March 28, 2024, 04:52:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Input needed on tuners thoughts and comments

Started by BadHabit, April 27, 2019, 03:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Long

Tuning a disc system is part of the "tuning" process, if you don't adjust the disc's you are simply telling the motor what it needs rather than letting the motor tell you what it wants. Sometimes it comes down to the tuning time allotted, sometimes the money the tuner is charging, and sometimes the tuner simply does not want to mess with them. These are the kind of things that separate one tuning shop to the next. There are no absolutes as to the number of discs required for a given application and when everything is in its sweet spot and the physics behind the discs really gets working some would really be surprised what they find. We were recently doing some exhaust testing on a M8 124" in the 150Hp range on a new 2/1 system we are working on and ended up with only 9 discs. 

BadHabit

They were closed today. I am going to call first thing in the morning and speak with the TUNER not the service mgr and ask he START with 10 and to not go over 15. If he tries telling me more is always better and doesn't want to tune between those parameters I'll load up and spend the 7 hours getting the bike back home....

Ohio HD

Well, if you decide you're not going to be happy there, maybe get in touch with Brandon at J&B Cycles. He has several dyno sheets in the dyno section. Just be going south instead of north. He's in Tennessee.

Just another option.

https://www.facebook.com/jandbperformance/

BadHabit

April 30, 2019, 06:37:28 AM #28 Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:41:31 AM by BadHabit
Well I just got off the phone and the service mgr was reluctant to have me speak with the tuner (said he would have him busy and wouldn't have time to talk). I told them I needed to talk to the tuner himself before any work and surprisingly the service mgr says "oh here he just walked in" and proceeded to hand him the phone...Spoke to him and he agreed on the tuning process saying "yep that's how we do it" and agreed it probably had two many already....He listened to me and what I wanted and the process of tuning that was recommended. Easy going and receptive....He put my mind and wallet at ease. I will follow up with everyone once it's completed. (They say usually a week)

BadHabit

May 09, 2019, 01:07:06 AM #30 Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:14:50 AM by BadHabit
Picked her up yesterday. They commented that my clutch was slipping and that the torque dip was from my head pipe which was "old technology" said that a stepped head pipe would have fixed it. Said they could have "played with the discs more" and it might have helped the dip but hurt HP...(told them to tune for tq so I'm a little confused). Ended up with 106hp/104tq with 14 discs....Once the weather breaks and I get a chance to get some time on her I'll report back. Dyno sheet and build specs in dyno results section.

Note: Am running se clutch spring currently but just ordered a aim vpi 95 clutch to help out

Hossamania

How do you like the sound of the pipe? I saw your graph, it makes pretty good low end power for a 95". You could change the head pipe and lessen that dip, but I think once you put some time in riding it, you'll figure out where it is happy in the rpm range, and just deal with it without even thinking about it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

BadHabit

Sounds good. Not as good as my old rb racing lsr but I'm good with it.

RK103

May 15, 2019, 02:24:18 PM #33 Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:19:17 PM by Coyote
 [] [attach=0,msg1297145]  [attach=1,msg1297145]

RK103

103 with 258 cams SE heads WB E-series. penned in numbers  are the number of discs. Note very little change in peak numbers but drastic changes in low end with fewer discs.

BadHabit

Thanks. Good to have more to be able to reference.