April 17, 2024, 10:58:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baker DD7

Started by KB, January 18, 2019, 09:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB

Hi
Anyone have trouble with a Baker DD7 7th gear? Mine has recently developed a problem of not securely shifting into 7th gear. It will shift into 7th but then "falls out" into a false neutral. I have to shift back to 6th and shift back the 7th. Sometimes I have to do it several times to get it into 7th gear so it stays in 7th gear.

Thanks
KB
2008 110ci CVO Ultra 108/116
Andrews 57H

koko3052

You may not have had the shifting drum properly "timed" when put together? :scratch:

KB

Quote from: koko3052 on January 19, 2019, 07:19:37 AM
You may not have had the shifting drum properly "timed" when put together? :scratch:

It's been fine for many thousands of kilometers after it was installed but has only recently started to do this. I had thought it could be the eccentric adjustment but there are no instructions in either the workshop manual or in the Baker notes. But the fact that it was ok for a very long time has me puzzled. It seems to not be fully engaging the dogs or something so yes the shift drum would seem to be part of the problem.

I emailed Baker but no reply so far.
Andrews 57H

les

If an eccentric screw is used then the way to adjust them is to shift the tranny back and forth around third gear and see where the natural position of the pawl claws are in relation to the drum pegs.  You basically eyeball the space between the front and back claws from their respective drum pegs and adjust until the natural resting position is equal distance from the drum pegs.

KB

I did the initial adjustment when it went in. I've looked again today and the linkage between the shifter shaft and the levers was loose so maybe with just a small amount of play that might be the problem. I've tightened it up and slightly lengthened the linkage rod. that might be the problem with any luck.
Andrews 57H

koko3052

KB

Quote from: KB on January 19, 2019, 05:32:40 PM
I did the initial adjustment when it went in. I've looked again today and the linkage between the shifter shaft and the levers was loose so maybe with just a small amount of play that might be the problem. I've tightened it up and slightly lengthened the linkage rod. that might be the problem with any luck.

Tightening things up has certainly made a vast difference but not completely solved it.  :emoGroan: Might have to open it up and see if there is any damage.
Andrews 57H

IronMike113

Quote from: KB on January 25, 2019, 05:52:38 PM
Quote from: KB on January 19, 2019, 05:32:40 PM

Tightening things up has certainly made a vast difference but not completely solved it.  :emoGroan: Might have to open it up and see if there is any damage.

Did you call Mark over at Baker Drivetrain??????

You should still have some Warranty left,I believe they had a 5Yr, 50000 mile
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

KB

Spoke to one to the Baker guys and he was stumped too. Best he could think was maybe shift drum wear or a bent shifter fork, maybe a broken shifter pawl spring.

Pulled the top cover off and it seems to be shifting correctly, no broken springs. Some signs of wear on the shift drum pins.

It's ok until it warms up then refuses to stay in 7th gear just keeps falling into a false neutral. It seems odd that if it shifts into gear correctly that it won't stay there. The dog moves a long way to engage so for it to disengage it would also have to move a fair distance. This is almost new gearbox that was a replacement for one that failed so not going too well.

May have to pull it out and inspect.  :emoGroan:
Andrews 57H

IronMike113

Just an idea, :nix: maybe when the shifter linkage was loose,and who knows for how long,there is a possibility the Synchro (Dog) is worn incorrectly from not being engaged completely into its counter part, for 7th gear,the gear set will still have to be removed for this repair,if this is the case,....... :emsad:  Keep us posted as to what you find.

KB

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 16, 2019, 01:44:57 AM
Just an idea, :nix: maybe when the shifter linkage was loose,and who knows for how long,there is a possibility the Synchro (Dog) is worn incorrectly from not being engaged completely into its counter part, for 7th gear,the gear set will still have to be removed for this repair,if this is the case,....... :emsad:  Keep us posted as to what you find.

I hope not as that would mean a new dog and probably the (final?) drive gear. Would it even be detectable/measurable? But it would still mean the dog would have to slide against the shift fork and drum to move over anyway or it wouldn't stay in gear at all?? I was hoping someone here might have experienced this sort of problem before. I guess it has to come out and maybe ship it to Baker for them to check.
Andrews 57H

KB

February 16, 2019, 09:47:29 PM #11 Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:53:50 AM by FSG
Well the box is out and the problem is a bent shifter fork that has also had the dog slider grinding on it. There doesn't appear to be any wear on the dog slider or main drive gear, probably because they are hardened. I'll get the local tech to check it. Not bent much but the direction and the side that was ground down is clearly allowing movement of the dog slider away from the main drive gear. This is there must have been an awful lot of flext involved for it to jump out of gear as the amount of bentness and damage still wasn't enough to let the dogs disengage.

[attach=0,msg1282562]
Andrews 57H

KB

Andrews 57H

KB

The dark marks on the shifter are where it has been grinding and has discoloured the metal from heat.
Andrews 57H

IronMike113

NOW we know,,,,, how long have you had this Gear Set,,,,,, any Warranty?

KB

Yep nothing is bullet proof.
Andrews 57H