March 28, 2024, 12:14:11 PM

News:

Could this be the cause of sumping?

Started by r0de_runr, January 31, 2019, 01:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: BVHOG on February 01, 2019, 05:14:50 PM
WTF?  That's a lot of oil in a running engine when it pumps out like that with a small turn.
You had any sumpers through the shop Bob? That's got to worth a look if one pops up aye?
To be perfectly honest, I have not seen a single one yet, going to tune a 19 today that I just did cams in that didn't have the new backing plate which I installed.  Pulling a cvo 19 apart as well and will have a look at that area. Crazy to see something like that.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 01, 2019, 11:23:16 AM
Sorry to say, but technically what the poster is doing is illegal, it's the same thing MOCO got busted for. He may have had second thoughts about opening up that can of worms :idunno:

How is it illegal ??  He is showing an engine case for a bike what is the legal issue there ??  I have and would again tell HD go pound sand . When I posted the new parts books I got a call  , told them to jam it , 

here is the video ,

https://www.facebook.com/158175674212864/videos/505262466666265/

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 02, 2019, 01:32:18 PM
Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 01, 2019, 11:23:16 AM
Sorry to say, but technically what the poster is doing is illegal, it's the same thing MOCO got busted for. He may have had second thoughts about opening up that can of worms :idunno:

How is it illegal ??  He is showing an engine case for a bike what is the legal issue there ??  I have and would again tell HD go pound sand . When I posted the new parts books I got a call  , told them to jam it , 

here is the video ,

https://www.facebook.com/158175674212864/videos/505262466666265/
:hyst: I have seen you tell them to move along once. They did.
Ron

HD/Wrench

V twin show ..   :hyst: :hyst:  Yes it was not a very pleasant comment , I was not asking lets put it that way

Hilly13

Yes well you have every right to tell them where to go and it's no secret even if they are in denial.
Just because its said don't make it so

Nastytls

That's what bullies need, a swift backhand to put them in their place.

bxbutch

Did you see the photo of the light shining thru the porous case posted yesterday  Butch

BVHOG

Just pulled down a bike to install a cam lifters, etc.  I can see where this could easily be a place for problems as it gets thing in that area of the lifter bore.
It appears that the oil passage from the lifter bore to the piston oilers is where the machining may be off or the case may have some serious core shift. Do you have any more pics of where the oil is actually getting through?

Hilly13

That pic was one Jason took Bob, was just the one pic and the vid that I saw.
Just because its said don't make it so

HD/Wrench

Quote from: BVHOG on February 05, 2019, 02:33:14 PM
Just pulled down a bike to install a cam lifters, etc.  I can see where this could easily be a place for problems as it gets thing in that area of the lifter bore.
It appears that the oil passage from the lifter bore to the piston oilers is where the machining may be off or the case may have some serious core shift. Do you have any more pics of where the oil is actually getting through?

50794743_2289511831079227_8155061637087232000_n by GMR Performance, on Flickr

spunky_man

so forgive me if I'm wrong, but so jb weld or something to bloke the hole might fix the issue!!!. explains the sumping on high rpm runs and the supposed cavitation on the return side of the pump as if all the oils in the cam side and none the crank chest causes it to suck air. s&s pump might help but would be over whelmed when only getting oil in one return side not both

Nastytls

JB Weld? I wouldn't trust that stuff inside my engine case. I'd be calling HD insisting they replace the POS that they sold me with something that doesn't have massive casting flaws.

sandrooney

Quote from: Nastytls on February 10, 2019, 03:26:26 AM
JB Weld? I wouldn't trust that stuff inside my engine case. I'd be calling HD insisting they replace the POS that they sold me with something that doesn't have massive casting flaws.

Agree!!!  Hopefully the warranty is still intact .
Patience is such a waste of time .

spunky_man

:agree: but in a few mouths the first of the m8's will be out of warranty, so looking at the cheap fix for thoughs guys that will still have the problem when there warranty runs out. would i use jb weld, probably not. but the thread had stalled and this is one important tread that needs to keep going even if it mean saying something like that to get it going again and to make people think. thank guys

Will-Run

That hole could be welded up, if warranty was over. Would be a better shot than JB.Weld.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

Txwezl

How do you propose welding it without clogging the oil gallery?

PoorUB

I have some experience with JB Weld. No warranty? I would consider JB.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

Quote from: spunky_man on February 11, 2019, 12:13:56 AM
:agree: but in a few mouths the first of the m8's will be out of warranty, so looking at the cheap fix for those guys that will still have the problem when there warranty runs out. would i use jb weld, probably not. but the thread had stalled and this is one important tread that needs to keep going even if it mean saying something like that to get it going again and to make people think. thank guys

The first M8s (2017 models) were out of  warranty last summer, as they were bought in August of 16.  Has anybody else seen this? Is this a one off casting flaw, or a common issue? Anybody else with an M8 apart can confirm there's more than 1 like this?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JMHD

Just had a 2017 107 FLHX apart for a stg 4. Checked this area while it was apart and it was good. Lifter bores were smooth too. Have seen lifter bores that are full of pockets and pits.  I think it is hit and miss.

Moparnut72

I had a co-worker years ago that once worked in a shop that worked on new engines and components from a major auto manufacturer. He said they did all kinds of "fixes" to correct manufacturing flaws mostly resulting from core shifts. He said they did all kinds of goofy stuff to save a block. He also said he wondered what an engine rebuilder got one of these down the road for reconditioning and saw some of these one off parts to work with such things as offset cranks, cams, odd sized lifter bores etc. Unfortunately these kinds of things happen to all manufacturers. Too bad they aren't caught before the customer gets one.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

1workinman

Quote from: PoorUB on February 11, 2019, 07:44:32 AM
I have some experience with JB Weld. No warranty? I would consider JB.
Well I was thinking that also or some kind of epoxy . I had a set of angle plugs the intake ports were some kind of epoxy that came off a g gas car that set the record a long time ago .I bought the heads and several other parts to build my street motor.  . Never gave any problems

1workinman

Quote from: Moparnut72 on February 11, 2019, 09:50:17 AM
I had a co-worker years ago that once worked in a shop that worked on new engines and components from a major auto manufacturer. He said they did all kinds of "fixes" to correct manufacturing flaws mostly resulting from core shifts. He said they did all kinds of goofy stuff to save a block. He also said he wondered what an engine rebuilder got one of these down the road for reconditioning and saw some of these one off parts to work with such things as offset cranks, cams, odd sized lifter bores etc. Unfortunately these kinds of things happen to all manufacturers. Too bad they aren't caught before the customer gets one.
kk
True I was a mechanic for GM and I think that they had a bad run of blocks and seems like the fix was to use a stand and and under size main bearings . After all of the warranty work and crap I saw I went to work in the oil field never looked back

BVHOG

Had a tiny hole like this in a cast iron head many years ago from spring seat machining and core shift. I used one of these to fix it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk
If it was my own bike I would use an epoxy and never look back. Customer bike is a whole different deal.

cmashark

Quote from: BVHOG on February 12, 2019, 06:05:30 AM
Had a tiny hole like this in a cast iron head many years ago from spring seat machining and core shift. I used one of these to fix it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk
If it was my own bike I would use an epoxy and never look back. Customer bike is a whole different deal.

That's pretty cool.  I'd like to see what pressure it would take to make the lock stitch fail.
2021 FLHXSE