March 28, 2024, 12:13:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harley SEPST Cranks to Fire

Started by Hilly13, November 26, 2018, 04:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilly13

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 04, 2018, 06:30:52 AM
A thought-  try small ( like 2-4%) throttle openings, and then hit the button-if that makes a difference, increaseing the IAC warmup steps should have the same effect.
That and your timing tips are about all there is that can be adjusted to possibly help me thinks, I have tried the warm up steps before but will again, thanks Robin, I do appreciate your interest in this, I'm flat out with work till Friday then fly out that afternoon for a week so I'm just not going to get a chance to get to the bike the way it's looking. Will update when I do.
Just because its said don't make it so

Hilly13

Quote from: Hilly13 on December 04, 2018, 10:11:23 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on December 04, 2018, 06:30:52 AM
A thought-  try small ( like 2-4%) throttle openings, and then hit the button-if that makes a difference, increaseing the IAC warmup steps should have the same effect.
That and your timing tips are about all there is that can be adjusted to possibly help me thinks, I have tried the warm up steps before but will again, thanks Robin, I do appreciate your interest in this, I'm flat out with work till Friday then fly out that afternoon for a week so I'm just not going to get a chance to get to the bike the way it's looking. Will update when I do.

Got a quick look at it this afternoon before I had to get ready for the plane, opening the throttle a tad before cranking it didn't change the number of cranks to fire it just made it rev up a bit when it did fire, I have adjusted the IAC warm up table before and I think that's pretty much what it did when I raised the numbers, went 5%, then 10% from memory and it did sfa to the the cranks to fire, that's it for 10 days though, out of town in a few minutes.

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hilly13

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 21, 2018, 03:35:52 AM
Any news on this?

Not as yet, haven't had a chance to look at it since I got back home, work keeps getting in the way.

Hilly13

Well it's been awhile, 120 days apparently  :embarrassed: but thought I would carry on again from where I left off.
To try and keep this in chronological order since my last post.
Pulled the battery leads off and cleaned all mating surfaces including paint where it earth's. No change.
Hooked the bike up to my 4X4 battery.
Spun over slightly faster but same amount of cranks to fire.
The battery in the bike died so replaced it with an SSB 400CCA, same deal as the 4X4 battery.
Replaced battery leads with better ones.
I felt good about it, the bike didn't notice  :cry:.
Revisited the tables in the calibration that I have access to even though I had been here before.
Cranking Fuel, going up just makes it smell and eventually backfire, going down takes more turns to fire.
IAC steps, going up made it puff out of the intake, going down 5 points actually made it slightly better, as in it now started in 3-4 revolutions more often than 4-5, still went to 5 just not often.
Adjusted the timing in the 750-1000rpm rows from 70-100kpa, went both ways, + and - numbers, the - settings work better. I changed the crank sensor just to see if there was any change in behaviour.
It now seems to start more often in 2-3 revolutions but sometimes goes to 4 however not to 5, another slight improvement for sure.
While it is better it is not jab and start, I can't help feeling I'm missing something somewhere but I really am at the point where I don't know what to try next.
Anyone have a silver bullet for me?

98fxstc

SSB 400CCA  - good battery  :up:

that's all I got

Hilly13

Hilly13

HTT pariah I must be, just cricket's as friend's  :slap:

98fxstc

Have a look with a borescope to see if there is anything untoward going on.
Will get plenty of suggestions then   :teeth:

Hilly13

Quote from: 98fxstc on June 13, 2019, 10:45:53 PM
Have a look with a borescope to see if there is anything untoward going on.
Will get plenty of suggestions then   :teeth:

Nearly spat beer on me phone haha