March 29, 2024, 03:14:41 AM

News:

110 Lifter Bores

Started by RayK, July 24, 2019, 04:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayK

I brought my bike to the dealer for noisy lifters, on diss assembly they found the lifter bores were scored, what causes lifter bores to become scored? The bike is 2013 CVO 110 motor with 90,000 km's lifters were replaced about 30,000 km's ago.
2013 CVO Ultra
Fullsac DX, 2" baffles, TTS

CndUltra88

Hey RayK, I can only commiserate my with you.
Not from any experience personally, but being lucky it didn't happen or hasn't happened to me yet.
Lifters seem to get a lot of attention and there will be and has been much discussion on solutions and causes.
Lots of guys change lifters out and consider them as consumables until they find a set that seems to work.
Not much help right now, but sit tight others will have more for you (recommendations and plausible causes) shortly.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=109592.0

Rob

Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

choseneasy

Scored lifter bores likely means some debris in the oil. I would take the oil filter apart and inspect in the pleats for signs of metal.

FXDBI

Quote from: choseneasy on July 24, 2019, 05:37:17 AM
Scored lifter bores likely means some debris in the oil. I would take the oil filter apart and inspect in the pleats for signs of metal.

:agree:  good place to start.  Bob

Don D

These are grooves, you can feel them?
What do the bores measure?

RayK

I don't know the specific measurements, it's at the dealer. All I know is there are scores in the bore radially , the lifters were getting louder in the past few weeks. There is an issue with leak test on the heads and the cam plate is scored, only 30,000 km's on the heads. Dealer wants to replace the engine.
2013 CVO Ultra

Don D

In a dealer situation that is the way they would respond. Sounds like there is a lot going on there

PoorUB

Replace the engine or totally rebuild it. Dealers are typically going to replace. Seems to me something has failed and run trash throughout the engine.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

RayK

Dealer said they will repair main cases recondition the heads and replace everything else with new,
2013 CVO Ultra

koko3052

Don D

Quote from: RayK on August 03, 2019, 05:52:10 AM
Dealer said they will repair main cases recondition the heads and replace everything else with new,
I would insist on new cases. Many BS and wag around this topic. There are very few shops that can properly sleeve the lifter bores and if that is done then no issue. I would ask the questions. What does "recondition" mean?

RayK

Update; ESP has authorized the replacement of the cases, the only parts from my old motor will be the heads which will have new valves, valve seats and valve guides. Should I re dyno after the build?
2013 CVO Ultra

Durwood

I would replace the oil pan and oil cooler as well. JMO

Deye76

Quote from: Durwood on August 09, 2019, 04:41:43 AM
I would replace the oil pan and oil cooler as well. JMO

Sage advice.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

RayK

Not sure about the oil pan but they are replacing the cooler.
2013 CVO Ultra

rigidthumper

Late model pans have a riveted on baffle cover, makes them hard to clean unless they drill out the rivets and remove the cover. Easier to replace, than worry about chunks floating into a new engine...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

prodrag1320

Bores can be sleeved,not a big deal for a good shop

RTMike

Have they tore the engine down and determined what caused the problem

RayK

They couldn't find anything obvious some scuffing in the cylinder bores, good news is my heads are coming back with bee-hive springs, bronze looking valve guides upgraded seats and flowed and the gasket area resurfaced.
2013 CVO Ultra

RayK

Picked up the bike and rode it home, this motor is a lot smoother than the other one, and less lifter noise although when hot still doing some clacking, going to do a break in, hope these heads are going to be a big improvement over the stock HD ones.
2013 CVO Ultra

Don D

The noise is the nature of the beast. If it has stock cams the lobes have high acceleration rates. The HD lifters bleed off, aftermarket not as bad. The beehive springs touted as the proper pressure have just as much or greater spring pressure than the stockers. I use a conical spring on them with only 140# seat pressure but a spring rate of 435#. Keeps everything planted. Next tapping rocker shafts can be noisy too. Some issues just the evils of a twin cam others added by the 110 to the existing stack.

Thermodyne

If the tappet bores are scored, and there was not an oil failure or really high lift cam involved, next thing to do would be to look at the cylinder bores.  If they are scored, then pull a jug and look for imbedded steel in the piston skirts.  If the skirts sparkle, then the crank pin-bearing-rod is usually failing.

Its cheaper to replace with a crate motor, but its all fixable.  The tappet holes can be reamed for oversized tappets, or they can be bushed with brass inserts.

Don D

Quote from: Thermodyne on September 14, 2019, 08:47:37 AM
If the tappet bores are scored, and there was not an oil failure or really high lift cam involved, next thing to do would be to look at the cylinder bores.  If they are scored, then pull a jug and look for imbedded steel in the piston skirts.  If the skirts sparkle, then the crank pin-bearing-rod is usually failing.

Its cheaper to replace with a crate motor, but its all fixable.  The tappet holes can be reamed for oversized tappets, or they can be bushed with brass inserts.

He got new cases, I would hope they checked the rod bearings and runout, who knows?

PoorUB

Post #11 says they replaced everything but reused the heads after a rebuild.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Don D