April 24, 2024, 07:56:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2016 FLHX turbo build

Started by dheath9994, September 14, 2019, 02:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

As my bike sits it has the following

110" fuel moto extreme duty steel lined cylinders
CP forged pistons 10:1
Ported and polished heads and thottle body
Bottom end was trued, welded, pro plugged and stock rods were heat treated
Timken lower end conversion
Barnett clutch basket, HD spring with AIM VPC
Cycle rama 575 cam

Currently making 108HP and 128ft/lbs
How much boost would i need to bring the bike up to 150ish HP?
Any concerns with the added power? I feel the clutch and motor should handle it

rigidthumper

Can't say for turbo, but you could use a Pro Charger with an 8 pound pulley, new injectors, different cam, retune, and break 170- may need some port work to do more.
Attached are a couple examples.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dheath9994

Already purchased the turbo but looking to keep it mild i was thinking even 6-7psi and see what it puts out without changing cams . Didnt know if someone on here had experience with a similar set up

Hossamania

I thought that turbo engines need lower compression, not sure how much lower, but 10:1 seems high from what I remember. It's not something I work on, just that some random info sticks in my brain.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

dheath9994

Quote from: Hossamania on September 15, 2019, 09:57:35 AM
I thought that turbo engines need lower compression, not sure how much lower, but 10:1 seems high from what I remember. It's not something I work on, just that some random info sticks in my brain.

Id think thatd be the case for a high boost build but trask advertises you can put a their kit on a stock 103 high output which has 9.8:1 CR from the factory

Hossamania

Quote from: dheath9994 on September 15, 2019, 04:05:50 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on September 15, 2019, 09:57:35 AM

Id think thatd be the case for a high boost build but trask advertises you can put a their kit on a stock 103 high output which has 9.8:1 CR from the factory

Good to know.

rigidthumper

Dynamic compression ratio can get quite high.  At 10:1 static, with a 35° close cam, yields 9.4:1 corrected CR. That same  motor becomes a 13.86:1 dynamic CR motor with just 7 PSI boost.
Gonna need lots of fuel and very little timing to keep it together
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

dheath9994

Yea i spoke with dragos bike works and he told me the rings sold with the pistons on these 110 kits are very thin and dont hold up well to boost. Looks like i may have him bore my stock cylinders to 107 and get me some of his 9:1 pistons and his 570 blower cams

scott7d

If you're only looking for 150HP, is there a reason you went with a turbo rather than going for something like a high compression 124" build that could hit 150?

Not questioning the decision, just curious of the pros and cons for both scenarios. Was the turbo easier on the wallet rather than doing a different build?
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

dheath9994

Well i spent a few thousand on the lower end of the bike last year to handle big power so rather than boring the cases and doing that all over again i got an awsome deal on the turbo and have always been interested in them

Nastytls

Quote from: dheath9994 on September 17, 2019, 01:21:15 PM
Yea i spoke with dragos bike works and he told me the rings sold with the pistons on these 110 kits are very thin and dont hold up well to boost. Looks like i may have him bore my stock cylinders to 107 and get me some of his 9:1 pistons and his 570 blower cams

If you already have the 110 cylinders why not just get different pistons with better rings? Seems like it would be cheaper plus you get the benefit of 3 additional CI.

dheath9994

I spoke with Trask performance directly today they told me they have been putting their kits on bikes with fuel moto 110 big bore kits without any issues for a few years now. They also told me their engine kits they sell for their turbos comes 106" with 10.5:1 compression and their blower cam has specs very similar to Se255 cams. Said my cams and compression should not be an issue with only 8psi of boost.

Hossamania

Can I ride it when you're done?    :teeth: 

PoorUB

September 20, 2019, 04:11:11 PM #14 Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:16:08 PM by PoorUB
Quote from: Hossamania on September 19, 2019, 08:55:48 PM

Allowed to, or able to ride it?  :potstir: :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dheath9994

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on September 20, 2019, 04:11:11 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on September 19, 2019, 08:55:48 PM

Allowed to, or able to ride it?  :potstir: :hyst:

Start with, "Captain may I?" After that, my lack of ability may shine through. But I'm up for it!