April 23, 2024, 11:45:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durwood

Here's a better illustration of what I did to mine.

http://rockerlockers.com/wordpress/?page_id=215
[attach=0,msg1299245]

hd06

I prefer the primary vent it works but it's a bandaid.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: hd06 on May 27, 2019, 03:38:08 PM
I prefer the primary vent it works but it's a bandaid.

While the vent has fixed your problem, the vent has not been 100%, that is good for you but not for the one guy who's bike didn't get fixed. The fat rod is the same, not a 100%.
The winner of the prize/prestige will be fast, easy, CHEAP and most important 100%.
And I am not talking about a fifty bikes but all the bikes having problems.
Stonecold came close but his fix did not meet all the criteria.
FSG hit it on the nose, you have to address the problem, oil entering the tunnel, you have to stop the oil but still let the primary breath.
Otherwise you will never hit 100%
That will be the winner.

hd06

I've read somewhere that somebody said that somebody tried the vent and it didn't work but I couldn't the actual post on the internet. I fought this problem for 2 years with Harley played there little game of maybe it's driver error. I could ride my bike 600 miles and only have 6 oz. in the trans. September of 18 I fronted a Harley Rep. at a bike rally he put the vent on my bike and problem solved. Where did you find the post on this problem .    Thanks 

Dmerch

Pulled the transmission outer side cover and milled some oil drainback reliefs.

blacktop37

Looks great, I was curious why you thought the top area needed opened up, or am I looking at it wrong?

Dmerch

Just wanted to unshroud the area.

FSG

well the vent kit is now available to buy

Maddo Snr

Quote from: FSG on May 31, 2019, 02:13:23 AM
well the vent kit is now available to buy

Something funky here. Where did the previous part number go?
And why? (94100065)
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

FSG

Part Numbers, Kit Numbers, ........   :SM:

HogMike

Quote from: FSG on June 03, 2019, 12:16:26 AM

Just curious, how much are they charging for the hose?
And why buy the hose or kit when Harley will install everything including oil under warranty?
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ziggy24

June 03, 2019, 08:49:17 AM #1512 Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:25:40 PM by FSG
Quote from: MakoHD on May 09, 2019, 06:25:56 AM
once again you guys can keep braking your head about this but i would like to state it again for the ones that haven't seen what i posted. i have installed on 5 different bikes the push rods i always keep some in stock. it fixes the problem for me 100% i do not consider it a band-aid. i consider it a perfect fix unless you would like to create a new transmission shaft with smaller ID. the bikes that i have down this to are in my riding group and we cruise at 95 mph on cruise control  thanks to the TTS tuner that allows us to do so.

buy it from
macomb county choppers

I have 2091 FLHXS that had a transfer issue. I tried the fat rod approach, to no avail. Checked trans after 1000 or so miles. It was not on the stick. Drained the primary, got almost 48 oz of it. I went to the dealer to try and get it recorded, they wanted me to drop it of so they could record the oil, change it and have me come back within 50 miles of 1000 miles. Nothing like being inconvenienced after spending stupid money on a motorcycle. I do all my own work and can pretty much figure out that a magic fairy didn't steal the oil out of my transmission while I slept. The dealer  told me they need to see it for themselves, per the MoCo.

Maybe they figure I was bored and made up the whole thing!
589 935 7433

HogMike

Quote from: JMHD on June 03, 2019, 09:29:24 AM
Quote from: rbabos on June 03, 2019, 06:35:01 AM
Quote from: HOGMIKE on June 03, 2019, 06:17:02 AM
Quote from: FSG on June 03, 2019, 12:16:26 AM

Just curious, how much are they charging for the hose?
And why buy the hose or kit when Harley will install everything including oil under warranty?
:missed:
Because HD knows people will buy it and they can turn a profit from their mistakes, once again.
Ron
Yup, now the owners of 2017 models that are out of warranty have to install this kit on their own dime. :wtf:

My 17 cvo was doing the same transfer and the service bulletin said to drain and measure oil, refill, ride 5000 miles and repeat. Didn't want the warranty to run out, BUT if you have a paper trail, the factory must fix it.

My dealer offered a good deal on my 19 saying how all that was fixed on the new models, not a true statement on his part, but he was unaware of the issues.
The vent tube fixed the problem for ME and the others they did it for in our club.
As long as the oil stays where it's supposed to stay I'm ok.
Just wish the factory would admit they have a problem.
:gob:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JMHD

Seen a primary vent tube on a 2019 Tri-glide that was fresh out of the crate. Running change possibly?  :scratch:

DTTJGlide

Yes all bikes are coming from the factory with the vent installed as of some time in May. The vent kit comes with O-ring for drain plug, a pattern for installation, & oh yeah that overpriced primary gasket that Moco says you need every time. They couldn't sell just the hose since they don't want you to believe you could reuse the gasket, wonder how many millions they've made on selling primary gaskets over the years :emoGroan:

JMHD

Quote from: Dmerch on May 13, 2019, 05:00:17 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of the official MoCo vent hole as seen from the cavity side of the primary?
I'm interested in the actual location within the cavity.
I know this was asked a while ago, here are some pics.

HogMike

Quote from: DTTJGlide on June 03, 2019, 10:08:05 PM
Yes all bikes are coming from the factory with the vent installed as of some time in May. The vent kit comes with O-ring for drain plug, a pattern for installation, & oh yeah that overpriced primary gasket that Moco says you need every time. They couldn't sell just the hose since they don't want you to believe you could reuse the gasket, wonder how many millions they've made on selling primary gaskets over the years :emoGroan:

I think you can buy the hose separately. I don't have the part number handy but Harley wants $39.00 for that little piece of rubber tube!
For those that have a paper trail of transfer issues for warranty, let the dealer do the install. Much cheaper than having the customer do it and potentially voiding your warranty.
JMHO of course
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

klammer76

I don't have an M8 but am curious, Does the inner primary need to be pulled to install this "fix"?

HogMike

Quote from: klammer76 on June 04, 2019, 10:06:13 AM
I don't have an M8 but am curious, Does the inner primary need to be pulled to install this "fix"?

No
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Jaycee1964

Sorry that I'm getting in at the end of this but are all M8's having this issue?  I have a 2018 RG ultra... 8K on it.  Gonna def check my fluid when I get home tonight.  Going on a 4500 mile ride next week to PEI
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

JMHD

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on June 05, 2019, 11:57:48 AM
Sorry that I'm getting in at the end of this but are all M8's having this issue?  I have a 2018 RG ultra... 8K on it.  Gonna def check my fluid when I get home tonight.  Going on a 4500 mile ride next week to PEI
Just about everyone I have worked on has had it to some degree, some worse than others. Just remember to check the trans on the side stand with the dipstick threaded in till the oring just touches the case (dipstick has markings)and the primary is checked with the bike straight up and level with the bottom of the pressure plate. Hope that helps and have a safe trip to the east coast. 👍👍

hd06

I believe you check both with the bike upright.

jamminhd2000

Quote from: JMHD on June 05, 2019, 12:49:52 PM
Quote from: Jaycee1964 on June 05, 2019, 11:57:48 AM
Just about everyone I have worked on has had it to some degree, some worse than others. Just remember to check the trans on the side stand with the dipstick threaded in till the oring just touches the case (dipstick has markings)and the primary is checked with the bike straight up and level with the bottom of the pressure plate. Hope that helps and have a safe trip to the east coast. 👍👍
:agree: in Touring Models