April 24, 2024, 09:21:51 PM

News:

Cone shovel battery kicker

Started by Timber0472, February 27, 2019, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timber0472

Hey guys I was looking for a small battery that wouldn't break the bank so I bought a YB10L-A2 12V 10AH sealed battery. I'm running kick only (points) and headlight/taillight only. Would this battery be ok? Seems really small.

Thanks.

Burnout

Not going to get you very far if the alternator quits, but it will work.

Make sure you can run without the lights on (not legal in some states) but a ticket is/may be cheaper than a tow.

Some bikes have the lights jumpered to run mode so you cant turn them off.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Timber0472

Quote from: Burnout on February 27, 2019, 06:43:01 PM
Not going to get you very far if the alternator quits, but it will work.

Make sure you can run without the lights on (not legal in some states) but a ticket is/may be cheaper than a tow.

Some bikes have the lights jumpered to run mode so you cant turn them off.
Thanks. I figure if the alternator goes it would get me at some point regardless. I run the running lights always. Thanks again.

Hossamania

A friend of mine runs a 6 volt lantern battery (if anybody remembers those) on his '47 Indian, generator, no alternator.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

DresserDan

I ve seen a points bike no charge, run all day long with a good battery & charge. Ive used the old FX kick only style and just make sure no lights hooked up. Disconnect the brake light and go several hundred miles.

guppymech

Mid 80's H-Ds ignition switches had a white jumper wire looped between two terminals that gave "lights on" in all key positions. If you cut that loop of wire the first key position gave power to everything except lights, it's nice to have ignition power without lights-on on a kick only bike.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

dusty1

Not sure about battery nomenclature. Is that a typical FX/softail battery? If so, it's plenty fine. I ran 230 miles home on highway with no lights on with a crapped out charging system. Nice to keep battery strong when kicking bike too with lights off...and you can escape/evade easier with ignition on with no lights (especially brake).  :chop:

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: guppymech on February 28, 2019, 04:29:19 PM
Mid 80's H-Ds ignition switches had a white jumper wire looped between two terminals that gave "lights on" in all key positions. If you cut that loop of wire the first key position gave power to everything except lights, it's nice to have ignition power without lights-on on a kick only bike.

When I replaced the dash switch on my 76 it had that jumper, I removed it. Even with electric start I don't want the lights on when cranking the 93 over.   Most times I forget to turn them on until several miles down the road.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway