March 28, 2024, 10:26:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Upgrading from the old sealed beam headlight

Started by osucowboys83, February 28, 2019, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

osucowboys83

Been looking around. Has anyone upgraded their old 7" sealed beam headlight to something more modern. I have a 1973 FLH with the 7" headlight nacelle. I'd like to run something brighter since I'm also upgrading my charging system.

Burnout

A Daylighter or equivalent would be my choice.

Make sure it's DOT approved as there is some crap out there.

Properly done the scattered light is reflected where you need it not lighting the trees or mist in the air or in oncoming drivers eyes.

Bonus is that LED will make more light and not add load to charging system. (read, free up power to be used for things like heated gloves or a vest)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

carioux2008

Ive been curious about the same thing for my 84. Its got the 5" light though. I think to run a daylighter, or the chinese amazon/ebay equivelant, you will need to get an adapter kit to extend the bucket as the LED bulbs are deeper than the sealed beam units, due to the additional space taken up by the heat sink.

Even compared to my 14 sportster's sealed beam, the beam on the 84 low rider was pathetic.  Let us know what you do!

Burnout

An H4 LED bulb is not DOT approved, so don't go that direction unless it is your intention to blind oncoming drivers.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

A modern (H4?) bulb and housing is so much brighter than the old sealed beam you'll probably be impressed. I changed mine out on my 76 FLH years ago. Love it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

nosjunkie

LIVE FREE OR DIE..