March 28, 2024, 05:00:49 PM

News:

Do all Shovelheads shake and vibrate?

Started by Die Hard, February 01, 2019, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Die Hard

I have had a Panhead, several Evolution bikes and now a Twin Cam. Never owned a Shovelhead, but rode a few. Every Shovelhead I rode had significant vibration, especially in the upper RPMs. When I asked the owners about that , they just shrugged. So, is there such a thing as a smooth riding Shovelhead?
Life is too short to drink cheap whiskey.

JW113

I think the FXR and FLT models are pretty smooth.
:SM:

My '77 FLH is not bad, definitely gets a little viby north of 4000rpms, but it ain't got squat for power up there anyway so who cares? FWIW, this shovel is a ton smother than the '92 Evo softail I have, at least before I pulled the flywheels out and sent off to get balanced. Can't wait to see (feel?) the results.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Reddog74usa

They all have their own personality. Some are very smooth and some will shake yer fillings out and then most are somewhere in between. Get it balanced. Best bang for the buck on an old rigid mounted machine.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

a_disalvo

If the motors are built, there are different ratio's used for balancing for different types of riding. Also, since they are prone to vibration, owners have to stay on top of checking upper and lower motor mount tightness as well as primary chain adjustment. My built 98" shovel gets as smooth as glass above 3,500 RPM. Frank

Hossamania

Do all shovelheads shake and vibrate?
Yes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

76shuvlinoff

My factory motor did/does terribly but it's been sitting on a milk crate since 2004. The S&S longblock I installed back then isn't much of a shaker.    However, I also ditched the compensator, the factory clutch assembly, and the rotted out original laced wheels. Anything that spins can contribute to vibration.  I can use my mirrors at any reasonable speed.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dusty1

:koolaid:  shake rattle and roll. They will shake themselves to pieces. Some things stay tight and some dont (even with loctite). If you ride a lot, you learn what to check on. I had a friend that was complaining about vibration and i found all three motor mounts loose! In fact,one bolt fell off somewhere.

fbn ent

When I went from Shovel (s) to my TC I found out those mirrors on the handlebars can be used to see what is behind you when riding  :SM:. My '84 still shakes pretty good up high even after balancing and Balance Masters (Remember them?).
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta