March 29, 2024, 05:05:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Kicker Cover Gasket Help

Started by AndyH, July 03, 2017, 07:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyH

I'm changing out the kicker cover on my tranny.  I purchased a James Gasket replacement. One side has a raised reddish bead and the other side is gasket paper only. 

Which side does the raised reddish bead on the gasket go against.

Also, I would really appreciate any advice on whether to use gasket seal.  And if so, what is brand/type recommended and the recommended procedure for installation.

Thank you very much.

Ohio HD

The beaded seal, you can place outward, it honestly doesn't matter. The other side, maybe use some Form A Gasket, you can find that at any auto parts store.

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-2-sealant/

AndyH

96flhpi

My shovel tranny kicker side cover is not symmetrical, assume its the same on yours.  Where the middle pinches in - under the clutch release arm - is different shape than its mirror.  Line up gasket both ways - bead in and bead out, and you'll see it only lines up right one way.

Ohio HD

Your right, they do go on one way. But I think the bead is still outward if I remember correctly.

96flhpi

I just redid my trans last month and damned if I could remember but I think you're right about bead out

AndyH

Quote from: 96flhpi on July 04, 2017, 10:45:57 AM
My shovel tranny kicker side cover is not symmetrical, assume its the same on yours.  Where the middle pinches in - under the clutch release arm - is different shape than its mirror.  Line up gasket both ways - bead in and bead out, and you'll see it only lines up right one way.

Thank you.  I see what you mean about where, "the middle pinches in - under the clutch release arm." 

My tranny case is a revtech 4 speed and I'm swapping the kicker cover out for a Sifton finned cover.  For the gasket to line up correctly the bead faces toward the transmission case.

Ohio HD

Quote from: AndyH on July 09, 2017, 12:09:02 PM
Quote from: 96flhpi on July 04, 2017, 10:45:57 AM

Thank you.  I see what you mean about where, "the middle pinches in - under the clutch release arm." 

My tranny case is a revtech 4 speed and I'm swapping the kicker cover out for a Sifton finned cover.  For the gasket to line up correctly the bead faces toward the transmission case.

Well, there goes my good memory....