March 29, 2024, 02:47:55 AM

News:

Shock bolts

Started by IronButt70, September 13, 2019, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

Trying to remove the shocks from my 17 FLSTC. Not having much luck. No room for socket wrench or breaker bar. Got the rear bolt out from the left side by pounding on a 3/4" wrench with a hammer 1/6th of a turn at a time. Can't do that on the right side. Too much stuff in the way. Does it take some kind of special tool? Have a nice blood blister under my thumb so far.  :banghead:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

HogMike

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 13, 2019, 07:28:15 PM
Trying to remove the shocks from my 17 FLSTC. Not having much luck. No room for socket wrench or breaker bar. Got the rear bolt out from the left side by pounding on a 3/4" wrench with a hammer 1/6th of a turn at a time. Can't do that on the right side. Too much stuff in the way. Does it take some kind of special tool? Have a nice blood blister under my thumb so far.  :banghead:

I think those are the same as on my 2000 and 2005 heritage bikes.
I remember they are very tight.
I soaked them with JB overnight and did the same with hammer and wrench.
Once I got the fronts loose and took the load off the shocks I broke them loose and took them out by hand. Don't know what you have in the way, but I can get a box wrench on both sides.
:oil:
Good luck!
HOGMIKE
SoCal

IronButt70

Quote from: HOGMIKE on September 13, 2019, 07:59:25 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 13, 2019, 07:28:15 PM

I think those are the same as on my 2000 and 2005 heritage bikes.
I remember they are very tight.
I soaked them with JB overnight and did the same with hammer and wrench.
Once I got the fronts loose and took the load off the shocks I broke them loose and took them out by hand. Don't know what you have in the way, but I can get a box wrench on both sides.
:oil:
Good luck!
Got them out and the new air ride suspension installed.  What a PITA.

Hossamania

Congrats on getting those off. No easy task on those softails.
How do you like the new suspension? Which brand?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

IronButt70

Quote from: Hossamania on September 16, 2019, 06:48:31 PM
Congrats on getting those off. No easy task on those softails.
How do you like the new suspension? Which brand?
SAS system from Custom Cycle Controls. Along with that I put Progressive monoshocks on the front and lowered it 1". Went for a short first test ride yesterday. Can already feel a big difference. Will need to play more with the rears to find my best comfort level. Jr. and I are heading to the Ga./NC border on 10/3 for a few days of twisty riding. That will be the big test but judging from yesterday there's going to be a significant improvement in handling. New Barnett clutch will get a good workout too. ( Thanks Calif Phil  :bike:)

IronButt70

Well the SAS air shocks were an epic fail. There does not seem to be a way to control the rebound. For the price I assumed that would be incorporated into the unit. My bad for assuming. Made a 200 mile run yesterday. Rebounded so bad over one dip it literally threw me out of the seat. Sending it back even though I'll have to eat about $200 in "restocking" fees. Disappointed is an understatement.