March 29, 2024, 01:18:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil Pump Question / Advice

Started by AndyH, May 25, 2017, 06:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyH

May 25, 2017, 06:48:00 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:05:27 PM by AndyH
I have a great running 1953 Panhead chopper.   

Couple of weeks ago, I decided to change the oil lines to braided steel.  So, I drained the oil, pulled the oil lines and fittings off the oil tank and oil pump and removed the tank from the frame. 

I cut the oil line connectors off the tank and welded in some new connectors that allowed me to use the Earls 6AN fittings and braided steel hoses for a nice clean look.

I got everything put back together and filled the tank with oil.  Kick started it and it fired right up first kick as always.  The oil pressure gauge stayed at 60 psi.   Took it down the street and back (about 1/4 mile round trip).

As I pulled in the driveway, oil began pouring out of the crank case vent tube at the bottom of the engine.

I shut it down and put it in the garage.

It's got an S&S oil pump.  What appears to be happening is that the oil is flowing into the engine from the oil tank, but the pump is not pumping it back up into the oil tank from the engine.  So the sump is filling up with oil and has no place to go but out the crankcase vent tube.

It's similar to what happens when you don't run your bike for a couple of weeks and then when you start it up it pukes out a bunch of oil that built up in the sump.  Except my situation is worse.

I'm thinking that since the bikes been sitting without any oil for a couple of weeks, while I've been working on the oil tank, that all the oil ran out of the oil pump.

I've never installed a new oil pump.  But is there something I can do to get the oil pump to start working again? I mean, do you need to prime it or something? 

And if so, how do I do it?

Thanks for any help offered.

Ohio HD

First, make sure you have oil in the oil bag, then remove the return line to the tank, and have someone hold it over a bucket. Start the bike, if there is no oil coming out, you have a crimped hose, assuming the only change at the time of the new hoses, was the hoses. Try a new length of hose off the motor to the bucket. Still nothing, the pump isn't pulling the oil from the sump. So then, maybe a sheared keyway in the oil pump. But further disassembly will be needed once you verify you don't have a crimped hose.

AndyH

Thanks for your help.

The line that comes out of the bottom rear of the oil tank runs into the bottom of the oil pump.

Then, there are the two lines that come off the top of the oil tank.  They are situated next to each other.  One runs into the engine and the other runs to the oil pump.

Which line is the return to the tank?  Is it the one that runs from the oil pump to the top of the oil tank?

Ohio HD

The line from the pump to the tank top is the return line.

AndyH

Thank you, again, for your help and sharing your expertise.  I appreciate it.

AndyH

So what is the purpose of the third line that runs between the engine case and the oil bag?  Seems like that would function as a crank case vent line.

And, if I were to install an oil filter, would it be connected in between the return line from the pump to the oil bag?

Ohio HD

Filter will go in the return circuit.