March 28, 2024, 04:05:43 PM

News:

2003 Fat Boy Check Engine Light

Started by scootertrash1, April 16, 2019, 07:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

Some time ago, I used to leave my 2003 Fatty FI in Florida plugged into a Battery Tender. At one point, lightning or a power surge caused the Battery Tender to blow up. Parts all over the garage floor. I hadn't been around for 6 months so not sure exactly when it happened. Battery was completely dead. Wouldn't take a charge at all. Replaced battery. All is well, but I have a the "engine" light that comes on all the time. How to clear?

Scotty

Download this and read

https://app.box.com/s/behcx58ok756d4nq2jwi

Someone will chime in and tell you how to do it through the speedo but that did not happen until 2004 so this is how you do a 2003 down.

scootertrash1

Thanks. I'll go through the error checking. That 50 start cycles could be tedious!

scootertrash1

Thanks for the PDF! Great information that I'll keep! Here was goes so far. I already had a jumper made up, I am a former ET from the electric utility business. Jumped pins 1 & 2 on 91A. Flipped the main switch to "on". Nothing. After several minutes, I flipped the kill to run. Fuel pump did it's thing, hey, following the directions to the letter! I did get one flash. A pretty long one. Then it went out for a several minutes, then came on solid for over 5 minutes when I killed the main switch.
Since this all occurred, it's been several years when the Tender lunched it's self. The drill is: You get on the bike, turn main switch on, flip kill switch to run and wait for the light in the dash to go out. Start the bike, usually in about 1 to 2 minutes, the check engine light comes on. It really appears what I have done here, shorting the pins together, it does the same thing, only I am not starting the engine.

Scotty

Sounds like something may be damaged but bike still runs.
Do you know anyone with a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner or a TTS as you can use them to also view and clear codes.

scootertrash1

I did in Illinois but moved to Florida several years ago. I don't know of anyone here. Scoot runs great!

scootertrash1

Other than popping $3500 for a used Scanalyzer are there any other devices out there that can be had reasonably?

rigidthumper

Look at the Twin Scan units from Daytone Twin Tech.  Part number 15202, found here: http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan2.html
Available from most of all our supporting vendors, found 1/2 down the page here: http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?action=collapse;c=12;sa=expand;db89b92=838545c63becec4d7d6178fae05fb0cb#c12
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Scotty

Or buy a used TTS here is one for $20 in Florida
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MasterTune-EFI-Tuning-Kit-for-01-Up-Delphi-Fuel-Injected-HD-Models-2000000/113309463228?hash=item1a61c532bc%3Ag%3AntwAAOSw21Rbw8Qm&LH_ItemCondition=4

And then buy the cables

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TTS-MasterTune-J1850-4-Pin-Cable-Kit-2000014-Harley-Davidson/332697104678?epid=171285260&hash=item4d764af126:g:asAAAOSwpLdcT3dO&frcectupt=true

scootertrash1

scootertrash1

OK. Got connected with Master Tune. Errors noted are P0373, Intermittent Crank Sensor, P0605 Carb Memory Error (on an EFI!), P01353 Front cylinder no combustion, P01356 Rear cylinder no combustion, P01357 Front cylinder intermittent combustion and P01358 Rear cylinder intermittent combustion. Cleared the errors. Check engine light stayed off for about 3 miles and came back on. Taking the seat back off to plug in again. Honest, this scoot runs like the preverbal "striped ape"! 

koko3052

Quote from: scootertrash1 on May 09, 2019, 11:59:29 AM
OK. Got connected with Master Tune. Errors noted are P0373, Intermittent Crank Sensor, P0605 Carb Memory Error (on an EFI!), P01353 Front cylinder no combustion, P01356 Rear cylinder no combustion, P01357 Front cylinder intermittent combustion and P01358 Rear cylinder intermittent combustion. Cleared the errors. Check engine light stayed off for about 3 miles and came back on. Taking the seat back off to plug in again. Honest, this scoot runs like the preverbal "striped ape"!

Up here we use the term "raped ape"....but glad that it runs good. Well it does give you something to do when you get bored. :emsad:

scootertrash1

I see! Never want to be bored. Got the seat pulled back off and lap topped in to see Code P0605 again. I cleared it, again. It idled for about 5 minutes and the check engine light did not come back on. I'll take it for a putt, but I have to think it'll come back on. I Googled the error and see "Carb Memory error". Again this scoot is EFI. Some other online definitions for the P0605 are ROM errors. Though at one time, I was a bench tech at a meter lab for gas/electric utility company I have not been in automotive ECM. Not sure where to go next. Is the brain fried? I can't do Control, Alt and Delete!

Scotty

DTC P0605 Test
1. Power down the vehicle.
2. Clear codes using Scanalyzer.
3. Attempt to reprogram ECM using correct calibration.
4. Restart vehicle. If code reappears, replace ECM.

P0605 ECM flash error

Might just be a bad flash............

scootertrash1

Would it be useful to clear codes before the power down?

Scotty

Quote from: scootertrash1 on May 09, 2019, 04:30:46 PM
Would it be useful to clear codes before the power down?

I think they mean turn motor off  :teeth:

What I would do........... I would backup the ECM with the mastertune then find a compatible flash file and flash it a couple times then restore the flash from the backup.
Especially if you have a custom flash in there that is tuned already it would save the parameters.

scootertrash1

Cool! Will give it a try. I am second owner of this Fatty. I knew the original owner. When I bought it from him, I got everything from him including the original bill of sale. On this hand written item was where he had it flashed Stage 1 before he brought it home. My thought because of Screaming Eagle pipes and breather the dealer installed. If I can get it back to that and no check engine light, I'd be happy.