March 28, 2024, 02:10:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pan revival

Started by Snowyone, January 27, 2017, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowyone

January 27, 2017, 06:54:07 PM Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:20:17 PM by FSG
Hope the picture turns out.  Just went and retrieved my 53 Pan motor and transmission and getting ready for the install.  Highway Choppers out of Glendale, Az. were great to work with.  They repaired my transmission case that I thought was scrap and replaced worn parts.  They rebuilt my bottom end and after I finished the top they test run it on their stand.  Been torn down so long it's going to be a jigsaw puzzle to get it together right.  Chilly out so now's a good time to get-er-done.

[attach=0]

Hossamania

A classic look! Hope it goes together easy, looks like it will be a fun ride.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Another fine pic for the shop thread. Nice pan too. :wink:
KD

Wicked

Well..... I'm droolin'!!     Probably not needed, but good luck with the rest!!

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Harpo

Remind me, was '53 the first year you could get foot shift?  My first HD was a '53.  Bought it in '73 for $600.  I rode it on leave for the next 30 days or so then put it in the barn.  Now a days you can't buy the gas tank emblems for $600.  Looks like yours is going to be pretty nice.

Snowyone

From my reading and asking questions the 53 was the first year for the foot shift option.  So happens mine is the foot shift though was looking for a tank shift when I was shopping.  Finding one (a 53) is like finding hens teeth so jumped on this one when I found it on flea-bay.  Had it's problems but hopefully will get them all sorted out and with a fresh drive train am well on my way. :smiled:

borno

BBQBIKER

BBQBIKER sends

ElPaso 52

Quote from: Snowyone on February 01, 2017, 12:03:56 PM
From my reading and asking questions the 53 was the first year for the foot shift option.  So happens mine is the foot shift though was looking for a tank shift when I was shopping.  Finding one (a 53) is like finding hens teeth so jumped on this one when I found it on flea-bay.  Had it's problems but hopefully will get them all sorted out and with a fresh drive train am well on my way. :smiled:
[/quote

52 was the first year for foot shift.
Ron
56FL

92flhtcu

if ya feel like NOT putting her together, I'll take it off your hands!!!
Need a bigger garage

Snowyone

Well I had to take the bike all apart to get the oil tank out so progress is slow.  Had a catastrophic engine failure so needed to really flush the oil tank out and glad I took the time.  Lots of shavings to be found. While shaking the tank around full of 3/8's nuts I managed to drop it.  Found half the tank had a bondo fix and it was ugly.  Also found two leaks that got fixed.  Well if found it's pretty tough to knock out dents in an oil tank so have tried my hand at bondo.  I about had a heart attack when I picked up some paint to refinish.  Should have taken the rattle can route but ended up with $150 for paint using expoxy primer and I think they said acrylic for the finish coat.  Hopefully tomorrow I will test my painting skills.  Been a learning curve but alls good.

wmnmy

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

BBQBIKER

Is that color the factory Skyway Blue?
BBQBIKER sends

Snowyone

Was told it was a factory color but that's all I know.  It is very close if not.  Been making some progress.  When you take something apart 10 years ago it's a puzzle getting it back together right.  I took pictures when did it but where they ended up is a total mystery. Had the rear tire on and off three times; and the tranny bolted and unbolted four. Made a trip to town for new bolts for the tranny and engine hold downs after deciding to not use the old ones.  DingDing after I got it all together remembered I had bought stock appearing bolt kits from Colony so off they came again.  Now I get to take the bolts out of the engine because the rear head is hitting the frame so need a bit of grinding on the D-ring to clear.  And yes I donated a bit of blood today installing the engine.  These engines get heavier as I get older.

Snowyone

March 30, 2017, 07:37:09 PM #16 Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:42:01 PM by Snowyone
The other side sense my computer skills are pretty limited.  Took me three days to get the oil tank fixed and painted.  Plumb full of fillings and had two leaks and a bunch of bondo.  I'm not a body man or painter and thought I had a good job done till the topcoat.  Full of pinholes and when I went to the paint store it was well you need to put a sealer over the bondo.  Thanks guys...now have a two hundred dollar paint job that looks crappy but I've got to move on.

JamLazyAss

Quote from: Snowyone on February 01, 2017, 12:03:56 PM

I have a pristine set of 51 to 53 hand shift tanks, complete with the original stainless steel badges. Even has the fuel shutoff assembly.
I might consider selling them for the right price.
I'll post a couple of pictures if you are interested.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Snowyone

Would appreciate the pics, thanks

moose

color looks like azure blue    thats what I just painted all my tins    if I could only get the ambition to get the damn thing together
Moose aka Glenn-

Snowyone

Getting things together.  Had to pull the engine for some clearance issues but got it shimmed and bolted down.  Generator shimmed and bolted in.  Waiting on a clutch hub right now so I can finish the primary side.  Last guy that put it together did it with a 10 pound hammer.  Backside of the hub was ugly and the threaded studs were replaced but what an ugly peen job.  Wrestling the exhaust together.  Kinda poor fitting so using lots of high heat silicone to hopefully seal it.  Ordered the right bolts for the controls on both sides which makes me feel good.  Suppose to rain tomorrow so should be able to get some more done.

Deye76

:up: Looking great. Your getting close to the finish line.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP