March 28, 2024, 03:16:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 06, 2019, 05:52:22 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 06, 2019, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 06, 2019, 08:09:33 AM
I found their location a few months ago while looking for exhaust as well. They were or are working from a residence (not listing that address publicly). And also another address is 941 Garcia Ave, Pittsburg, CA 94565 which is a commercial location. Hopefully their business grew and they went to a commercial location.

Yeah. That throws up a flag from but could live with that if they had the technicals. In talking with them it was apparent that they were expert welders but lacked the scientific knowledge required to make an effective exhaust or even basic A-B-C comparisons showing THIER different designs on the same large large engine with details specs of that engine. Instead I got screen shots of pictures of dyne sheets from various builds. Have to pass. Good looking stuff though.

I agree with you. May be the best pipe out there, but without supporting data of theirs, or others that have used them, I'm skeptical too.

Some friends of mine went down a similar path with an exhaust company named Sawicki. Small shop, working out of his house, no real sense of business, etc. Bunch of my friends paid for and waited for pipes that never came. Every month it was a new round of excuses, friendships were destroyed, etc. I was never convinced his pipes were all that. I get a kick out of exhaust sellers that claim their pipes were designed for the widest power band, most horsepower, etc, etc. If that were the case some of those welders should be teaching physics at the Phd level because they have figured out how to defeat several laws of physics. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

FXDBI

https://www.facebook.com/UnobtainiumWelding/

This fellow makes bike exhaust has well not cheap but the quality is 2nd to none.  Does custom work for the dealer in Calgary AB.   Bob

turboprop

Would really prefer that my thread on building the Long range Missile not turn into an exhaust discussion with everyone throwing in their home town favorite. I got this and will share stuff as it happens. I promise.

No Cents

have you gave any thought of making your own pipe?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

turboprop

Someone asked for a picture of the left side, here you go.

The primary drive case is a '94 and up inner casting with whatever year TC outer cover. No thing was modified to anything in the primary drive to make the mid shift. its all untouched factory stuff. The bagger trans case used during '99-'00 bolts right up to the FXR inner primary case.

HD/Wrench

January 07, 2019, 04:33:59 AM #55 Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:02:56 PM by FSG
Quote from: turboprop on January 06, 2019, 07:54:38 AM
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 06, 2019, 07:39:09 AM
Any thought given to Fab28 ??

I have looked at their pipes and spoken with them. The pipes are gorgeous no doubt. Unfortunately, the technical details about them are very light and the fact that they intentionally hide or omit their physical location from their website throws a a flag.

They are in CA so maybe that is one reason for location and yes details seem less than but I see the pipes here and there and they do build customs

biggzed

Any updates on this bike? I for one really enjoy reading Turboprops build threads.

Zach

turboprop

Zach, thank you for the kind words.

3-Phase Cycle Electric charging system is in. I did a small production run of custom FXR top engine mounts with integrated TC style coil mounting. Made from .250" stainless.

Rear brake MC and reservoir issues have been sorted out. In a nut shell, the FXR rear MC has a nipple that points straight up and required a feed line with a very sharp bend that I didn't like (the wider Bisanno trap door interfered). Don't ask me why, but I had a rear MC from a softail (barf) in my garage that has a nipple that comes off at an angle. The reservoir is a NOS billet unit from GMA that also has unique plumbing issues. Add in the bagger oil spout on the transmission and it required a bit of thinking to sort through and make it clean.

Currently working on the primary drive setup and waiting for a custom exhaust. I just sourced a NOS Delkron '94 and up inner case. Will be using a '98 and up basket with a ceramic bearing, Rekluse clutch pack, AIM variable pressure plate, Baker fine tooth adjuster, Vulcan Eng. fixed front sprocket, RK Chain, and an EVO Ind. 10/84 ring and pinion.

The exhaust is a special version (different step dimensions) of the FAB28 High Output pipe.

The Anti-Gravity battery with Jump Start is on order. I still have a bunch of wiring to cleanup under the gas tank and around the top tree. I still need to source some plug wires from Magna-Core. And there are maybe a dozen or so 12pt bolts that I need to source.

Will post pics when I have the pipe installed and the primary put together.

Goal is to ride this bike to Rolling Thunder this summer and then out to Cali for the FXR of Cali main event.

koko3052

Nice looking scoot..... but I think you need to start doing some sit-ups. :hyst:

kd

:agree:  :hyst: ..... or is that derby bending the light ???  :scratch:
KD

PoorUB

Quote from: koko3052 on March 11, 2019, 06:01:06 PM
Nice looking scoot..... but I think you need to start doing some sit-ups. :hyst:

More HP is easier than shedding weight! :hyst:

Turbo, at least put a shirt on next time you take pics!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

Quote from: PoorUB on March 11, 2019, 07:21:33 PM
Quote from: koko3052 on March 11, 2019, 06:01:06 PM

More HP is easier than shedding weight! :hyst:

Turbo, at least put a shirt on next time you take pics!

Lucky I was wearing pants.

PoorUB

HighLiner

turboprop

Wouldn't you guys much rather have another in-depth, never-ending debate, with everyone chiming in to say the same thing. Maybe lifters or oil ?

PoorUB

It is still winter over most of the USA. Whatever we can find for entertainment!

ecir50

Quote from: turboprop on March 11, 2019, 05:41:40 PM
Will be using a '98 and up basket with a ceramic bearing, Rekluse clutch pack, AIM variable pressure plate,

Looking forward to feedback on the above.

motolocopat

Quote from: kd on March 11, 2019, 06:14:54 PM
  :agree:  :hyst: ..... or is that derby bending the light ???  :scratch:

I'll by that.

Thanks, I needed a laugh today
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Hossamania

Turbo, you mentioned Rolling Thunder, only two months away, hard to believe. Hope you get this up and running with some shakedown runs in time. It should be quite the event this year being the last one. Makes me want to ride with the Run For The Wall one more time, but I don't know if I could handle the emotion, it still stops me when I think about it ten years later.
Good luck! Looking forward to you getting this on the road.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Alan S

Since this is going to be a long range (I'm guessing touring) missle, any reason you didn't opt for the later model with the 6 sp?
If the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy.
Red Green

turboprop

Quote from: Alan S on March 16, 2019, 04:28:32 PM
Since this is going to be a long range (I'm guessing touring) missle, any reason you didn't opt for the later model with the 6 sp?

Is that how you did yours? If so, please share how you did the mid shift.  Does it look clean and use all oem FXR primary drive parts like the '99-'00 FL transmission does? Please post up a few pictures of your TC FXR with the later six speed transmission.

HighLiner

turboprop

Quote from: HighLiner on March 17, 2019, 07:03:38 AM
I'm interested in seeing it too

My gut feeling is not only has he not put a TC engine into an FXR, but he hasn't thought through the process either. Unfortunately, I encounter this way too often. Usual thought process is to get a good deal on a 103" drivetrain with the six speed. Bigger is better right, and the six speed is even better. Then they try to figure out a way to put it in an FXR. Usually on the cheap. Of course they have seen pics online of some show bike like this. Comical. The internet is full of experts that have never really done anything but are full of advice and good ideas. But maybe Alan is the exception and has actually done this. I hope so as I would like to learn something new, but will not hold my breath waiting for pictures.

ecir50

Quote from: turboprop on March 16, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Is that how you did yours? If so, please share how you did the mid shift.  Does it look clean and use all oem FXR primary drive parts like the '99-'00 FL transmission does? Please post up a few pictures of your TC FXR with the later six speed transmission.

The guy ask a question and you go off on your all to common comeback of I am better than you and start your bashing of said person. You have helped allot of guys with FXR's but why such a dick all the time, guess you will try and hit me now. 

turboprop

March 17, 2019, 10:20:10 AM #74 Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:25:07 AM by turboprop
Quote from: ecir50 on March 17, 2019, 09:49:24 AM
Quote from: turboprop on March 16, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

The guy ask a question and you go off on your all to common comeback of I am better than you and start your bashing of said person. You have helped allot of guys with FXR's but why such a dick all the time, guess you will try and hit me now.

<sigh> I get asked the same stuff over and over. Both online and via PM. I don't mind helping with real questions from people that are actually doing something. Unfortunately, I encounter way too many arm chair commandos with good idea fairys  on their shoulder.  The question that Alan asked has been discussed on this page several times. I just tried the search function and found the discussions. Too easy. Most information that people ask for is already posted, they are just lazy and want someone to serve it to them without having to make any effort on their own. Do the work. It really is that simple.

And yea, I am a dick.  Don't care.