March 29, 2024, 03:50:23 AM

News:

Help!!! Advice v rod exhaust modification

Started by Spartiicus, October 19, 2014, 03:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartiicus

Hi all new to the forum  . but I have just bought myself a 2007 v rod 1130 with a lot of DIY modifications one in particular that I'm worried about. I hope the picture uploads but it appears the last owner has removed the baffle, cat, muffler mid section of pipes and replaced with straight through two into one home made job with just the end can no baffles at all ...!!!   My main concern is damage to the engine ,but  to the best of my knowledge the bike rides as it should. I have read conflicting story's about the need for back pressure from baffles .. Was hoping for any advice / opinions kind regards chris

dirty jim

WOW THAT HAS GOT TO BE L-O-U-D! I DON'T THINK 07'S HAD CATS YET (MAYBE INTERNATIONAL MODELS?). IN ANY EVENT BIKE WOULD DEFINETLY RUN BETTER WITH A MUFFLER. AND A GOOD DYNO TUNE. BY THE WAY, DON'T BRING UP "BACK PRESSURE", STARTS A LOT OF "DISCUSSION".

rbabos

Chris:  It's probably fine. Most likely it has a Power Commander on the bike. It would run like total crap without some form of fueling device, or having been tuned at some point. This engine hates too lean and will let you know in the lower rpms below 3500 by missing and bucking while driving in steady state rpms. Check the plug colours and I bet it will be on the richer end of a tune. Pipe will be sooty on the end also.  Milage is a good indicator as well. Should come in around mid to upper 30s cruising in the 4-5k range if driven in a sane manor. Below 30 is too rich, above 45 is lean. 38-41 is perfect. Another indicator is the fans constantly cycling but this is hard to determine unless you have a good tune to base what normal is.
With that exhaust, do you find yourself saying HUH a lot?
Ron

Spartiicus

Big thank you guys for the feed back I know this can be a tabu subject /  Ron some very helpful advice will def look into mpg and have a look at the plug . must say pipe is def loud and bike rides amazing I think I'm hooked on Harley Davidson no going back now. Maybe Santa will bring me some nice new pipes .. Thanks again guys