March 28, 2024, 05:27:55 AM

News:

81 FLH Forward Controls

Started by 50Panhead, January 04, 2019, 07:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

50Panhead

I have a customer who wants forward controls put on his 1981 FLH.
Do you guys have any recommendations?
Old floorboards mounts on the front get cut off?
Shiftier modifications?
Rear Brake Modifications?

Thanks
What Do You Care What Other People Think

david lee

why change it ? for me its stock

billbuilds

January 05, 2019, 04:15:39 AM #2 Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:25:44 AM by billbuilds
     If your customer wants forward controls on his FLH then I'd oblige him and not try to talk him into keeping what he doesn't want. It's his bike, it's his money, it's his choice so who the bleep is anybody to tell him otherwise? If you want to get an idea of what's out there simply go on to eBay and search "Shovelhead forward controls".
     I like the concept of having the rear brake's master cylinder mounted on the forward control. It was mounted there stock-wise" so you might well be able to use the stock brake line. Shifter side should be pretty straightforward, some kits come with a new shifter rod. I bought a CCI kit years ago that I used on my 83 FLHS for a while; it came with a new rear master cylinder. The FXWG controls look and work good, Here's a pic of the brake side of what I was running. I had changed out the CCI MC for a GMA one. No need to lop off the stock floorboard mount bracket on the right side of the frame. HTH, Bill

dirtymike

Do the early soft tails forward controls fit the 81.

76shuvlinoff

His bike his money. I've done a lot of things to my 76, I just try not to burn any bridges.  There are certainly bolt on forward controls out there for the 4 speed frame.  Aren't the floorboard setups "forward" controls?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

I prefer the master cylinder up front to keep it from getting cooked by the exhaust.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on January 05, 2019, 08:07:37 AM
His bike his money. I've done a lot of things to my 76, I just try not to burn any bridges.  There are certainly bolt on forward controls out there for the 4 speed frame.  Aren't the floorboard setups "forward" controls?
correct

david lee

maybe i should have said whats the advantage ? or just a style thing

50Panhead

Quote from: billbuilds on January 05, 2019, 04:15:39 AM
     If your customer wants forward controls on his FLH then I'd oblige him and not try to talk him into keeping what he doesn't want. It's his bike, it's his money, it's his choice so who the bleep is anybody to tell him otherwise? If you want to get an idea of what's out there simply go on to eBay and search "Shovelhead forward controls".
     I like the concept of having the rear brake's master cylinder mounted on the forward control. It was mounted there stock-wise" so you might well be able to use the stock brake line. Shifter side should be pretty straightforward, some kits come with a new shifter rod. I bought a CCI kit years ago that I used on my 83 FLHS for a while; it came with a new rear master cylinder. The FXWG controls look and work good, Here's a pic of the brake side of what I was running. I had changed out the CCI MC for a GMA one. No need to lop off the stock floorboard mount bracket on the right side of the frame. HTH, Bill

That looks good. Thanks

hbkeith

whatever you do , do not cut any tabs off the frame  :slap:

HotRodShovel

Agree with Keith. Dont cut off any tabs.  Fab Kevin has steel adapters that mount to the frame tabs and allow any year forward controls to be mounted on FLH.  Check out his website.  I used them on my 81.   Mounted Softail style/configured controls without any problems.   So find a set of controls that you like then get the proper adapter plates and you are good to go.  No alteration to the frame are necessary.  Fab Kevin makes some great stuff.  Small business, American..and his customer service is great.  He will personally answer your questions via phone or email promptly.  A hard working good man.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

fbn ent

Don't cut off the tab on the outer primary please!! I put floorboards on my '80 FXEF and that was the only thing I needed to change. Man I miss that bike!  :doh:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

dirtymike

again, Do the early soft tails forward controls fit the 81.

50Panhead

I'm not sure we are all on the same page here.   See attached photo. The part I'm concerned about is the bent piece of pipe that is welded to the frame that supports the front on the floor boards. [attach=0]

50Panhead

January 07, 2019, 04:51:43 PM #14 Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:03:44 PM by FSG
Another photo

[attach=0,msg1275710]

Julio

PoorUB

Quote from: david lee on January 05, 2019, 03:06:01 PM
maybe i should have said whats the advantage ? or just a style thing

Don't think about it so hard. It is a blonde, brunette or redhead kind of thing. Some guys just like something else.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fbn ent

I would be gentle when removing the front mount and keep it around for a restoration...

50Panhead

Ohio HD

Appears to be an FLT. FLH was a solid mount motor and four speed transmission. That's a five speed?

rageglide

Rubber mount... going to be zero easy options, likely require full custom.

Jaybrake had a nice set of forwards that would probably work, certainly worked on early 90's rubber mounts.  But I think they're no longer making them.

fbn ent

Nice catch guys......I must be getting slow in my olde age. :crook:

rageglide

Shows as not available... But this is the kit I was thinking about   https://www.jpcycles.com/product/540-0295/jaybrake-classic-solid-polished-forward-control   

Delete post if not ok to post that link

50Panhead

January 08, 2019, 08:14:18 AM #23 Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:06:18 AM by 50Panhead
This bike is far from stock.   I'm thinking if the owner pressures me I'll have to give some WAG price and may cut the old mounts off the frame and fab up new mounting's and weld them on the frame to use more modern forward controls that can be picked up at most swap meets.  Either rate its not going to be cheap. I think its kind of crazy to dump a lot of high end custom stuff on a bike that is almost rat.

fbn ent

I agree but the customer is always right (sometimes). This is going to take a bit of fabbing for sure...

50Panhead

Quote from: fbn ent on January 08, 2019, 08:54:01 AM
I agree but the customer is always right (sometimes). This is going to take a bit of fabbing for sure...

Sometimes  but.  I did have a customer who had inherited his dad's knuckle head.  He brought it to me to get running. He wanted to restore it. Although it was not in original condition I talked him out of doing it. I told him after all it was his Dad's bike. If he did anything to it, It would not be his" Dad's bike"  ever again.

fbn ent

bobrk1

Just  try and  talk  him  into  not  cutting  off  the  mounts , down  the  road  he  will  be  sorry , tell  him  to  tie  one  of  those  little  bells  to  the  mount  lo

david lee

the jp cycle setup looks good and a easy setup but i like things original

rageglide

If you can get the JayBrake set up I think it will allow you to keep that welded on leg, which is where you will mount the left peg... I think, because I have not done this.  Newer bikes have the forward board mount bolted on.   

hbkeith

Like said , if you cut mounts ,do it so can be reattached , I don't see it as being that big of deal , get set off forwards off ebay for FXR ( tons of them cheap )and do a little fabbing