated the inner race and it walked the balls on around the race so I could space (sort of) evenly :smiled:. I did start with 3 balls. Didn't get all the balls back in, but what I had was enough to walk the old race out pretty easy. It was a good tip and glad I tried it!

doctorevil

klammer76

Quote from: scootertrash1 on March 19, 2019, 11:54:52 AM
This afternoon I put most of the old ball bearings back in the race. I notched, with Dremel, a slot in the race big enough to fit the balls through with tweezers. I already had the inner race fitted to the remover device. Once I dropped a ball in through the slot, I simply rotated the inner race and it walked the balls on around the race so I could space (sort of) evenly :smiled:. I did start with 3 balls. Didn't get all the balls back in, but what I had was enough to walk the old race out pretty easy. It was a good tip and glad I tried it!
Nice job, glad it all worked out for you. Any pictures?

barny7655

FSG [ AND only the outer race turns, the seals stay stationary, which is NOT how a bearing should work, ] please expain in more detail ,or am i missing some thing , in any bearing application either the outer race or inner race turns, as to which one is  held,havent seen any having both turning , would cause heat of the balls or rollers trying to turn at different speeds, the balls or roller bearings rotate on both surfaces, dust seals help with moisture , dirt , grease seepage, some rubber some steel seals depending on where its used, the speed details as to diameter of the inner contact of race to outer race by the rotating balls or rollers  plus the shared weight ,will have the effect on wear and life span of the bearing ,always bye the best makers, for the right job, mainly weight and speed and drag  weight as in cams,shared bearings like two single wheel bearings in harley wheels have only single row  balls, times two giving the double row bearing name , great post,
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Beave

The 1" bearings (#9247) use double seals on each side, retaining lube better.  Mine still had some lube at 200k when I replaced them as they were feeling slightly rough.
With speed comes stability.

FSG

Quote from: barny7655 on March 20, 2019, 04:14:59 PM
FSG ........

snipped from the Timken Bible

shields n seals are fixed to the outer ring and offer contact OR non contact to the inner ring

IF fixed to the inner ring THEN at operating temperature and rotational speed THE lubricant will under centrifugal force want to be forced passed the shield/seal

Maybe we should just use SKF Bearings with Solid Oil   :SM:

NOTE: below is a 6MB file

https://www.skf.com/binary/101-251466/SKF-bearings-with-Solid-Oil---15894-EN.pdf

Yellow09SERG

All kinds of useful information in the SKF bible. Fits and the IRC stuff is real useful as well as their catalog on mounting and dismounting of bearings.

barny7655

in the ABS bearing  system where is the pickup on,or in  the bearing , may be hence the outer dust seal rotating with the pickup , ? any pics of it
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

scootertrash1

Bearings live one of heck of a life. Looking at the Timken PDF file shows that if I want to ride my scoot -50 C I can or if it is 120 C I can though I don't believe I'll be out that cold. I've got 36K miles on my 2003 Fatboy. Is it worth while to change them. Not so much as the mileage but age of the bearing lubricant being 16 years old? Sometimes I run 95 mph + on I-95 to keep up with traffic.

egstandard

I have the 1 inch bearings on my 04. It has 161,000 miles on it. It's on it's 5th set of bearings. None of them ever went bad. I changed for piece of mind. You should also.

scootertrash1

I agree and think it prudent to do so. Last tire change, they seemed fine but they are 16 years old. 36K on the clock.