March 28, 2024, 09:41:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

aim-tamachi SLAVE CYLINDER

Started by FSG, September 27, 2018, 11:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

for the M8 but ........

what will it do for the Trannie to Primary Oil Transfer ??????????????????

https://aim-tamachi.com/collections/light-force-slave-cylinder

Nastytls

Never really thought the stock pull was stiff, so 40% less would make it feel like you're pulling on air.

turboprop

That 40% reduction in lever pull comes with a reduction in plate travel as well. No free lunch. I wonder if this affects plate disengagement enough to make finding neutral more difficult.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

BigT

September 27, 2018, 12:50:10 PM #3 Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:15:43 PM by FSG
Quote from: turboprop on September 27, 2018, 12:36:08 PM
That 40% reduction in lever pull comes with a reduction in plate travel as well. No free lunch. I wonder if this affects plate disengagement enough to make finding neutral more difficult.

Where did you see anything on reduction of plate travel?

PoorUB

Quote from: BigT on September 27, 2018, 12:50:10 PM

There is no free lunch in hydraulics. If you reduce force by 40% it has to be with a larger slave piston. Larger piston, less travel.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

September 27, 2018, 02:30:43 PM #5 Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:16:22 PM by FSG

Ok, how do you think the reduced lever pull was realized while maintaining the same plate travel?

calif phil

There is a huge need for this product.  I think they will sell good. 

BigT

September 27, 2018, 04:43:40 PM #7 Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:16:45 PM by FSG
Quote from: turboprop on September 27, 2018, 02:30:43 PM

Ok, how do you think the reduced lever pull was realized while maintaining the same plate travel?

Just asking. Im not a hydraulic expert.

richbiker

Talked to Aim and they know nothing about the fluid transfer but say it will also help with the late engagement that some complain about.
Spence
If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room!!

Don D

Someone needs to ask about reduced throw. What turboprop suggests is valid and a concern

rbabos

No need to ask. It's common sense. At any time a certain size master piston moves x amount of travel, the slave will reduce in travel if the od is increased. It will also develop more force within that travel, showing up as a reduced force needed at the master piston. You can't have both with hydraulics.
Ron

FSG

What is the throw on a M8 to start with?

turboprop

Quote from: rbabos on September 29, 2018, 09:44:16 AM
No need to ask. It's common sense. At any time a certain size master piston moves x amount of travel, the slave will reduce in travel if the od is increased. It will also develop more force within that travel, showing up as a reduced force needed at the master piston. You can't have both with hydraulics.
Ron

Same thing applies to cable actuation. All those easy-pull things reduce lever effort by my increasing the Ma, resulting in reduced movement at the clutch hat. Again, no free munch.

kd

Quote from: FSG on September 29, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
What is the throw on a M8 to start with?

This may be the equalizer.  If the travel is long enough there may be room for a reduction. 

Anything around that .070 is usually golden. I have run about +.055ish by using a fine focused adjustment.
KD

PFWiz

The clutch engagement on my bike is very short. From clutch fully engaged to fully disengaged is only about .75" and it is all at the end (open) side. This makes it very hard for me smoothly use the clutch especially when the bike is cold.
I am planning to install one of these this winter....

Prostock

Correct me if I am wrong.  It appears that it does not use the stock cover :scratch:

hogsty

Website says
QuoteInstalls behind the factory transmission end cover.

joe_lyons

Another option for earlier clutch engagement is to run the new 2019 dampner spring seat that is 2mm compared to the 1.6mm of the previous. Pn is 37000295.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

jmbittner

For those that are interested in some quantitative info, I performed some before and after
measurements. Using a hunting scale, it took 14 lbs of force, in stock form, to pull the end
of the lever to the handlebar. With The AIM cylinder it only took 8 lbs of force.

I started the bike up and the clutch does disengage fully and neutral can be found easily.

As for the engagement point, the stock setup started engaging with the lever 2.25 inches from
the handlebar. With the AIM cylinder the engagement point was 1 inch from the handlebar.
This made it a lot more comfortable having all fingers wrapped around the lever. It resembled
the engagement point of the old cable clutch setups. It also seemed to engage a lot more
gradual.

After going for a short test ride today, all I can say is WOW! This is a triple win.
Not only is the clever force really nice and easy, the friction zone is wider
making it a lot easier to modulate, and also the clunking feedback in the lever
from the transmission is essentially gone during a shift. ​​​​​​​​​​​​

BigT

Do you happen to work for Aim-Tamachi?

jmbittner

Quote from: BigT on November 07, 2018, 06:12:36 PM
Do you happen to work for Aim-Tamachi?

Not a chance, I'm retired.

But I've been disappointed by the clutch on my 2017 Limited to the point where I've been wanting
to retrofit it to a cable setup. Now I will be able to live with it having the AIM.

CarlosGGodfrog

I wonder if the aim-tamachi SLAVE CYLINDER could be retrofitted to an earlier TC transmission side cover.

50Panhead

Quote from: PoorUB on September 27, 2018, 01:51:04 PM

There is no free lunch in hydraulics. If you reduce force by 40% it has to be with a larger slave piston. Larger piston, less travel.

Correct... and they state just that in other words. This will also bring your clutch engagement point closer to the grip, giving you easier clutch modulation and better engagement Clutch disengagement will change. Possibly to the point where it may "Clunk" harder when start up and drop it into gear.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

hogsty

If the plates separate enough to not cause any drag, the closer disengagement and wider friction zone sounds like it's worth the time and money. 

cbumdumb

My 19 starts engaging about a half inch away from grip probally needs adjustment