March 28, 2024, 05:34:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S 4" cylinders

Started by JSD, December 07, 2022, 08:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSD

Are the spigot lengths that fit in crankcase the same on the 100 kit for 88 the same as the 110 kit. I have a 4 3/8 in a 2001 can i drop a 110 kit on it ?
Thanks in advance.

Ohio HD

They have to be the same. OEM 88" and 96"/103" cylinders all interchange in the early and late cases. The S&S cylinders are patterned after the OEM cylinders for fit.

JSD

Thanks Ohio i win the bet as a bloke tried telling me different . He said he read it in S&S cat i said the diff is in the Pistons

FXDBI

Only difference is the older cases need to have the piston skirt clearances checked in the bottom case for the increased stroke of the 43/8 crank from the 4in. My 2006 Dyna needed opening up deeper.

Bob

Ohio HD

A good engine builder checks those clearances when changing the motor configuration.

Building a Stroker 101.

FXDBI

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 08, 2022, 07:19:37 AMA good engine builder checks those clearances when changing the motor configuration.

Building a Stroker 101.

Agreed and many many other clearances. Why I prefer to bench assemble a engine.  Bob

koko3052

Quote from: JSD on December 07, 2022, 08:19:17 PMAre the spigot lengths that fit in crankcase the same on the 100 kit for 88 the same as the 110 kit. I have a 4 3/8 in a 2001 can i drop a 110 kit on it ?
Thanks in advance.

Simple answer....YES.
I built a 110" using cases from '01 B, had the spigot holes bored for HD cyls., don't know if S&S are the same spigots. Had the cam journals bored for 1" Timkens, used '07 & up cam plate & hyd. tensioners. This way I have unlimited choices for '07 & up cams instead of limited choice for hybrids. For the "thru bolt" I used a 1/4" G8 bolt & locknut c/w hardened steel washers & o-ring each side. I tigged the cases to build up where the bolt goes through then machined flat to accommodate the washers then milled an o-ring groove in the thru hole so when the bolt is tightened it squashes the o-ring against the bolt.I just don't like the idea of the thru bolt being threaded into the aluminum case. A couple seasons on it now & no leaks & LOVE the power. :up:

Ohio HD

He's talking about S&S drop in 4" cylinders. So no case boring needed.

Don D

Its the counterbore or lack thereof that is critical. This is illustrated well in the S&S instructions for the 100" kit. The skirts can hit the case at BDC