March 28, 2024, 02:11:05 PM

News:

Primary Chain to Belt Conversion

Started by Chopper75, June 11, 2019, 06:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopper75

Considering converting my primary chain to a belt drive. Currently running a Barnett Scorpion Clutch which is designed to run dry. Since I have a chain, I keep a bit of Trans fluid in the sealed primary. In order to go open belt drive, what would I need to change?

JW113

Surf Karata and Primo's web pages, it's pretty straight forward. Engine sprocket, clutch basket, belt. I actually went the other way, converted back to chain. A little head's up: if you do this, start thinking how you're going to slot the inner primary engine bolt holes so you can adjust the belt. Like the stock HD inners are that came with belt primary.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Chopper75

Good point on the adjustment. Didn't think about that.

Hossamania

Also, primary belts break. Chains, rarely so.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

david lee

if i had the chance id go back to chain.your stuffed if you break a belt anyway my primo belt came with a metal roller adjuster

Chopper75

This is why I love this forum. You guys always prevent me from doing dumb "Potty mouth". Lol. Thanks for the info fellas.

friday

Quote from: JW113 on June 11, 2019, 11:09:19 AM
A little head's up: if you do this, start thinking how you're going to slot the inner primary engine bolt holes so you can adjust the belt. Like the stock HD inners are that came with belt primary.

-JW

Ive never seen a stock inner case , not doubting , Ive read about them before but there are no pics.

any pics out there?

capn

I got a BDL 11 mm with and idler bearing makes it easy to adjust belt.It was on when I bought it , at first I didnt care for it but it seems OK so far.

JW113

Burnout

Slotting those holes does little unless you break off the O ring lip on the motor case.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

david lee

Quote from: capn on June 13, 2019, 02:45:58 PM
I got a BDL 11 mm with and idler bearing makes it easy to adjust belt.It was on when I bought it , at first I didnt care for it but it seems OK so far.
im still running the same belt 35 yrs on

friday

those aren't the holes I was thinking. I thought it would be the trans holes, because of the O ring

but that's the first pic Ive seen , thanks

JW113

With a belt primary you don't use the pri case to motor O ring, and there is supposedly enough slop in the O ring groove without the O ring to make some belt adjustment. Anyway, that's what the factory thought.

-JW

kd

Like JW, I converted to belt but very soon went back to chain.  I liked traveling and with a chain you can get parts at a farm supply if something happens.  Never any significant down time.
KD

JW113

True, but in fact a chain primary drive is something that just doen't break. Belts? There are two kind. Those that broke, and those that are going to...

I get it, big wide open belts are way cool on custom choppers that don't get ridden except to the bar and back. For a narrow enclosed belt that's simply replacing the chain, what are you getting other than one more thing to worry about? HD tried it, HD said screw this. I tried it, and I said screw this. I really hate pushing motorcycles.

-JW

76shuvlinoff

Phil Ross used to be a regular here, he built a great belt drive. I believe he passed away in 2009 or so, I am not sure if his company still exists.

http://supermax.net/
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Skooterbumm

Interesting post, my 1980 has a belt conversion when i bought it a few years back. Now a question, the primary belts are prone to breaking, why doesnt the rear belt have breakage issues? Thoughts?? 

Hossamania

Quote from: Skooterbumm on March 22, 2023, 09:55:13 AMInteresting post, my 1980 has a belt conversion when i bought it a few years back. Now a question, the primary belts are prone to breaking, why doesnt the rear belt have breakage issues? Thoughts??

Primary belts are often subject to more heat.
They are connected directly to the motor and don't have the extra length, transmission parasitic loss and extra pulleys to absorb the shock.
Having said that, I've broken two drive belts. It wasn't the belt's fault.
A friend of mine used to blow out primary belts on his stroker shovel all the time, running a small belt (1 1/2"?). Told him to go back to chain or 3" belt. He never did, just had to baby it to keep from breaking them.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on March 22, 2023, 10:36:44 AM
Quote from: Skooterbumm on March 22, 2023, 09:55:13 AMInteresting post, my 1980 has a belt conversion when i bought it a few years back. Now a question, the primary belts are prone to breaking, why doesnt the rear belt have breakage issues? Thoughts??

They are connected directly to the motor and don't have the extra length, transmission parasitic loss and extra pulleys to absorb the shock.
A friend of mine used to blow out primary belts on his stroker shovel all the time, running a small belt (1 1/2"?). Told him to go back to chain or 3" belt. He never did, just had to baby it to keep from breaking them.
yrs ago my mate had a 93 fxr and his rear belt broke. his fault as he was told it needed replacing

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on June 11, 2019, 11:09:19 AMSurf Karata and Primo's web pages, it's pretty straight forward. Engine sprocket, clutch basket, belt. I actually went the other way, converted back to chain. A little head's up: if you do this, start thinking how you're going to slot the inner primary engine bolt holes so you can adjust the belt. Like the stock HD inners are that came with belt primary.

-JW
my primo belt drive came with a roller adjuster, also primary should be vented

Excalibur

March 22, 2023, 10:14:01 PM #21 Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:38:49 PM by FSG
Mine hasn't done lots of miles yet but zero problems so far. Clutch works great too.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Made simple adjuster set up

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Obviously no vent problems but I was keen to keep stones out, so I made inner and outer cover plates fit real close.

FYI. Hope this helps.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on March 22, 2023, 10:36:44 AM

im still running the same 11mm 35 yrs on but i will say its done not much mileage and still looks new

Hossamania

I still like the dry clutch rattle with the belt drive.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on March 23, 2023, 04:46:05 AMI still like the dry clutch rattle with the belt drive.
the rattle tells you the clutch is working