April 18, 2024, 12:17:18 AM

News:

wheel bearings

Started by roadkingdresser, September 16, 2019, 01:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

just changed a set of rear wheel bearings for a friend on a 2017 ultra-limited-7000 mi. he was in tenn. when it started to make a noise and screw with the abs system(can't believe he drove back to pa.) only thing left was the inner races and outer races when i took it apart. didn't ruin the wheel or the belt(one lucky person)so is there a recall one these crappy bearings moco is putting in these bikes?
roadkingdresser

PoorUB

Seriously? Harley recall something? :potstir: :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

HogMike

Same symptoms as my 2019 cvo limited.
Started with the abs acting funny, then wheel bearings noisy.
6000 miles on a new bike? Seriously?

Warranty: new bearings, brake rotor, brake pads.
Bill was about $758.
Would it be better to just use better bearings to start with? Now I have replacement STOCK bearings from China that I can't trust for more than 6000 miles!
:gob:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

IronButt70

Quote from: HOGMIKE on September 17, 2019, 05:02:40 AM
Same symptoms as my 2019 cvo limited.
Started with the abs acting funny, then wheel bearings noisy.
6000 miles on a new bike? Seriously?

Warranty: new bearings, brake rotor, brake pads.
Bill was about $758.
Would it be better to just use better bearings to start with? Now I have replacement STOCK bearings from China that I can't trust for more than 6000 miles!
:gob:
Replaced mine at 25k because of noise. Coming up on 50k and will change them again as part of PM. Heard numerous stories like yours. The old style automotive type bearings were much better but the bean counters found another way to cut corners and save money at the buyers expense.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Finn

When you change wheel bearings do you get new Moco ones with spare part number or opt for Timken or something else aftermarket?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

FSG

rather than use the HD ABS Bearing I'd be looking at the Performance Machine ABS Sensor Ring / Bearing Replacement where you can use a standard bearing with the ring

I've posted details on HTT before and now PM are not the only ones to provide the offering

IronButt70

Quote from: KaritheFinn on September 17, 2019, 06:23:26 AM
When you change wheel bearings do you get new Moco ones with spare part number or opt for Timken or something else aftermarket?
I use All Balls bearings that I get from whichever vendor has the best prices. That's usually Amazon or eBay.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I had one like that on a 17 streetglide on the Front - Never seen a Bearing fall apart like that! Maybe there is something too this? CHINA!
Tom

IronButt70

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on September 17, 2019, 07:22:29 AM
I had one like that on a 17 streetglide on the Front - Never seen a Bearing fall apart like that! Maybe there is something too this? CHINA!
Does anyone in the US make OEM replacements any more?

TN

I put worldwide ceramic hybrid bearings in this year, it makes it go faster cause it lightened my wallet.  :bike:

I hope I get good milage from them, 8,000mi on them now.
Just Ride..........

HarleyHiwayMan

My 2016 Street Bob has 8K miles, flat on rear so I get it to the dealer. He first called this morning telling me to replace the front tire too, well OK. He just called again, rear wheel bearing shot, $176 repair. 8211 total miles on the bike. I refused the wheel bearing, do it myself @ much less cost. Man o man, so ridiculous
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

egstandard

All balls are Chinese
The last ones I got from the moco were Brazilian.

barny7655

Has any of the experts , have a answer to this problem , is it wear, is it load , is it lack of lube, is it tension of axel,, had my 93 softail with the tapered  timkins front and rear had no problems,?
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

PoorUB

Well, the tapereds were a whole different deal, way over kill, probably 5x of more than needed for the application. I can understand why the MoCo stopped using them, too much time spent in assembly. 3/4" bore ball bearings were ok, just the axle was a little lacking. A bit more rigidity would be good so along came the 1" bearings which were pretty good. Guys are talking here about 100,000+ miles on 1" bearings. Then the MoCo decided the 25mm bearings were the way to go, and they have been lacking ever since. There is no good reason, the 25mm should be as good as the 1" bearing as there is only .0157" difference in the bore. Built by the lowest bidder perhaps? At least the 25mm bearing is a standard size so you can pick one up most anywhere, excluding ABS.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Norton Commando

Quote from: PoorUB on September 27, 2019, 04:58:49 AM
Well, the tapereds were a whole different deal, way over kill, probably 5x of more than needed for the application. I can understand why the MoCo stopped using them, too much time spent in assembly. 3/4" bore ball bearings were ok, just the axle was a little lacking. A bit more rigidity would be good so along came the 1" bearings which were pretty good. Guys are talking here about 100,000+ miles on 1" bearings. Then the MoCo decided the 25mm bearings were the way to go, and they have been lacking ever since. There is no good reason, the 25mm should be as good as the 1" bearing as there is only .0157" difference in the bore. Built by the lowest bidder perhaps? At least the 25mm bearing is a standard size so you can pick one up most anywhere, excluding ABS.

Great summarized history of HD wheel bearings!

What year did the 25mm bearings come out? And does someone have a recommendation for a better ABS 25mm bearing?

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

FSG

QuoteAnd does someone have a recommendation for a better ABS 25mm bearing?

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=77108.0

Langwilliams

the 25 mm bearings are narrower so the reduced width could reduce ability to handle load. The 1" are 20 mm wide an the 25 mm are 15 mm wide. both are 52 mm overall diameter. the width may be different with the abs side which I've never dealt with that. I've read guys that had great luck with all balls. One big difference between the bearings is revealed when you pop the seal....the cheaper Chinese ones aren't well packed with grease. The all balls seem well made.  The HD ones feel beefy an well made I wonder if the early failures are ones that didn't get a full load of grease. Some guys pop them open an an check an add if necessary before installing. You can take the measurements to a bearing distributor an order American or Canadian made bearings. I went through all this when I bought V rod muscle wheels that used 25 mm bearings an installed the wheels on my 02 which used 1" bearings. I heard to never pressure wash near the axles because it can get in the bearings an reduce life. I avoid riding in the rain so that may help too.

biggzed

Zach

Quote from: Norton Commando on September 27, 2019, 05:26:45 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 27, 2019, 04:58:49 AM

Great summarized history of HD wheel bearings!

What year did the 25mm bearings come out? And does someone have a recommendation for a better ABS 25mm bearing?

Jason